Metros vs. DC - POST Game [R]

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by Soccernuthost, Aug 25, 2002.

1. gatopreto

gatopreto Member

May 31, 2000
    NYC
    I love Faria, for the reasons you just said. But I must say Andy Williams has also been contributing a lot to the team, and busting his ass too.

2. gatopreto

gatopreto Member

May 31, 2000
    NYC
    Re: Re: Metros vs. DC - POST Game [R]

Mathis seems to refuse to play as a midfielder, even when he's assigned that role. I can see why the poster this is in response to thought it was a 4-3-3.

3. mscheffel

mscheffel New Member

Jul 29, 1999
    NJ, US
    Man, that was ugly. Complain all you want about the fact that these guys haven't played together, but there was no communication at all in the first half. The teams in the All-Star game were more coordinated.

BUT, a win is a win. Next game maybe try friggin' pressuring the other team before the 80th minute. Please????

4. gatopreto

gatopreto Member

May 31, 2000
    NYC
    Put down the crack pipe. It's frying your brain cells.

I will admit Faria has been disappointing this year vs last year, and I'm not saying that he spould be MOTM, but where the hell are you getting that he sucks and that he sits there and pouts? I think maybe you're confusing him with Diallo in regard to the pouting. Faria busts his ass for this team.

5. gatopreto

gatopreto Member

May 31, 2000
    NYC
    WTF are you talking about???

6. Richie

Richie Red Card

May 6, 1999
    Brooklyn, NY, United
    A couple of observations on this game. Our players stayed near the touch line too long on average. Trying to fight through the double teams, should have reversed our field instead. Leave them overloaded on ball side. That was stupid soccer.

Did you notice how DC trapped players near the touch? 2 players on the dribbler a double team with another defender in between the two players more inside the field. In case the dribbler some how was able to bust inside after splitting the two defenders. Good way to isolate and trap a player on the flank. Alphonse Mondelo loved to do that as well.

On why Big Mama played the flank so much? He was looking to get the first or second pass in transition when we won the ball so he could start our counter attack. Then if he could not move inside he would try to cross to Faria. Problem is Mama is one lousy crosser of the ball.

On the other side Faria did not use the flank enough. He was too inside nearer to the pressure when the ball went to him after transition to attack so he lost it.

On Mathis, yes he plays farther from the goal then the other two, but not close enough to the dribbler to get enough touches. He did not put himself in a position to get a lot of touches. He was bypassed over and over again when a team mate went to Diallo.

He needs to get a lot more touches on the ball. Then after the pass he needs to get into the flow of play more like he did on his winning finish at the end of the match.

In 1982 WC in Italy in my oppionion France had the best players of any team in the tournament. They certainly had the best play maker in Platini. The main reason as far as I am concerned why they got knocked out. Because those players just mentally refused to go out of their way to get the best passer in the game Platini the touches he needed to help them win the game.

Now the Metrostars are not the French national team, and Mathis is not Platini. But, the idea is the same. Get him a lot of touches, and he will do something to help the Metrostars win. Plus as some might remember Platini was terrific at getting in the flow of the attack close to goal if he got a return pass.

Didn't you love Mathis idea of bending the ball right with his right foot for a shot. When it was an obivious cross situation. That would have been a great surprise goal against DC. It was a great idea in any case.

Also we have a bunch of ordinary players mixed in with our gifted players. That is another problem for us.

7. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After selling my uncle on soccer in one game (the Chelsea-Man U game Friday on FSW), I convinced him to go to this one live, and proceeded to almost ruin the good work on Friday! Thankfully Clint saved it.

He liked the dramatic ending though, and thanks to ESPN radio, now knows how funny Clint sounds.

8. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Akwari looked like he might turn out to be a good player - I liked the play where he basically used his strength to toss Ben Olsen off the ball like a rag doll.

9. Soccernuthost

Soccernuthost New Member

Dec 7, 2000
    Let me 2nd that "WTF are you talking about?" Diallo was the one pouting. Even after Clint scored and the Metros won the game the only thing Diallo wanted to do was throw a tantrum because he didn't play the full 90. It's like he didn't even give a crap that the Metros won.

10. Richie

Richie Red Card

May 6, 1999
    Brooklyn, NY, United
    "Akwari looked like he might turn out to be a good player - "

Yes, he put in some good minutes. I am starting to dislike Chronopolis as an outside back.

11. retnicf

retnicf Member

May 7, 2001
    Mount Vernon, NY
    Can we play them every week? Bigger crowd, fans more into it, ESC sounding pretty damn loud. Scum go back to DC with zip. All in all, a fun day.

Clint, quite simply, did not get the ball enough. I liked what I saw from Akwari. Get him some more PT!

Overall,we haven't solved all of our problems, but we seem to be heading in the right direction.

Oh and also, this was the first time in a while I don't remember being completely p***** with the ref.

12. Mitre

Mitre New Member

Mamadou

For Mama to be effective, you need someone like a Valderrama or some good, REALLY good and dependable playmaker and passer to give it to him in space around the box, like Tab and Andy Williams did against LA. Williams is good and inconsistent (ie creative), but maybe a little too imaginative or cute with the ball. Look how many times he tried to dribble Reyes and Co. in the defense. Or that time in the 2nd half when he had TONS of room on the right side and he tried to send it across to the near side and gave it away. His team mates have no idea what he's doing sometimes. Mathis would fit into this role but he seems to disappear from the action at potentially crucial moments sometimes- he should be kept up top or near there, not playing mid and tracking back so often and then getting lost in the mix when someone boots the long ball.
    No one really stood out in this game in terms of technical brilliance. It was a choppy game (51 fouls total and 5 yellows) and the field sucked, too. Reyes, Prideaux and Pope were all over the the place. This game, at least for the Metros, was about heart and getting the spirits up. This is coming after 6 straight total losses and allowing like 16 goals in 3 games.
    In a nutshell, the Metros midfield isn't really that effective and their attack is made all too predictable with all the disjointedness there. There is no direction in the midfield and things just seem to improvised every step of the way, and other teams can just stand there waiting for a bad pass to come to them since they suddenly realize the Metros are trying too hard. Guys who aren't supposed to be tracking back on the ball (Williams) are doing just that and there is no pressure put on the opposing teams defense. Look at the 2nd part of the first half, DC defenders could be out golfing without any problems back there. There needs to be some pivotal player in the middle to control the pace -Williams fits the bill, but he needs MORE DISCIPLINE since he's too Jamaican :D. And there needs to be someone who can definitely stay out on the right side besides Diallo who can cross better. Try putting Chronopoulous there, wasn't he a midfielder originally?

13. NEKSoccer

NEKSoccer Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Long Island, NY
    Did anyone notice what I noticed?

I was at the game today and there was a pathological lack of ability on the part of both teams to put anything significant together offensively, Mathis' goal and Diallo's PK notwithstanding. 'Twas a terrible game and definitely not worth the price of admission. D.C. kept trying to put long balls into the corner and the Metros characteristically could not string passes together nor could they sustain any pressure on the D.C. goal. Play like this will not sell MLS to potential fans.

14. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For what it's worth, I think Faria is 5 times the player this year he was last year. Much less naive, able to beat a player on the dribble (he could NOT do that last year), and just all around more skilled. No, he doesn't remind you of Hasselbaink or Ronaldo and people will never forgive that here, I guess. But he's much improved - go back and watch a tape.

15. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    As ugly as they looked on the pitch this past Sunday Afternoon. I will take this victory and the 3 Pts that comes with it. Sometimes an ugly victory is what it takes to spark the club and to give them the push to go into the final 5 matches of the regualr season and take on whoever we are going to face in the playoffs.

If we are going to set up with a 3-5-2 I would like to see Ziadie, Petke, Chronopoulos on the back line
    Midifielders Williams, Moore, Paule, Jolley, & Davis.
    Up Front Clint & Diallo.

You can sub in Faria for either Clint or Diallo. Addo can fill in for Paule for a defensive middle of the midfield and Akwari for Chronopoulos at the back line.

3 Pts is what we needed and it's 3 Pts we got. Now it's off to LA and take out the Galaxy. Staying up later than usual.

16. gatopreto

gatopreto Member

May 31, 2000
    NYC
    Okay. I do have a lot of games from last year. It would be interesting to compare. :)

But people seem to be disappointed that he's not putting the ball in the net enough, that's what I meant. I'm a Faria fan.

17. TheFallen29

TheFallen29 New Member

Nov 25, 2001
    New York City
    I can't believe what I'm seeing on this thread. No, it wasn't champagne football...but, for one low low price we got:

-- A win over the Scum.

-- A clean sheet...when was the last time THAT happened? (That is, even though United couldn't score in a Bangkok whorehouse)

-- A nice turnout from the ESC.

-- Almost a lock on a playoff spot.

As someone said, it's a step in the right direction...I believe we have a good team buried under the crap tactics and blown chances...have we forgotton Metros 5-0 Galaxy so soon?

18. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    a) Short Term solution= Metros get 3 points over the 2nd worst team in MLS.
    b) Long Term problem= Metros showed no signs that they could be a dangerous team in the playoffs. It still looks like an embarassing 1st round sweep.

2. Is there any reason the Metros allow their opponents to bring up the ball to midfield unmolested? Can someone chase down one of these defenders?

3. Still no communication or chemistry on the team. Metros might have the best players in MLS, but somehow are still the worst team in MLS. San Jose have Ramiro Corrales and Manny Lagos in their starting line-ups, two Metro rejects who won't be confused for all-stars, and yet they would still easily sweep the Metros in the playoffs.

4. It's refreshing to finally read some criticism of Ross Paule. I was beginning to think that it was against the Terms of Agreement to criticize his play on these Boards. Davis should have gong in for Paule, not Diallo (his immature behavior has already been discussed at length).

19. Arisrules

Arisrules Member

Feb 19, 2000
    Washington, DC
    So I was the only person who saw Faria scream at everybody and point during the second half? Then I'm going to have to go to the videotape, because after every botched play, whether it was his fault or not, he screamed. If no one listened he pouted. Diallo is another thread, because he shouldn't be on the team in my opinion. I've said it before, but I don't think he's good for us. However, at the time he was scoring. So he was a positive. Now he's doing nothing.

Fine, put Faria and Mathis up top. Just stop the ridiculous bull of having Mathis in the midfield.

20. mscheffel

mscheffel New Member

Jul 29, 1999
    NJ, US

Outside back? I coulda sworn he was a forward who sometimes came back to defend. At least we get to see what a three person back line looks like.

21. sdipar

sdipar New Member

Dec 30, 1999
    May have not been a pretty game but the goal of gaining three points was achieved. It looked like the game plan was to let DC bring the ball to midfield without pressure to assure the Metros were in place to cover at the defensive end. Not pretty if you are looking for offense from home team, but effective as DC was not dangerous with the few exceptions of some set plays after being fouled. Paule and Moore did an effective job with what they are charged with, and that is a more defensive role. It was Paule, however, who made, at least three very good passes into space for the forwards to have some dangerous opportunities, including the one to Diallo, resulting in the blown PK. Faria frustrates 9 of 10 opportunities but works his butt off and finally (after cussing him for 80 minutes) makes you glad he was there. Similarly, the god to many, Williams does much the same. He dribbles into two and three defenders, and fails to make the simple pass 8 of 10 times, and then he somehow gets through three of those defenders creating an opportunity that amazes you. Just like this game, not pretty, but when it works, you are happy. Three points is a good thing.

22. NEKSoccer

NEKSoccer Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Long Island, NY
    Did anyone also notice that the ref at this game wasn't enforcing the 10 yard rule on free kicks? Not that anyone cares, but this is not progress where advancement of our game (the officiating in particular) is concerned.

23. marek

marek Member+

Lechia Gdańsk
    Jun 27, 2000
    Club:
    OSP Lechia Gdansk
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    First of all the 82 World Cup was in Spain. Second, France did possibly have the best team, but they got knocked out (literaly) by running into a tough German team. Or more precisley the German team (with the goalie Shumaker (sp) in the lead) running into them.

24. kenmad

kenmad New Member

Apr 10, 2002
    Sunnyside, NY

????

25. PSUdude

PSUdude New Member

Dec 15, 1998
    Elmhurst, Queens, NY

it'd be news if they DID enforce it!!! they averaged 6 yards at most yesterday...