Metro vs Burn Post Game [R]

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by topcow, Aug 17, 2002.

1. Soccernuthost

Soccernuthost New Member

Dec 7, 2000
    He was invisible as always.

I'm starting to believe that Lisi is really a striker not a midfielder. He can be invisible for 85 minutes but if there is a loose ball in the box he can poach and finish it. Lisi looks completely lost in the midfield.

2. StarPetke12

StarPetke12 New Member

Aug 7, 2002
    Franklin Square,Ny
    Even though Mathis and Davis were returning from injuries, I still don't think that OZ should have taken them out at relatively the same time. Dallas obviously played better in the second half, so we put in Lisi and Diallo to compensate for that? At least Mathis is a team player. He sees the field better than anyone on the team and did make some nice plays, even though we lost the ball soon after them. Diallo was put in just to score a goal, so we reluctantly passed him the ball and nothing happened. Our defense made many mistakes, but held strong the first half. Our center-mid was nowhere to be seen. I was watching the SJ game earlier and even Landon Donovan hustled back to play some defense from the attacking midfielder position. Good plays always start from the defense, so the defense has to actually win the ball before we can do anything, and when we do win he ball, we lose it right away because there are no midfielders back to mark. I dont understand what happened to us. We went from decent to crap in a matter of minutes. If the Metros don't get a win on the 25th then there is no way we'll even come close to Jolley's prediction.

3. CRSvideo

CRSvideo Member

Jul 24, 1999
    New York, NY
    A few things. First, I thought Mathis played poorly. His touch was good, but he didn't do much to put a stamp on the game. Didn't look like he wanted to score. No killer instinct that typifies his game when he is at his best. That one play in the second half shortly before he was subbed when he had the ball just past the halfway line, and not like no defenders in front of him, he seemed to pause (and for a while too) as if he was deciding to try to go for the goal or not. The old Clint would have been on that without any hesitation. Now I'll give that this was his first match back in a long time, and the team has changed quite a bit since he last played with them, so figure there's still a lot of improvement to come in his game, but I don't understand the people on this board that though he played well last night, because I thought the opposite.

Second, I think a few people posted that they didn't understand why Diallo was on the wing so often, that he should have been in front of the goal so he could score. They way I saw it when he came in he did hang out in front of the goal, but never got the ball while he was there. With not too much time left in the game and the team down a goal, he moved out to the wing in order to be able to recieve the ball. Not too bad a decision on his part because he does have dribbling skills and did create dangerout opportunities when he did get the ball out wide. And though it didn't result in any goals for the team last night, it has in the past.

Still, I agree with most that the team doesn't look like its playing like a team. We do seem to have talent (especially in attack). Would like to see a forward tandem of Mathis and Diallo up top with Williams behind them (like duh...), Faria comming of the bench to provide fresh legs for whoever is tired first. Defence? I just don't know. Petke and Jolley have been good in the past, they just don't seem to be playing well at all now. Hopefully they can pull it together soon.

chris...

4. After seeing this game, don't you wish we had the depth of Dallas? They bring some damn good players off the bench. Meanwhile, we bring in Lisi.

5. brumbear

brumbear New Member

Dec 18, 1999
    Hopatcong N.J.
    I keep asking myself why we got rid of Mark Chung for a guy I have never seen in a metro uniform SOMEONE SCREWED THAT ONE UP!!!!!!!!!! but thats history.
    The defense is bad but we make up for it cause our midfield stinks and we can not score either.
    As for players it doesn't matter anymore the team has crashed and burned they must wait till next year, cracky ,if we make the playoffs we have to play away anyway.
    They will however have to do it next year with three less season tickets in the coffers I have had it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. MetroFan 2000

MetroFan 2000 New Member

Jun 18, 2000
    Somerset,NJ
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    really? a striker?

hmm...so then it wasnt lisi he got a pass by the penalty mark AND COMPLETELY SCREWED UP...he didnt even get a shot OFF he passed..that was a clear one timed shot..but he f-ed up bad..that goal might have changed the game around some...

Striker my ass.....he's nothing right now

7. Soccernuthost

Soccernuthost New Member

Dec 7, 2000
    I don't think he had a choice. Mathis was fatigued and slowing down. To push him past that point you risk re-injuring him and losing him for the rest of the season and the playoffs.

With Davis, OZ had no choice because Brad was limping when he came off and needed to have his leg iced on the bench.

The game was 1-1 at that point on our home field. We still should have been able to win this game even without those two.

8. packy

packy Member

Mar 21, 1999
    and he runs? like a girl and never gets near enough to the opposition to challenge. Wouldn't have him on an A leauge team.

9. packy

packy Member

Mar 21, 1999
    It Ain't the Defense It;s the Midfield (revisited)

Last night's performance against Dallas confirms that the basic problem is the midfield rather than the defense. Reviewing the tape showed that the midfield gave too much time on the ball to Dallas. Shep mentioned this several times in his commentary. We got away with it till the 65th minute when Lisi entered the match and the midfield broke down completely.

Possible midfield solution:

Diallo Mathis

Chrono Wiillams Faria Zaide

Addo Petke Jolley Akwari

Howard

Previous comment
    -----------------
    Despite some minor deterioration in Petke's recent play he is still a solid central defender. Jolley has been excellent and Ziade reasonably dependable. Chronopolous is somewhat weak on the left (too bad Perez wasn't appreciated).

But all this pales in comparison to the the defensive problems of the midfield. Let me state it simply. We cannot afford defensively to have two of any of the following players on the field at the same time. Really confirmed after watching last night's Columbus game.

Lisi
    Alvarez
    Paule
    Davis

Whatever else they bring to the table they simply lack the speed, athleticism and heart, (Paule excepted as to heart) to regularly win balls and shut down the oppositon before the reach the final third.

We may be able get by with one of either Paule or Davis in mid but not both. As to Lisi and Alverez, waive em now and spare us the pain. I'd rather see us pick up some A-League mids with speed, athleticism, heart and just a modicum of skill to join Williams and Moore in the midfield.

10. Soccernuthost

Soccernuthost New Member

Dec 7, 2000
    You've missed the point of my post. I don't think that Lisi is a quality striker right now and should start over Mathis. Nothing could be further from the truth.

I'm talking about Lisi's possible future with this team and his future in this league. From what I've seen of him that future (if he has one) is not going to be as a midfielder. He disappears when he plays in the midfield. He looks lost at times and out of sync with the other mids. He's not enough of a 2-way player to be mid. To summarize, he just not cutting it as a midfielder.

The possible alternative for Lisi's future with this team (again, if he's to have any future with us) is possibly to use him as a striker. He played as a striker many times in NCAA at Clemson (and midfield as well). He scored 43 goals there.

Lack of involvement (invisibility) and lacking 2-way play is acceptable for a striker (not a mid) as long as that striker scores enough goals. There are many strikers around the world that fit this description. Whether Lisi can cut the mustard at this position in MLS is another story. He does have 2 goals for us this year with limited playing time and had 4 goals last year with DC.

Placing Lisi in midfield late in the game has not been working for us. We need another alternative.

It would have been nice to trade him for someone productive before the trade deadline, but that didn't happen. Maybe in the offseason.

11. Wabbit67

Wabbit67 Member

May 19, 2002
    Avon-by-the-Sea, NJ
    Big problem last night was a complete inability to string passes together, to keep possession of the ball. When Mathis was in, we did it somewhat more effectively, but over all we just can't move the ball. Main reason seems to be weak first touches that allow the defense to deflect or steal the ball. Here Paule, Faria, Moore seem to be worst culprits but no one is good. Then, when we fell down by a goal, majority of our play was long balls over the top, trying to connect with Diallo or Faria. There was no confidence to hold possession and to work for a good chance, and there probably was no reason for such confidence. In terms of our possession, we clearly are the worst team in MLS right now- not even close- and it shows in our home record against teams that currently qualify for the playoffs: 1-7-2!!

Also, Andy Williams is getting too much of a free pass on these boards. Look, the guy makes great plays. He has moments where he shines like no other on the Metros right now. However, there are also a lot of times where the second he gets the ball, he puts his head down, dribbles against 3 or 4 defenders, and misses open men or slows down advancement of the ball. When he beats those four defenders, it is spectacular. When he doesn't, it is frustrating. He and Diallo often seem to play with their heads down and thus fail to recognize their teammates. (Diallo closer to goal; Williams further from goal). Williams is a good player, but for a man who is supposed to be directing our attack, there are times that he seems a little blind and selfish. His skill is not always being brought within a team concept. (And yes I understand that there might be no reason for him to have confidence in any of his teammates right now, still I think from his position his job is to direct the game so his teammates become better).

12. mscheffel

mscheffel New Member

Jul 29, 1999
    NJ, US
    Luckily, I gauged my eyes out early in the second half so will blissfully ignore it and comment on the first half.

Not bad at all. I think Petke looked more solid than he has in a long time. Nice to see Clint there, some touches of his old self, although his comments in the Ledger make me think he isn't goint to risk injury for the rest of the season. Lucky not to get red carded out of the game for popping a dallas player. Davis looked dangerous.

We just need two things:

1) a mature defensive midfielder (Stockton? what the...)
    2) a right and left defender that know when to stay f'ing back (espacially the really slow one).

Damn, just a couple of years ago we would have been happy with the way things are going.

13. microbrew

microbrew New Member

Jun 29, 2002
    NJ
    Most of 101 apparently wants to know, too. And then, there was those plastic baying horns and the other bass drum, both of which were completely off beat.

All the percussion instruments need to be right next to each other. And are people allowed to bring wind instruments?

What was the lyrics to the 'Deep in the heart of Texas' song? And I'm suprised no one quoted Full Metal Jacket.

14. Gaspard

Gaspard New Member

Jun 9, 2002
    Great lineup, fer chrissakes Chrono and Zaidie are midfielders, not defenders. And Paule should be pushing up instead of having to be a defensive mid. I blame Zambrano for not having the vision to play players where they'll have the most impact.

15. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    Agreed.

I can't see why not. Our team sucks and our coach blows. Wind instruments would be in keeping with the on-field events.

That would be:

Your football's sh!te,
    all day and night,
    deep in the heart of Texas.

Truth of the matter is, the Burn are way better than we are at the moment. I am sitting on the fence between ripping on our team all game and trying to cheer them out of their funk by force of will. Do we blindly follow them over the falls, or stand on the banks and boo them on the way down? I don't want to be a fair weather fan and turn on them, but- at the same time- I can't silently watch this team play this poorly.

16. PSUdude

PSUdude New Member

Dec 15, 1998
    Elmhurst, Queens, NY
    don't for get the other song (to the 80's song Cars)

They are the Burn,
    They give up too fast,
    They play metro boys,
    get kicked in the ass
    The Burn...

17. MetroFan 2000

MetroFan 2000 New Member

Jun 18, 2000
    Somerset,NJ
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thus being why i said he's nothin right now ;)

18. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Re: It Ain't the Defense It;s the Midfield (revisited)

Don't you think this line-up is a little TOO defensive? Seems like the only person you left out is Paul Grafer.

Reading the local papers this morning, I was really hoping that Zambrano would say that Diallo and Clint would start up front for their next match with Faria playing a "super-sub" roll.

It appears he's going to be stubborn on this one and keep Clint as a "midfielder" for the rest of the season. In a previous life, OZ must have been one of the passengers on the Titanic who thought everything was okay, even as the ship was underwater.

19. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    With the exception of Timmy, Williams, and Diallo(maybe Paule) no one seems to be playing in their most natural position. I get the impression that OZ keeps trying to pound square pegs into round holes. And I'm not sure where Petke and Jolley would play their strongest game these days. They are always getting beat by the current crop of MLS attacking players, as though they haven't kept pace with league developments. CAN they keep pace when our midfield fails to pressure the other team?

It's lunacy to lineup the same way every game and expect a different result, even though we face a different team each time. They all seem to have our number, and read us with the disdain one has for a day-old copy of the New York Post.

20. sdipar

sdipar New Member

Dec 30, 1999
    Paule is not in his natural postion, according to Messing and what I recall when he was in Colorado. He is being asked to play D-Mid. They mentioned again Saturday on the broadcast that he has been asked to stay back and cover in a defensive role when he is more of an offensive player. It does look as though Octavio is forcing players into positions they are not most comfortable in. Mathis needs to be up top for sure. While Faria works hard for the full 90, he needs to come in off the bench. I am not crazy about Diallo because I think that he is an extremely selfish (not a team player by any stretch of the imagination) player, but he is paid to score goals, and he will hit a higher percentage than Faria.

21. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The real reason we lost was due to Georgio Chinaglia. Did you notice that Martinez' two goals were clones of Chinaglia's goal in the old-timer's game? Maybe Chinaglia should be a coach, but I heard that he is getting a tv show on YES.

The problem is in the midfield. No speed on the wings since Chungy left. This enables the opposition to pack the center and move their wingers into the play. Davis is OK but he is not really that fast. Put Faria on the right wing opposite Davis and maybe the two of them together will equal one fast winger.

22. packy

packy Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Re: Re: It Ain't the Defense It;s the Midfield (revisited)

So, given the available players what is a more balanced offensive lineup?

23. microbrew

microbrew New Member

Jun 29, 2002
    NJ
    Re: Re: Metro vs Burn Post Game [R]

Boo the team. This is NJ and NY, and that's what would be done in every other sport. Boo the team, but cheer when the individual players make a strong effort and create plays.

A fair weather fan is one who only shows up when the team is good. If the players, coachs and management hear it from the stands, hopefully they all get a clue and try to do better before the boos turn to silence.

24. CentreMid

CentreMid New Member

Apr 17, 2000
    This is NY/NJ i agree, Let the boo's reign in the meadowlands. I couldnt agree more. WE are *************** right now, no effort lack of hustle. As sweeper has said in another thread, its as if they dont care. Class act by petke for giving sweeper the bird, someone who's gone to how many games in 7 years? If i was in the stands i'd be booing. I'll be working at the game. Lets cheer on the individual efforts to show we appreciate it.

25. Richie

Richie Red Card

May 6, 1999
    Brooklyn, NY, United
    "If i was in the stands i'd be booing.'

You don't boo in soccer you whistle.