Metros-Fire June 14[R]

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by Father Ted, Jun 10, 2003.

1. DoctorK

DoctorK New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    NorthBank, Riverbend
    Re: Re: Zach Thornton is a PUNK

What European football have you been watching? This is the first time I've ever heard anyone so stupid as to suggest a team that is behind shouldn't collect the ball out of the goal. Punk move? You are simply ignorant.

2. Richie

Richie Red Card

May 6, 1999
    Brooklyn, NY, United
    Taking about Williams at least 3 times in the game he was up and close enought to dribble and shoot under no immediate pressure. He kept passing up that opportunity to pass the ball out to the flank.

Frankly, his field position was a more dangerous position at these times then a pass to the flank.

-------

On clark he played pretty well but he will not make the National team and we will not win in the short term now if he can't score when he moves up in the flow and get his shots off.

Richie

3. strider026

strider026 New Member

Aug 7, 2002
    Huh
    This is not the youth team forum please. Gaven plays for the Metros.

4. Richie

Richie Red Card

May 6, 1999
    Brooklyn, NY, United
    When your team is behind, and you team scores no one on your team trys to get that ball to restart play in a hurry? Bullshiite.

Guevera should have stuck his fingers in Thorton's eyes and make it look like a push.

5. Fireball_Dan

Fireball_Dan New Member

Jul 10, 2001
    Palos Park, IL
    Good! Then Guevarra could get sent off and be suspended for two games!

6. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was at the game in 101. Stayed in the rain. Got soaked. The color of my new "red" Metros hat "ran". Best chant I ever heard in 101: "Rain puts out the Fire!!!"

Why do us Metro fans "bait" players like Kreis, Thornton, Razov, or even Albright, with "US reject". Every time we do it, they score and/or have a great game. We are not "irritating" them, we are instead "motivating" them. Are we not hurting the Metros with that chant?

Razov played with spirit. No doubt playing against Senior Arena's kid (and sending him to the bench) gave mucho motivation to Razov. Btw, there is absolutely no "shame" in being a US reject especially if you have earned caps.

Junior Arena would be better off playing in the A-League than sitting on the bench in MLS. His game is clearing below MLS standards and his only hope of raising it is to play often.

7. Richie

Richie Red Card

May 6, 1999
    Brooklyn, NY, United
    Not if you know how to do it. It looks like a little push it doesn't even get you a yellow card most of the time. Ever watch Carlos Lamosa do them with those long fingers of his. I heard someone thought him how to do that, and to make it look like a little push when he played here in Brooklyn for a while with a local club team.

8. Fireball_Dan

Fireball_Dan New Member

Jul 10, 2001
    Palos Park, IL
    Actually, I thought Hall officiated an OK game.

9. Richie

Richie Red Card

May 6, 1999
    Brooklyn, NY, United
    This was funny. You know the 2 guys each with a drum that walk around the stadium and gives everyone a headache when they get close?

They get to a guy who must of asked them if he can beat the drum for a second. They let him the guy must have been a graduate at the julliard school of Music. He sounds real good so good that people stopped watching the game to watch this guy play.

The look of the guy who was the guy who banged the drum before was priceless. You could see he was thinking shiite they are going to give my job to this guy. After he finsihed the whole area applauded him.

Best part of the whole day.

10. keeper3953

keeper3953 New Member

Jan 27, 2001
    grafer not horrible....however not good...he needs to make a save on at least 1 of the 3 goals..damani ralph he came out late and ante's last goal he didnt even get off the gorudn...and he was positioned bad....did anyone else see that dive? gravity must affect graffer 10x mroe than anyone else

11. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Bingo!

As far as Thornton is concerned, he should have been red carded. I was in such a rage I tried to get over to 101 after the match to heave my invective and spit on his filthy skinhead. I had made it to 103 by the time he disappeared down the runway. Too bad. You would have seen a show. I was maniacal. The league will take no action, so forget about that. Chicago will be back on August 24. I'll be ready for that prick if he pulls a stunt like that again. And I won't need an invitation.

The minute Chicago got its second, I knew the Metros were dead. Guevara's got to be put up front with Galvan and Clark feeding him, but I believe Bradley will have Wolyniec teamed with Magee in front against LA. He's going to want Wolyniec's muscle in there.

I don't want to dump on Grafer, but they better do the Jonny Walker thing, unless there's some other option we don't know about.

12. bukie2k

bukie2k Member

Mar 28, 2002
    New Jersey
    The play-acting is as much a part of the Central and South American game as is the rolling on the ground every time the breeze blows. Remember last years WC match between Turkey and Brazil? Rivaldo gets hit in the thigh with a ball and falls to the ground holding his face like someone just shoved an icepick in his eye. While I don't think punishment for life is called for some sort of deterent is warrented for such acts.

13. Billyhunt

Billyhunt New Member

Apr 13, 2003
    Hamden CT
    Trying to defend Thorton or deflect some of the blame to Gueverra is just sick, that was the worst thing I've seen a keeper do since Patrick Battiston got pole axed at the 1982 world cup which amazingly didn't warrant a red card either some how, Gueverra could easily have gotten severly injured if his head had made contact with any of the metal on the goal posts. Thorton should be suspend at least 3-5 games.....

14. Iceblink

Iceblink Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see it all the time when time's running out. In truth, I think it's fine, because teams that are ahead always have time-wasting strategies.

However, I wonder if it's really faster. Does it really put the ball into play more quickly if the guy runs into the net and brings the ball back with him?

It would seem to me that if he immediately ran back to the center to prepare for the next kickoff, a ball would be waiting for him. See, there are multiple match balls. That wasn't the ball. That was a ball. Look how much time it ended up wasting.

I do think there probably is a mental factor to doing that, though. Not even referring to this particular match... it does seem to be a taunt of the keeper saying, "We got one back. There are more to come. Get ready."

15. DJPoopypants

DJPoopypants New Member

Can you take your idiocy elsewhere? Your constant justification is not just plain wrong, but dumber than betting on a one-legged horse.

If the ball was left in the net, Fat Zachy would still be lumbering his bulk in the goalie box by the time the metros were ready to reset. Other gameballs are not used when a goal is scored - only when the ball is booted into the stands or far away from play.

Go back to your own dumb and dumberer kind.

16. CosmosKramer

CosmosKramer Member

Sep 24, 2000
    Yokohama
    Club:
    Yokohama F Marinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I agree 100%. "US reject" really isn't that smart, as it only seems to pump these guys up - though I admit I was yelling it along with everyone else.

Redcard, BTW, when I'm President, you will be my Foreign Policy advisor.

17. JerzyRebel

JerzyRebel New Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Land of Paulie Walnuts
    So much for that claim that Ricardo Clark dove. MLS Wrap replay clearly shows Whitfield giving a two-handed shove into Clark's back that sent him to the ground. Talk about being blinded by your team allegiance.

As for defending Zach, you guys really are pitiful. Thank Hall for once again being a player's ref and not sending someone off who deserved it. Zach can go on thinking he's the baddest man in MLS because he's the biggest. Guess that's why he chose soccer, so he could bully people. If he had played football he would have been out of the game in college and bouncing at strip clubs by now.

18. BhoysFC1995

BhoysFC1995 New Member

Nov 30, 1999
    NYC
    clearly look at the replay- guevara had zach on a headlock, he pushed him off. that being said, zack could have been given a card for doing it, but guevara deserved one for that 'act'.

and whoever thinks grafer should bethe first choice is crazy, give clint the 2nd a chance.

19. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    I have. Guevara had his arm around Thornton's neck and shoulder. This was hardly your classic "headlock." Guevara was saying something to Thornton. There's probably a 99% chance it was in Spanish and Thornton would not have understood it. Guevara was not irate nor animated as he spoke. He was calm. I don't believe he was saying anything untoward. Thornton put his hand on Guevara's face and pushed him down. Some "act."

20. Attacking Minded

Attacking Minded New Member

Jun 22, 2002
    Re: Re: Metros-Fire June 14[R]

Clark has had this problem for a while. I don't know why. He has the skill to get this shot off but it never seems to go on frame. Maybe some youth coach screwed his head or something. Maybe he tries to get a shot of that looks good rather than gets on goal. I don't know.

21. Bigfoot

Bigfoot New Member

It's been obvious, even with Mathis in the lineup, the Metro need to add another scoring option from somewhere.

The Mathis-Magee-Guevara-Lisi attack just doesn't give enough options to unsettle a defense and too often relies on Mathis's ability to make something out of nothing to get the job done.

With Mathis gone this is even more apparent.

I was wondering why Bradley didn't bring Clark into the attack more often. After yesterday I'm beginning to see why.

22. DoctorK

DoctorK New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    NorthBank, Riverbend
    Thornton looked savage going after Guevera. I've never seen anything like it on a soccer pitch. The photo in this morning's NY Times gives an interesting perspective you won't get from the video. You see Guevera's arms outstretched, and Zach going at him like Tyson in heat. The only explanation for Hall not red carding Thornton is that he was afraid he would be attacked in similar fashion.

I'm curious as to what Guevera said AFTER making his PK.

As for psychological advantage to grabbing the ball in the net, you aren't thinking of the keeper, but motivating yourself and your teammates to not let up.

23. Richie

Richie Red Card

May 6, 1999
    Brooklyn, NY, United
    We used to do that with Refs who did Metrostar games in the first year, and were now back officiating in local league games.

It is a hell of a lot of fun. We all get a kick out of it if you love to break balls :)

Richie

24. Iceblink

Iceblink Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Personally, I think I've been pretty reasonable. I also think I could keep up with anyone your age who's not yet potty trained in the intelligence department.

If you would read before you'd post, in my last post, I wasn't justifying anything. I was merely wondering if it really sped up the game. I also said that I thought the practice was fine, since the winning team tends to waste time... another practice I don't really like.

How short-sighted. I'll take the one-legged horse over the no-legged horse or the dead horse any day.

Thanks for answering my question. You were a complete dick about it, but thanks anyway.

Well, see, we'll test this theory of justification of yours. You've now called me an idiot, dumb, and dumberer. I now feel justified in calling you a fuckhead. If things work the same way for you that they do for Guevara, you should get away with the initial jackass behavior, and I should get a yellow card for my reaction... though it'll be worth it. It probably was for Zach too. I hate having little gnats like you buzzing around my head too.

25. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The pk was justified. I saw it. 2-handed deliberate push in the back. A foolish play that was asking for it.

Guevera can teach the US players what is called "gamesmanship". He initiated the conflict then played his cards based on how Thorton played his. Getting your opponent to commit to a red-card disqualifying act is something David Beckham knows all about. Unfortunately it is part of the game, and even more unfortunately, US players are not adept at it.