(Metros - R)

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by nyrmetros, Sep 28, 2003.

1. AtNacional

AtNacional Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Washington DC
    Best metro game i've ever attended. While the others are probably on the bus right now or in their cars just wanted to congratulate them for coming down.
    The only song i heard from la norte all afternoon was at the end when they sang "na na na naaa....goodbyeee" that was before the metro goal. we had to go and celebrate that last minute goal in their faces...

2. sccrhound

sccrhound Member

Oct 8, 2002
    CT
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

He is out of the open cup due to his play with Franchino.

3. sccrhound

sccrhound Member

Oct 8, 2002
    CT
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with everything, except the ref. A good ref doesn't have to pull out cards for every marginal call. The best example was the Jolley Nelson cards. Totally unecessary. Should have talked to them first. He was a total FU.

Did the last game get out of hand, no.

4. Rsherwin

Rsherwin New Member

Jun 16, 2001
    Being a metro fan at the game (going to school @ American Univ.) I'll give you my take.

- Edgar was AWESOME. Wow...I haven't seen that many games this year but he played great. He has SO much speed its just simply awesome.

- Richie worked his butt off today, my hats off to him.

- Pope was Pope....solid as always.

- The Defense had a good game as a whole.

- Clint played pretty badly except for that one free kick.

- Gaven was awesome. MOM for sure.....he killed so many dc defenders it was laughable....that one more where he spun on top of the ball. Insane.

DC got outclassed, the reffing was rough at best. I'm happy no one got hurt. Clint's elbow was vicious...I've met convey in person a few times before and with his size he probably is still feeling it.

Happy for the draw...the DC fans were pissed at the final score. Clint's red will hurt us in the future I'm worried....great to see the Metro fan club fighting some DC members....I wish I was sitting with them, they brought all the security guards to their area because of the fighting. GO METROS!!

5. AtNacional

AtNacional Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Washington DC
    posted by a dc fan: Actually, La Norte were pretty quiet today. I was right between them and the MetroScum supporters group, and there's really no question who was making more noise. It was pretty damn embarassing, to be honest.

The BB and the SE's needed to bring it a little louder too.

At least La Norte could have countered "You're not singing over there" with "You're not scoring over there" ...

this says it all.
    btw if you were at the game you dont have to sit in the exact same seat that the ticket says, you should have came and hung out with us...it was FUN

6. mathismetro19

mathismetro19 New Member

Feb 4, 2003
    What I want to know is why Regan made the trip, yet Ziadie and Digi didn't.

Also, I'm the the biggest Mathis fan there is, but his red card could turn out to be really disastrous for him. Think about it: he misses the next game, so that will mean he'll have gone goalless since Sept 6. That will probably seriously hurt his chances to sign with a big European club, and he's getting old. If he doesn't have a spectacluar end to this year, well, he's running out of time.

7. In Bob We Trust

In Bob We Trust New Member

Jan 5, 2003
    - dead on about ricardo...he does have some skill with the ball, but he'll be so much better when he's the set def. midfielder and he's not counted on as much to attack, that way what he does contribute will be that much bigger bc he is capable of some things...of course this means, NO MORE RICHIE...i think it's one of my very few beefs with bob this season and it's that he's gonna ride out richie until the guy retires

- mathis had been very frustrated, and after the replay, he may not have wanted it look as bad?? but it doesnt matter to me, the play was plain stupid, it's the kind of thing dema does and i hate seeing it done by guys on my team, i rest my case on mathis and i'm happy to see more people willing to criticize him just like people are quick to praise him

- looking at the 13 yellows, haha, i do have to agree about the jolley/nelson yellows, those were unnecessary...but the last ref (prus), was on espn2 the week before and also has a history of being quick the cards...i think these past 2 refs did a good job overall of not letting the game get out of control

- last game wednesday sachin, always appreciate a mature DC post on our boards, good luck

8. djdustmite

djdustmite New Member

Aug 13, 2003
    NJ
    Gaven, Pope, Edgar, Walker and Jolley: Stellar.

I'm thrilled to see what Edgar did with a little less defensive responsibility and I can't wait to see what the future holds for that Gaven kid. He's one of the only Metros who seems able or willing to take the ball right to the defense. His efforts today almost made up for all the tentative dicking around and back-passing that we have to endure at the hands of Richie Williams.

Clint, ridiculous. When you factor in his attitude of late and utterly lamentable passing I think he'll hardly be missed in the next two matches. Did someone really suggest that the assault on Convey was unintentional? Uh-huh...

I don't know what it is but I can't stand to see that Etcheverry (sp?) score... especially on a PK, perhaps its the hair...

9. While you guys did outnumber us about 2-1 today on the end, don't be so flattered by the noise. Plain and simple, your seats had much better acoustics. I for one would like to see La Norte move up there, but it won't happen. Being under the overhang and against the wall, your sound reverberates much better.

10. Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess Member

Jan 6, 2000
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is obvious to me Clint's attitude is a problem and holding him back or he has some real demons in his closet. Right now he is a frustrated troubled player who is nowhere near the National player he is supposed to be. Gaven attacks as a 16 yr old like Clint used to. Clint talks and acts now as a Richie Williams clone on the field selfishly hurting his team time and time again with these rediculous cards and subsequent suspensions when we need him most.

Clark does look much better off of the flank now and hopefully he plays great again next game without Williams. Nice to watch Clark, Gaven, and Magee as they do play with enthusiasm.

11. Arisrules

Arisrules Member

Feb 19, 2000
    Washington, DC

Why should they make the trip? They have been the main reason for me why our team is at the place it is right now. They have been absolutley horrid. I think Regan has a much brigther future then they do.

12. Frieslander

Frieslander Member
    Staff Member

Feb 14, 2000
    North Jersey
    Yeah, we sounded great. Didn't we?

13. Two Beasleys

Two Beasleys BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 30, 2003
    Washington. DC
    What I thought was interesting was how the Metros cowered into the DC tunnel after the game instead of using the visitor's tunnel.

When Clint got sent off I could see him pointing at the tunnel and saying somehting to the effect of "don't make me go through their fans too." What a phuckin *#*#*#*#*#.

Glad to see so many of you made the trip . . . didn't get a good look at the fisttocuffs myself, but it seemed like a whole lot more chest-bumping and shoving than punching - which is a good thing.

Y'all got a point but as if it finishes like this we'll be playing each other in the playoffs right . . . or are they gonna compile the table by east vs. west? Anyway - good show today

Acoustics or no acoustics there were more of you than there were us in La Norte - but now if we consolidated La Norte, BB & SE you could never touch us home or away.

14. cliffkram

cliffkram Member

May 4, 2003
    Brum via NYC
    Cletus

Clint's attitude lately has been absolutely deplorable. Since Gold Cup he's basically been apathetic and pretty much flippant towards the game, the refs, his team, everyone but the fans (thankfully). But I seriously hope he uses the next 2 weeks to think about why he's not wearing a kit to the bench. No European club will sign him with the attitude he carries right now-- if he had the skills of a Beckham or Figo or Rivaldo then he could do what he wants and laugh and shrug off the red cards like he doesn't care, because he can just make it up by scoring 2 in the next match.

If Clint reads these boards I hope he is taking our words seriously-- [sarcasm] after all, we're fans and we know more about the game than he [/sarcasm]. Seriously though, it's crap like this that will keep us from winning any sort of cup.

15. gocaps

gocaps Member

Sep 23, 2000
    With the SEs in 134
    Clint's elbow was right in front of the SE/BB nest. It was blatant, clear, and intentional, as many others here have already said.

As talented as he is, you guys are better off without Mathis if he plays the way he did today. He had that nice free kick that Warren tipped over, but other than that he was a negative influence on the Metros' efforts - bad passing, poor decision-making with the ball, and a whole lot of whining.

Frankly, I can't believe this is the same guy who hit that bomb in Honduras in 2001.

16. Fah Que

Fah Que Member

Sep 29, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I can't believe McGee scored so many goals. 7 already? There are a lot of better strikers in MLS that don't have this many goals.

17. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    My take on Clint. A brillient goal scorer. While I don't mind him acting a bit brash and showing how much he puts it on the line. There is still the other side of Clint that tells you WHAT THE #*%$#@#$@# IS HE DOING?! I think somehow he has to control his temper and at many times it has gotten the best of him and we saw it right there this past Sunday. Both fouls that lead to Yellow Cards were pointless and shouldn't have been attempted.

Still Magee what a goal to bring us back level against the Scum. Mark Lisi placed it perfectly and Magee sneaks in behind the wall and wham. First goal Magee has scored using his head.

Eddie Gaven looked solid and troubling for DC and man did he make them look bad. All DC could do was to foul him. Can you imagine with about two more seasons under his belt what he could be and how many goals he can score. He is ours ladies and gentleman and he has been a treat to watch.

Desperetly needed that point or points of anykind this sunday. It's just a real shame that this squad didn't show us this on Thursday night. That match was the one that they should have really done the job on DC. It made Sunday's match alot bigger than it should have been. If Metro would have at least leveled it up on Thursday or didn't allow Olsen's first goal early in the match then it would have been a different story. Don't get me wrong all matches are big for Metro but if they would have done a much better job at the Swamp, than this match wouldn't have loomed so largely.

Time to take out DC in the Semi-Finals of the Open Cup Wednesday. Time to make and take the next step to move forward for the Metro to take their first US Open Cup Final.

18. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Look for Clint's autobiography "How to Throw Your Career Down the Toilet" at a bookstore near you.

He went from the Sports Illustrated cover boy to the biggest bufoon in MLS. While someone like a Kovalenko would have deserved it, Clint's elbow on Convey was unprovoked, intentional and despicable. Having said that, I wouldn't blame MLS for throwing in an extra game suspension. Worst case, he'll get a fine for it. Disgraceful.

The only good that came out of it is Juskowiak gets to start. He's done nothing to merit a starting job based on his short stints so far, but the only way to tell what he can do is to play a full 90 minutes. If he's only going to come in for mop-up duty, what was the sense of bringing him in this late in the season?

Good move to start Edgar over DiGi. Even Chris Leitch has now jumped over Galvan for a midfield spot. Galvan should just take the next plane back to Argentina (and take Forchetti with him).

19. bukie2k

bukie2k Member

Mar 28, 2002
    New Jersey
    Magee is more of a vulture than striker. Other than the goal against LA in June all have been of the re-directed shot or cleaning up someone else's scraps variety. Bottom line, a goal is a goal.

20. Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess Member

Jan 6, 2000
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A long time ago in the 60s the NY Yankees had a great up and coming , unlimited poetential player named Joe Pepitone who basicaly threw a great career and turned it into an average one. Is this what Clint is now doing??? Pepitone wrote a book called "Joe, you couda made me proud", somehow I feel Clint is going the same way right now. Say goodbye to National Team and Europe.

21. Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess Member

Jan 6, 2000
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Cletus

22. Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess Member

Jan 6, 2000
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cliffkram's post basically sums up what a lot of us have been thinking the past month or two about Clint's game.

23. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    A fair statement, but maybe he's also better than you think. People can criticize him for being a vulture, but to be a vulture, you still have to be in position, and you still have to finish. Hard to argue he hasn't made the most of some opportunities.

24. Wabbit67

Wabbit67 Member

May 19, 2002
    Avon-by-the-Sea, NJ
    I thought the ref's worst gaffe of the day was on the placement of the penalty kick. That ball looked like it was 2 to 3 feet in front of the penalty spot. Addo, Walker, et al brought it to ref's attention and he never made Etchevarry move the ball. Don't get me wrong. I think Etchevarry would have scored from the spot, but you've got to place the ball correctly, especially when the other team points out the ball is not on the spot!

25. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    I think Clint getting tossed was part of the grand plan. We seem to be able to beat you guys 11 on 11, but we can't beat you when you have a man down.

:D

Sachin