Metros win lottery

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by soccerwriter, Feb 8, 2006.

1. Flyin Ryan

Flyin Ryan Member

May 13, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *expects a David Arvizu for Jason Hernandez trade* :D

2. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We have Wynne, Altidore and Arvizu. Metro hasnt had this many highly touted young USMNT youngsters since Magee, Gaven and Clark were drafted in 2003.

Lets hope this class turns out better..at least as far as Nat team goes.

3. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    Why? So we can lose them for a third of the season? As long as MLS persists in not suspending the schedule for internationals, I don't want players on national teams.

4. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    All the more reason to keep Johnny X off the stage until we can be sure he'll be a Metro!

5. djorkaeff79

djorkaeff79 New Member

Sep 17, 2005
    Harrison, NJ
    Hm, Arvizu was real quality in the U17 matches I saw last year! Good news.

6. Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess Member

Jan 6, 2000
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i know this guy is a skilled young player but isn't he only 5'5 or richie williams size??

7. djorkaeff79

djorkaeff79 New Member

Sep 17, 2005
    Harrison, NJ
    yeah same as maradona :D

8. phillips10

phillips10 New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cranford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    yes indeed, now the key is to manage the kids better than last time...or the last 5 times

9. MLS SupaStr3

MLS SupaStr3 New Member

Jul 2, 2003
    NJ
    beasley is only 5'8"

10. metx

metx New Member

Jun 3, 2004

Hell no, are you cazy...

11. metx

metx New Member

Jun 3, 2004

¿what? shuffle it for me, plase....

12. metrofan89

metrofan89 Member

Jun 13, 2005
    Hey, I hear the league rigged this for us :rolleyes:

13. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    man, you all are a pessimistic bunch and i dont blame you at all.

14. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I'm trying to figure out which lotteries the MetroStars participated in.

I've got all of them confirmed except these:

Winston Griffiths – Dallas, Metros participation unknown
    Mario Longo – Columbus won, Metros participation unknown
    Paul Grafer – San Jose won, Metro participation unknown

Can anyone fill in the blanks?

15. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    from 'another' board:
    "Arvizu is the fourth lottery won by the Metros, following D.J. Countess (2001), Nelson Akwari (2002), and Joey DiGiamarino (2003). Amazingly, none of these players did much with the team, as Countess never played a minute for Metro (more on that later), Akwari was shipped out after a forgettable stretch, and DiGi flamed out in his return to MLS. In fact, the first two, so-called top-notch prospects, have grown to be below-average MLSers. The only one of the three still in the league is Akwari.
    The amazing thing is that the MetroStars failed to win a single lottery that they wanted to. In 2001, they lost out to San Jose on Paul Grafer, who was on loan with Metro the year before, and were forced to trade Ramiro Corrales for Grafer and his pants. In 2002, Dallas got Winston Griffiths, with Metro trading Countess to obtain the soon-to-be-departing Jamaican. In 2004, the most publicized of all MLS lotteries saw Danny Szetela go to Columbus with a look of disgust on his face.

16. Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess Member

Jan 6, 2000
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I expect Johnny X to somehow go in future lottery with some new rules and now that we won this won we will be excluded and have to give up something like an allotment, a draft pick or a player to get him back on our team where he originally was. this would be a typical MLS-Metro deal from what I have seen in past. Tell me i am wrong or paranoid.

17. Through-Ball

Through-Ball Member

Feb 8, 2002
    Wow, the Metrostars are really cleaning up this offseason. With a very young and seemingly very talented core of Wynne, Altidore, Arvizu, Gaven, Exantus (maybe) and Magee, the sky is the limit in the next few years. Plus you've got a great coach and some classy, experienced role models to learn from. It may take a few seasons to get all these guys on the same page, but d@mn the future looks bright for you guys. I guess the question of how good Lalas would be as a GM is being answered. A few more pieces and you could have a dynasty on your hands.

18. JayDelight729

JayDelight729 Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Section 101
    The same thing was also said after the "great" draft class of Gaven, Clark, and Magee.

19. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    If we had kept Clark, people might still be saying it...

20. Gints86

Gints86 Thanks Mchead

Nov 15, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    I think this could be the best news so far this year. The kid was great in the youth championships and clearly one the best players in the tournament. The size thing reallly makes no difference, I remember meeting Tab Ramos and I stand 5-9 and couldnt believe how short he was, looked about 5-4. Maradona wasnt exactly a giant either. I just hope that Lalas and Mo really push developing these players at the 18-21 stage as this could be crucial for the Nats and I do hope that these players play for Nats. At the point in time when they are ready to make that jump, the Nats should be looking damn good as far as talent goes. Point being, that if anyone of our young guys, Gaven, Josmer, David, end up playing for the Nats then we should have some damn fine players.

21. MLS SupaStr3

MLS SupaStr3 New Member

Jul 2, 2003
    NJ
    so is arvizu going to fly down to bradenton to join the metros doing the preseason soon?

22. Through-Ball

Through-Ball Member

Feb 8, 2002
    Think of it as building on that class. Although I can empathize with the cynical, somewhat traumatized Metrostars fan seeing as I am a FCD fan. ;)

23. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC

Agreed

24. wingzero13

wingzero13 New Member

May 13, 2004
    Denver, CO
    it looks like arvizu is going to join the team early next week, but he might not be staying with the metrostars very long:

http://nynj.matchnight.com/metroindex.cfm?page=ARTICLE&show=293