Metros cling to first place.(R)

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by nymetrostars2002, Aug 10, 2002.

1. nymetrostars2002

nymetrostars2002 New Member

Jan 11, 2002
    bronx ny
    with chicagos lose to dallas burn(1-3),metros remain in first place pending the out come of tonights Crew vs. rapids match. never the less the metros need to get healthy soon if they are to make a serious run for the cup.

2. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They need to get healthy period. Right now they are playing the worst soccer in the league.

Btw, what's the point of putting (R) after the title if you are giving away the result in the title?

3. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    Don't forget that the Crew were also a point behind us and they lost their match against Colorado. So Metro remain upfront ahead of both Chicago & Columbus who are a pt behind us.

4. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    At least we're not the worst team in NY/NJ......the Power lost their last regular season game last night to finish 3-16-1.

It looks very likely that the MLS Eastern divisional winner will have a losing record. This is where Garber should pull a Vince McMahon and change the rules so that the playoffs include only the teams in the West division.

5. nymetrostars2002

Jan 11, 2002
    bronx ny
    only the real high IQ people like yourself could notice!

6. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not the moderator to make judgement of specific cases, but it is my understanding of the rules that results should not be in the title and instead the (r) should be used. Putting both the result and the (r) into a title would seem to be a contradiction/oxymoron.

7. MetroZebra

MetroZebra New Member

May 24, 2002
    "This is where Garber should pull a Vince McMahon and change the rules so that the playoffs include only the teams in the West division."

Well put. I think that it is only fair to the other teams and to the fans to see the top teams in the playoffs. Whoever wins the East is going to have a .500 record or right around there. I know I want the Metros to get in, but being awarded second place for winning the division just doesn't seem right, being that the third place team will probably have more points and a better record. See what I'm sayin'??

8. Bigfoot

Bigfoot New Member

No I don't.

This isn't a single table league and it probably never will be.

How can you even suggest changing the rules 3/4 of the way through the season is fair.

9. MetroZebra

MetroZebra New Member

May 24, 2002
    But wouldn't it be so much better if it WAS a single table format? no East or West, just one 1st division like they do it around the world?

10. Speedball

Speedball Member

Feb 27, 1999
    Harrison Stadium
    Unless you want to see more games versus Colorado, Dallas and Kansas City and fewer versus DC, New England and Chicago, the East and West divisions work just fine.

11. the-beaver

the-beaver New Member

Jul 17, 2002
    NJ
    so, the team has played the year without the $275,000 man(Balboa) for the year, Mathis has only played a handful of games 4 months ago, Ramos has been missed for months, Davis has been sorely missed for the last 5 plus games, we traded 5 important starters, and finally OZ changed formation on a game by game basis........... yet we are still in FIRST PLACE. Instead of playa-hating, I think we should be happy the team has put together the record that they have so far with average talent (Addo, Moore). No excuses, the team is mediocre right now. But, we should still have a "glass half full" belief right now, because when this team is healthy at the end of the month........ I see a sick winning streak coming our way.

12. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We should be positive about our prospects if only because we've stunk the joint up way too many times this year and we're still on top. Nobody in the East is good enough to put together a serious run right now, so anything over .500 ball from now until the end of the season will likely get us the conference. Plus, we're helped by three matches against DC -- last in the league, one point on the road this season, no goals in nearly six matches, and no meaningful goals since Monica Lewinsky was on her knees in the White House.

Then again, is there anybody in Jersey who's giddy about schlepping out to Mitchel four times between mid-September and mid-October?

13. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    I'm okay with that, as long as we have shuttles from Hempstead or Mineola. I'd rather the LIRR than sit in a bus trying to get to the Lincoln tunnel. With PA, just getting a bus is a major deal!

14. bukie2k

bukie2k Member

Mar 28, 2002
    New Jersey
    Great way to reward the long time NJ season ticket holders. Both Metros and NJSEA should be strung up over this nonsense.

15. Speedball

Speedball Member

Feb 27, 1999
    Harrison Stadium
    I've been a season ticket holder since day one and have been to every single Metros home game except for about 5 or 6. There is no way, however, that I can make it to a weekday game on Long Island. It would probably take me 3 hours to get from work (Somerset, NJ) to Mitchell Field. I expect a refund or credit for those games.

Thank you, NJSEA :mad: (bukie2k, don't blame the Metros for this one).

16. nymetrostars2002

Jan 11, 2002
    bronx ny
    i see your point about the trip to mitchell,but i hope we get to go to New england for the MLS Cup.

17. Bigfoot

Bigfoot New Member

Maybe NJSEA will "help" the Metro, like Zoffinger claims they want to, by making some realistic playoff dates available.

I'm not holding my breath.

18. MetroZebra

MetroZebra New Member

May 24, 2002

19. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    MLS should take a long hard look after the season about doing this for next year. It should be the top 4 teams in MLS making the playoffs, not 8 out of 10.

This would make the games more competitive than what we've seen so far since the regular season is turning out to be a "glorified exhibition schedule". If almost everyone makes the playoffs, why would teams want to treat each-and-every game as a "must-win"?

If the Metros (or whoever) win the East with a losing record, it certainly would cast a credibility issue with MLS (as if it already doesn't have it's share of problems).

20. MetroZebra

MetroZebra New Member

May 24, 2002
    Amen brother! That's exactly what I'm sayin'!! Now we just need to convince American management who don't have a clue about soccer, the fans, the World's game, and being a attarctive competitive league. Well, better put another log on the fire and grab a beer, it's gonna be a whle......

21. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Re: Re: Metros cling to first place.(R)

Good point. I think MLS should change to 1 table, with each team playing each other 4 times for a total of 36 games each. The points leader is the Champion, no playoffs, just like most other leagues in the World.

22. g bugout

g bugout Member

Jan 27, 2002
    nyc
    So then, you need to run a concurrent league cup, which would be nice. The clubs clearly out of contention for the title can still try for some hardware (I'm not talking Lamar Hunt).

Back to the now. We are in first of our division, legitamately. Tied on games played w/ chi-town, one ahead of the mega-moos. Not bad. Not dazzling either.

Let's see what happens Saturday. I won't make predictions on the game. It seems like everyone gets excited (3-1 Metro!) and then they go down.

So let's wait until Saturday so we can shout in unison: "FIRE OZ!" a thousand times or so. Hey, it worked to get rid of Villegas and Walsh. You knew they were on their way out, we rode them until something was done.

-g bugout

23. nymetrostars2002

Jan 11, 2002
    bronx ny
    seems like most people want the sigle table format.that would make for move hard-faught games for sure!

24. MetroZebra

MetroZebra New Member

May 24, 2002
    However, this is why it will never happen....