Metros Business 2003 & MPF

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by Metros Front Office, Oct 31, 2003.

1. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    If they bought a ticket, who cares why they showed up?

2. Arisrules

Arisrules Member

Feb 19, 2000
    Washington, DC
    I don't think he's lying. I think they are talking about median, which in my view, is the much more important statistic to look at. This is mainly because the mean is much more easily skewed by inflated double-header attendance figures (and really low bad days).

3. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    The MFO sais that Metrostars merchandise sales are up..... how about the 2003 home jersey? Has the sales of that particular item increased? Especially since you can buy them everywhere now... and of course they actually fit most people...

4. feuerfex

feuerfex Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Folks, you've got to distance yourself from your "fan-ness" when you are talking about a business surviving. If my job is to sell tickets, I'll take 20000 per match vs 15000 per match anyday. I don't care if they came in to watch the birds migrate over the swamps. Butts in the seats = $$. More butts in the seats = more $$. Whatever gets them to come to the stadium is good. Read Bill Veeck's book.

When you've got a bulging bank account and are making money hand over fist then you can be selective about your customers and their motivations. But until then, bring 'em on, whoever, whatever, however.

5. feuerfex

feuerfex Member

Apr 21, 2001
    They said average. If they don't know the difference between the median and the mean, they should find someone in the office who does (assuming that there is someone, of course).

Then again, maybe there isn't anyone, which might go a long way to helping explain their apparent ineptitude.

6. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cause if it's a double header, half of that money has to go to the first two teams playing anyway. Plus if the idea is to try and measure your fanbase, doubleheaders give you a skewed version of what that fan base is.

7. feuerfex

feuerfex Member

Apr 21, 2001
    This is an unverified assumption.
    So we quit doing doubleheaders and giving up the income that they provide just so that we can get a "good" measure of what the fanbase is?

(You don't work for the MFO do you? It sounds like you'd fit right in.)

8. Real Ray

Real Ray Member

May 1, 2000
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think voros' point is fair and his breakdown of the attendance a good point.

The one point where I would be a little skeptical re: the DH's is on the issue of FieldTurf. Did they actually want to have more DH's but ran into trouble with teams not wanting to play in GS, and then decide to use this as a way to measure the fanbase, or was it a point from the get-go?

9. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    Oh my god! I just listened to the Metal Mike thing. That is seriously the most embarassing, dumbest thing I have ever heard. Of course, the concept is ridiculous and non-sensical, but the song took 10 seconds to write. C'mon, at least do something a little bit more fun and original.

10. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Soy Del Metro!

11. feuerfex

feuerfex Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Hmmmm. 10211 on a nice 71 degree day. (That's even less than the quakes average.)

Should we conclude that MPF was not an unqualified success?

12. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004

Its was as sucess dams its!

13. jkl;

jkl; New Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Re: Re: Metros Business 2003 & MPF

I don't like MPF either, but, as for the TV ratings...
    In all honesty, the Devils and Nets have downright poor TV ratings (hockey has poor ratings in general right now). Everyone in NY/North Jersey is a Rangers or Islanders Fan, and nobody watches them on MSG and ESPN2.
    Speaking of the Nets, most of their games last year were almost empty too, so complaining about our attendance figures or our empty stands is nothing. Look at how empty Nets games are. If we get 10,000 it must be almost triple their attendance.

14. Brrca Fan redded

Brrca Fan redded Red Card

Aug 6, 2002
    Chasing Tornadoes.
    Is it also true that Metros will saving more money next season by playing in the GS,s parking lot?.

15. LESTER

LESTER New Member

Nov 4, 2002
    NYC
    So I said I would withhold judgment until after seeing the attendance, and I did. Now, I feel comfortable saying that the MFO is a bunch of talentless hacks, who probably couldn't sell free sex to a convict finishing a 20-year sentence. What a f'ing joke. 10,000 on a night like that. What will it take for Nick to get fired? This is the biggest market in the bloody world, and he wants to be congratulated for a 15k median. Piss off, Nick. PISS OFF!

16. metrocorazon

metrocorazon Member

May 14, 2000
    Re: Re: Re: Metros Business 2003 & MPF

THe Nets and Devils also play a heck of alot more games than Metro so expecting fans to make the trek out there everynight on schoolnights is a stretch. They also dont get 10000 fans for a Playoff.

17. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Re: Re: Re: Metros Business 2003 & MPF

Not a fair comparison because the Nets play 41 home games, compared to the Metros 14. Also, the cheapest lower tier seat at Nets game is $70, while it's $18 for the Metros.

They averaged about 12K last year in a 20K stadium, which is woeful, but I wouldn't exactly call that "almost empty".

18. The Notorious Biggie

Nov 23, 1998
    Sadly, this is what I've been talking about for a couple of years. I'm sure that if we had access to TicketMaster's tallies, we would learn that the MFO has been padding the stats. I judge the attendance from what I have been seeing on TV- I would never be able to buy Section 110 or 111, or 112, rows 1- 8 in previous years. And that was when my guy was there in sales. He would definitely tell you why a person should support American soccer.

What has been the difference between this MFO and the previous regime- NOTHING! When all the great tales came up for Nick: "Exec of the Year" (despite Tampa's folding) I pretty much saw the fate of the MLS and its #1 market. The recent attendance articles showed me the proof.

And it seems the lesson was not understood by the WUSA. The lesson starts with the same premise- if you want to build soccer, start by using those who have built and continue to build from the grassroots of soccer- not pinstriped yuckleheads. If I were to open a fruit stand, I'd go get a guy who cleaned the fruit at my local supermarket- Not someone who took sales classes at college.

19. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    This is a nice thread to bump, in the wake of Guppy being hired as the Fire's President and CEO.

20. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    Oh yes, this one is a dandy.

21. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton
    This thread is great from post one. I love it....