Metros vs San Jose - Pre Game

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by Ronaldinho11, Oct 1, 2003.

1. red&black1

red&black1 New Member

Mar 8, 2003
    Kearny NJ
    I agree with that formation also.... If we play well without Richie then Bob will have no choice but to sit him for the rest of the matches..

2. strider026

strider026 New Member

Aug 7, 2002
    Huh
    How about defense

Not a lot of defense here. Its not the strong suite for Guevara and Lisi. Gaven is learning. Leitch and Bartolomeu are not the strongest. Clark has never played D-Mid for the Metro FC.

Nice to have the skills on the field but you could see a high scoring game not in our favor.

3. tkgunn

tkgunn Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NJ
    Re: How about defense

um clark played a d-mid with williams for the first 8 games or so

4. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: How about defense

Not true. Earlier in the season Clark played as the solo d-mid for Metro when Williams was hurt for a few games. It's the best he played all season, IMHO. He also played as a second d-mid last week against DC United.

And it doesn't matter anyway, as the Metros as a team (Clark, and even the lesser defensive players like Guevara, Lisi and Gaven) don't make a lot of tactical defensive mistakes. We're not a side that loses shape often. Our problem has been careless giveaways, stupid fouls and stupid passes. Look at the last five goals we've given up in league play:

Metro 1-1 DCU

Etcheverry PK - after Leitch brings Convey down in the box. I really don't fault anyone for this - simply good build-up by DCU. It happens.

Metro 0-2 DCU

Olsen Goal - First goal comes off a set piece. Williams and DiGi had Olsen pinned to the right touchline, actually dribbling away from the goal maybe about 25 yards out. Rather than shepherding him out and waiting for the strip, Williams dives in and commits a totally unnecessary foul. I remember the entire ESC remarking at the time "Why the fvck did he do that?" On the ensuing free kick Petke outjumps Addo, and Olsen puts home the rebound.

Cerritos Goal - after Addo diddles with the ball at midfield, Stewart stips him and out-races Williams into the penalty area. Simply unacceptable from Addo.

Metros 1-2 Revs

Noonan's first goal - Williams commits a foul 40 yards from goal. Rather than stop the attempt at a quick re-start by standing over the ball, he decides to go argue with the ref. Joseph gets a free look, Noonan makes a smart run, puts Ziadie on his ass and beats Walker thanks to Jolley's deflection.

Noonan's second goal - Williams controls about 40 yards out after a Metro corner kick is cleared. He puts in a good ball that Pope is beaten to, but it's also cleared. He gets beaten to the clearance, and the ball is played quickly up to Noonan. DiGi doesn't close Noonan down and hands him off to Clark, who looks distinctly disinterested in defending at that point. Noonan puts a perfect shot upper-90 for the gamewinner.

Notice a trend? Richie's got a great work-rate and is still a decent ballwinner, but he's committing more stupid, unnecessary fouls as the season wears on; he's lost what little passing ability he once had; and he's probably the worst athlete in the league at this point.

So I won't worry about the defense even if BB decides to start Kenny freaking Arena. The problem is the team has had to make up for Williams' stupid mistakes for the past four months. Playing without him Sunday will be a blessing.

Speaking of Sundays and blessings, let's all pray for a Marlins win over the Giants today so baseball doesn't bump the Metro game to 1 a.m. Fricking playoffs.

5. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Metrostars vs San Jose [R}

I would assume my on-screen cable guide is in error but it has the match delayed 'til 11PM PDT and baseball scheduled on ESPN2 at the time the soccer match is supposed to be on.
    EDIT: Looks like it may not be an error and may actually be delayed..

6. tkgunn

tkgunn Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NJ
    i believe it all comes down to if the marlins can win tonight, if the giants win the game will be in our tv slot and the tv spot will be delayed.

7. red&black1

red&black1 New Member

Mar 8, 2003
    Kearny NJ
    Clark is the best young defensive mid in the league. He rarely gives up the ball and doesnt make bad passes(al-la Williams). He has great stamina and pace to get back on defense and to help out on offense.. he is also a good tackler. Can make accurate short passes as well. The only times he hasn't played well was on the wing.

Its time for Bob to sit Williams and keep Clark in his natural role.. while Lisi distributes from a deep midfield position.

I think Metros will do well against San Jose.

VIVA METROS!!

8. harttbeat

harttbeat Member

Dec 29, 1998
    New York
    Yeah, I am looking forward to some one two passing by the metros! Too bad William is only suspensed for 1 game.

Lisi and Clark patrolling the Metro's def mid.

9. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Game is on.... joined in progress

19th minute

tied 0 - 0

Metros away jerseys are ugly

too much white

10. Shabs

Shabs Member

Jun 19, 2002
    NYC
    Very interesting lineup to start by Bradley.

----------------Walker

Lietch------Jolley------Pope------Barthol

-----------------Regan

---Clark--------------------------Gaven

-----------------Guevara

-----------Magee------------Wolyniec

11. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Could a friendly mod put a [R] in the thread so I don' get red carded? I would start a new thread but you can't when the BSFA yellow cards you.....

12. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    26 minute
    players flopping around....

13. Metro_tico

Metro_tico New Member

Mar 31, 1999
    I'll start the thread and you can post there....

14. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

e89t7erye89rt8

can'y say what happened...... no [R]

erty9eyt98er98e89e89er88929835789234573894

15. In Bob We Trust

In Bob We Trust New Member

Jan 5, 2003
    there's no [r], so i wont say anything...but, if anyone wants to join AIM chat room "metrostars" feel free to join me