Metros pick up Suarez

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by subbuteo, Jun 29, 2005.

1. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One day MLS will have enough passion that people won't be rooting for a pair of bitter rivals. Right now, the passion is building and therefore I have no problem with someone who likes both Metro and DC.

2. MightyMouse

MightyMouse BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 19, 2003
    Island paradise east of the mainland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Suarez and his protective headgear...

make me cringe!

Ugh! I hate protective headgear, be a man, get a big round shiner like McBride does when he goes crazy slamming his head into other people! But headgear? Drop it like its hot, cause its not, it ain't coo to be a foo!

I think Suarez has the tools to be a good defender, hell the man played a game or two for the US nats, but that headgear is totally anti cool material. Hate the headgear and I wish it was outlawed across the great land of soccer. Sure there are people who are one hit away from being vegetables, but damnit, at least they look good when they become a vegetable!

3. regulator

regulator Member

Apr 25, 2004
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it also ain't cool to crazy slam your head into someone and get a concussion

4. Simon Birch

Simon Birch New Member

Aug 4, 2003
    With McOwen's Monkey
    Ryan Suarez adds some bite to a very soft team that is not very physical. He'll help win balls in the air and is a strong presence in the central defense. He also has some savvy on the ball and will finally be a change from Jeff Parke's constant booting of the ball up field without even glancing. Suarez has played with the national team a few times and his presence on the field also has a plus because he is bi-lingual.

We needed a Ryan Suarez on the backline, though I am suprised that Bradley would go after him. Next stop, obtaining a left mid to stretch the field a little.

5. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Ditto.

People need to look at these trades for what they are. Picking up Suarez doesn't mean Metro have been looking for him to solve our central defense problems. Suarez is not a big time defensive stopper, he is an experianced defender in MLS brought in to supply depth to a very weak area on our team.

We do not lose anything by giving him a shot except maybe 50K in salary for the yaer. We didn't lose a player or allocation money. If he sucks well then he won't play and won't be on the team next year..big deal. If he plays well then he will shore up our central defense or provide cover for an injured Agoos.

Risk reward on this move is pretty good...i can't see why anyone would complain too much about this.

6. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't Neil Barrett a left-mid? I hear its pretty likely he will sign.

7. okcomputer

okcomputer Member

Jun 25, 2003
    dc
    I'd love to see him in defensive midfield. We are the softest team in the league there.

8. Shaydee

Shaydee Member

Apr 8, 2002
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is he actually going to come??? He said he doesn't want to leave LA. He just bought a home in LA and wasn't gonna play this year until the Goats came calling.

9. Metros Striker10

Metros Striker10 New Member

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    I also for the idea of him in the midfield. Bradley right now isn't providing that defense that is needed. The team needs a real DM because having Amado running back won't help them.

10. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

I still don't know what to say. I'm in utter disbelief at the randomness of this move.

11. fan

fan New Member

Jan 21, 1999

I haven't been following Suarez, but something makes me hope very badly that he will not be playing central defense.

Now, if he can be a decent D-mid, scaring the cr@p out of strikers / A-mids on the transition, then he would be a welcome replacement of our current PowerPuff D-mids (with exception of Guevara, who can play D-mid very well thank you very much).

12. trmtrm

trmtrm Member

Sep 19, 2002
    New Sweater
    Yeah, we need a Buttercup at D-mid. Blossom and Bubbles just don't cut it.

13. SFA1

SFA1 New Member

Apr 30, 2004
    He made all-star in 2002. Still fairly young at 27. I think Chivas svcks and can't score goals. Has good size and could be the player to shore up the defense.

14. stinky

stinky Member

May 14, 2000
    Long Beach, NY
    good pickup. hopefully parkes sees pine.

and yes, hate the headgear. needs to go.

15. SFA1

SFA1 New Member

Apr 30, 2004
    I hope they get paired together. Parke does not work well with Agoos. Agoos needs to come off the bench. Without headgear he will look simiar to Agoos.

16. SFA1

SFA1 New Member

Apr 30, 2004
  17. Deuteriumoxide

May 27, 2003
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I still say he is a worthless hack... but i hope he proves me wrong and I'm not at all upset we grabbed a player on a free.

Maybe this team needs a little thuggery.

18. locolos

locolos New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    New York
    Great signing.... great!

19. locolos

locolos New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    New York
    ditto, this will be the move.

20. Jman81

Jman81 New Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Jersey City, NJ
    Well that's just the thing with me... they are bitter rivals just 4 games out of the whole season, excluding playoffs. In fact, a big reason why I have liked both teams is because of this rivalry. They always play amazing soccer when they play one another; they bring out the best in each other. I really believe this is the best rivalry in the league, I just don't associate rivalry = hatred; at least not in this case. And there is definitely passion going around in this league. Hell, I was just told a few posts before I would get bitchslaped if I were to meet up with a certain metros fan. :D

Now, getting back to suarez. In retrospect, with our free spaces we have open, and the meager salary a suarez would cost us in one season, then this deal doesn't seem that bad anymore. In chivas, suarez has looked bad because their midfield are non-existent, and in a way exagerate how badly the defence seem. In a team with a real midfield and loaded with proffessionals, suarez may be able to actually shine. One thing I can't take away from the man is that he brings everything he has to his games and is a great vocal presence, some things this team lack sometimes.

21. DJNaco

DJNaco New Member

Jun 23, 1999
    North Florida
    There's nothing wrong with supporting rival teams - for example, I've caught my share of heat for supporting the Yankees in the playoffs even though I'm a longtime Mets fan.

But, you have to understand that people are going to take your advice on what the team should do with a grain of salt. After all, what's good for Metro is bad for DC and what's good for DC is bad for Metro.

Oh, and back on topic, I think this was an obvious move (pretty far from "random"). We clearly need more physicality in the back, and Suarez provides that. Is he national-team quality anymore? No. Will his presence improve the team? Yes.

22. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's that? The Clash is back and a new song just came out: "houston calling"....

hey, my post is as irrelevant as any.....

23. lfcli30

lfcli30 Member

Jun 21, 2005
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What Devils fans?

Try wearing a Ranger Jersey at the Nassau Coliseum when the teams aren't playing each other, you are guaranteed to have either nachos, pretzels or yummy sushi dumped on your head. IMO Rangers Islanders is only second to Yankees Red Sox in hatred factor.

24. MetroSexual

MetroSexual New Member

May 23, 2005
    PA
    DO you remember the thuggery that defender Daniel Hernandez provided?

25. Ray Luca

Ray Luca BigSoccer Yellow Card

Feb 2, 2005
    I liked hernandez if he thought an opponent victimized him he would smile at the guy. Then latter in the game you see him continue playing and that player was laid out some how. I had players that would do that the same way.

Most of the time they never got caught.