Metro v DC Post Game Analysis [R]

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by Arisrules, Oct 23, 2004.

1. metrocorazon

metrocorazon Member

May 14, 2000
    I personally blame Bradley for the teams play and lack of balls.

I blame MFO for lack of fans at a playoff game and making us look like idiots in the process with stupid cheap derby hats and lack of fan relations throughout the season.

2. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    For my end, we did what we could. We hung our Metro banner up. We had our confetti confiscated by the Nazis. We jumped up and sang for 85 minutes. And then we lamented how we lost this game, lost last week, and the week before, because we are Metro FC.

But then again, I can not imagine many of us actually thought we were going to win. Pre-destiny. While I jokingly predicted a DC beatdown before the game, the truth is many other ESC'ers would have said the same thing had the beer and "I hate DC" effect not set in.

With that said though....... The ESC did hold an "Arts & crafts" day during the summer........ 6 people showed up and made 3 banners......

3. kerowack

kerowack Member

May 14, 2004
    Patchogue, New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love the passion of the ESC and the dedication of those DC fans, but at the same time I could care less about whatever pissing contest is going on between the two sides. I want results ON THE FIELD and that's all that counts. BOTH the ESC and the DC faithful should be commended for their efforts, but to sit here and argue who had the bigger banner is absolutely ridiculous.

A bigger banner does NOT make a bigger man....

Glad to see that the DC bus was able to kidnap that drunken clown with the orange hair and bring him to the swamp tho....

4. sccrhound

sccrhound Member

Oct 8, 2002
    CT
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Earnie was 5 yards beyond the last defender at the time the ball was played. When he received it he was 10 yards.

Nobody seems to have mentioned that Moreno was offsides when he started the play that lead to the second goal.

The score should have been 0-0 or 1-0 Metros, as Petke tripped Woly in the area.

The attendance was a joke. When we got to our seats, there were no more than 50 people in our section.

How much of the lack of attention can be traced to the Metros not running midget games at halftime. Do you think those teams bring in 5 to 8 K per game? If they do this team is in even worse shape.

5. sccrhound

sccrhound Member

Oct 8, 2002
    CT
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I agree completely. It seems the people scheduling must be in SoCal, as there is no accounting for the time of year.

6. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton
    I was pretty even from what I could tell. DC's display was obviously more impressive cause they traveled. They have better fans. All it takes is one visit down there too see that. Pisses me off, but its true.

7. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland
    Gotta shake my head at some of the moves made by Bradley. Where was Gilberto? Why sub in Lisi and SGR over Taylor? Lisi's biggest strength is his long ball. SGR's biggest weakness is connecting on a long ball. Taylor has shown a marked skill at connecting with long balls. If that's going to be the strategy, why bring in SGR?!

Stewart was ridiculously offside. I was screaming at the tv, though I was doing that the whole game. The DC area feed/homer announcers were ********ing clueless. They kept trying to claim that Stewart was able to get 150 yards behind the defense because "that ball floated up there a good long while." ****************. The announcers also claimed that Glen dove on the two elbows to the face he got in a short span. The replay clearly showed he got nailed both times.

On the Regan/Gros yellow card, who actually got it? DC fans are saying it went to Regan for being (understandably) upset over getting clubbed by Gros' cast. Why the hell does Gros still have a cast anyways? He's had it for something like 3 months now, hasn't he? When he starts using the damn thing like a weapon, I'd like to know that he's actually injured.

On the Woly no call, that was **************** too. It was a hack from behind, with no ball contact on a player who has NO reputation for diving. If anything, Woly has the opposite reputation. He'll struggle through tackles to get his shot off. If it was Guevara, Magee, Gaven or Glen, I could see thinking twice about blowing the whistle, but Wolyniec? He doesn't go down for no reason.

Finally, while I've been very impressed by Parke this season, when I saw the play on the 2nd DC goal, I was having flashbacks to last season's Kenny Arena/Ante Razov matchup. HE'S LEFT FOOTED, DAMN IT!

Our attack seemed to stall a lot because of who we had starting it. Was anyone else getting tired of seeing Chris Leitch floating balls in from the wing? I think Leitch is a very underrated defender, but he just doesn't have the ability to start an effective attack. If Guevara was the ONLY guy we had who could start an attack, then I wouldn't have been so upset, but when you have Guevara, Gaven, Lisi, Clark, Brenes and/or Vaca all on the field, ANY of them should be starting the attack over Leitch.

On the bright side, I thought Clark and Brenes had fantastic games, and Gaven and Glen had their moments.

Between the Yankees meltdown, the Sox winning game 1 of the Series, the Knicks losing three in a row in preseason, the Rangers in lockout and the Metros loss, I'm just having a real ************ October. For the sake of my sanity, the Jets had better be competitive this afternoon at the VERY LEAST.

8. kerowack

kerowack Member

May 14, 2004
    Patchogue, New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not that it matters, but I had the PERFECT angle to see Earnie Stewart's goal and he was offsides...

But we all knew that already...didn't we?

HE WAS OFFSIDES ALL DAMN NIGHT! IN ALL LIKELIHOOD HE IS OFFSIDES AT THIS MOMENT!

9. Spurs74

Spurs74 Member

Nov 10, 2003

Man, what a ripoff that match was!!! The ref as usual was smoking crack at some calls he shoulda really made.

Metros, looked too nervous on the ball. seems like every through ball they could've capitalized on they just didn't get their groove. seems like they flubbed every pass.oooh especially when they had that clean shot on goal in the 2nd half!!! We could've have been level!!! All in all Metros, really needed to shake off the butterflies or something!!! I MEAN THEY WOULD'VE GOTTEN THE GAME IF THEY JUST DIDN'T LOSE COMPOSURE!!! now we have to go to DC w/ our heads hung low and not even sure if we'll get on the board. This sucks Man!!!

10. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Join the club. :(

11. blank25

blank25 Member

May 18, 2002
    bergen county
    saturday night massacre

Went to the game with high expectations. To say the least I came away mad & disgusted at how the metros played. The defense was good at times but there was no creativity on creating chances for woly or glen. Vaca should have been brought in at the half. Stewart was definitly off sides from my seat. That goal should have been disallowed. Hopefully there will be another game this year for the metros. Can't wait for the new stadium & play on real grass not that horrible astro turf.

12. kerowack

kerowack Member

May 14, 2004
    Patchogue, New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: saturday night massacre

Just for the record, you are in luck. There WILL be another game for the Metrostars....next week, Saturday, 7:30.

Still, another home game would be nice and wouldn't you know...New England won last night! Not that I want to deal with Noonan ever again....

13. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004

Yea, so get on the bus trip to RFK! Let's beat these overgrown hoards of mongols back the gates of hell!

Or a 3 - 0 Metro pasting would work just as well. :)

14. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD

FYI, kickoff is at 7:00, not 7:30.

15. Deuteriumoxide

May 27, 2003
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Hey Mike, were you at the game? I thought I saw your ugly mug on TV.

16. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

Yep, he was on the bus with us :)

17. Deuteriumoxide

May 27, 2003
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    About subbing in SGR I had to laugh because at the end of the game he, the only player on the field shorter than nick rimando, was the guy who went up and challenged him for a looping high ball in the box. :rolleyes:

I want to know why bob decided to wait till the 80th minute to do anything.

At least we didn't gift Adu a goal.

18. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD

Yeah man, I was there. I'm watching the tape right now. We were pretty loud. :)

19. Deuteriumoxide

May 27, 2003
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I watched the game on mute. Allan Hopkins gives me indigestion.

I give better commentary for everybody watching anyway.

"WHAT THE ********? ******** YOU DEFENSE. I HATE THIS ********ING TEAM."

20. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD

:D

21. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton
    What a disaster. And for all those who claimed all year its was our defense. Please watch this game. THIS OFFENSE IS HORRIFIC! We cannot score! Bradley... PLEASE START 3 FORWARDS NEXT GAME! Sergio in the Midfield, the Taylor, Woly and Glenn up top. Play to win from the begining of this game. About 24 hours after and I am still bummmed over this one.

22. metro24freak

metro24freak New Member

Jul 5, 2004
    philly

I don't think massacre is the right word, that 6-2 DC thing from July was what I would call a massacre even though we did score twice that was the only time I ever felt sick during a game. Things don't look to great right now but 3 goals isn't that much to ask for it's not like they can't do it, they just need to keep the ball out of the back because that's when something bad happens.

23. SteveB

SteveB New Member

Jun 13, 2003
    Nanuet, NY
    This game was symbolic of the entire season. The team played hard, sometimes they played very well but quite often they allowed sillyness to take over. Yes, Glen got fouled alot but why was he on the ground so very often, yes Amado plays defense well but why was he so far back when we needed our playmaker, yes there are bad calls during a game but WTF. Nothing Saturday night was any different than the rest of the season.
    We had a very nice run the start of the season, a melt down around the two thirds mark and then just managed to limp along. The team is not as good as we all thought in April but not as bad they they have played for the past two months.
    Should I take some comfort in the fact that Metro made the playoffs for the second straight year? Is that the only solace we can have for the year? While winning 3-0 next weekend in RFK is possible would any of us bet the ranch on it? A season that began with such hope is now going to crawl away with whimper.

24. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton
    Good post steve, but finding solace in making the MLS playoffs is about as easy as a chick neglecting to notice my giantitis of the phallus..

25. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland
    Add to this the Jets losing and the Sox taking game 2 and my October is officially a waste. God damn do I need some good sports-related news. Hell, I'd even settle for a 1-0 win next weekend, just please PLEASE not another ********ing loss to DC.