Metro to get the next hosing

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by The Ghost of BillR4, Jun 1, 2003.

1. Count on it. San Jose were running the table out west early in the season. That's not good for MLS business. If anyone watching the SJ-Chicago match today failed to notice the fix, they were as blind as the Assistant Referee that failed to notice the balatant offside that made Chicago's third and crushing goal a reality.

It was pathetic. Ty and that obsequious little suck up Rob Stone were happy to pretend it didn't happen. Wynalda, never one known to keep his mouth shut, was willing to be honest about it. Finally after having to admit the obvious, Ty excused the reffing crews failure on the circular grass pattern cut of the SJ pitch? Can't Ty be legally shot at dawn for such a statement? At a minimum it deserves the mockery of the entire footballing world.

What all this has to do with the Metro is obvious. We are too far out in front of the East for Garber's liking. Expect an MLS ref hosing against us next week.

If the MLS does not publicly name and discipline the linesman failing to make that call and the Ref for missing it too, then we all know just why it happened don't we? The MLS cannot afford to allow the League to not have "close" divisional races so early in the season.

The non call on the offside was only one of many examples of decisions made throughout the game to handicap the Earthquakes. I think what happened to SJ was an obvious single entity fix and expect the same to visited on the Metro very soon.

2. Metros#1

Metros#1 New Member

May 14, 2001
    NJ
    How do you explain tonight in Columbus? The ref was horrible, but we didn't get unfair share of bad calls and the only offside was on Cunningham. If we lose our next game, it's likely because we are due (the law of average), not because the ref.

3. Ah Grasshopper . . . you are young and do not yet see the invisible hand of the single entity monstrosity.

4. Treetaliano,

Your Galaxy were the beneficiary of today's hosing of San Jose so I am not surprised at your response. If there is a real conspiracy that you should be noticing, it is the conspiracy that so often produces Kevin Hartman's truly bad hair.

Doesn't Ms. Surfer Boy embarrass you, even a little bit?

5. MetroAndAGuinessPlz

MetroAndAGuinessPlz New Member

Apr 1, 2003
    NY
    If this is true then how do you explain the fact that MLS wants nothing more than a sucessful, championship New York area team? Do you realize how much exposure that brings to the league? Why would they shoot themselves in the foot like that?

6. If they really wanted that, it would have happened already. Nope, the Metro have to win it in spite of MLS. Anyhow, your particular conspiracy theory is more well suited to the Columbus forum.

7. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After considering Bill's track record, i.e. his early season prediction of Marcelo Balboa's total contribution to the 2002 Metros, I BELIEVE.

8. Kevin

Kevin New Member

Me thinks the hosing will come in the form of no replacement for Timmy.

9. mscheffel

mscheffel New Member

Jul 29, 1999
    NJ, US
    I think Timmy is absolutley incredible, BUT this country is chock full of really good keepers. We have a 90% solid D, the league would have to really try hard to 'screw' us on the goalie.

Having said that, I always enjoy a good conspiracy theory. Fun to read from my kingdom under the earth. You know, where I secretly run the world from?

10. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    It's hilarious to me when people who are too stupid to engage in a conversation write off provocative ideas as "conspiracy theories". Usually, the people who use the phrase don't even understand the meaning of the word "conspiracy", as demonstrated by Treetoliano. The fact is, there IS a conspiracy to create parity in the league, it's called the single entity management system. This is not a matter of opinion, it's a fact. People in charge of the league CONSPIRE to create parity.

I personally think it's bad policy. I would rather have teams who are excelling under the leagues foreigner and salary constrainst, and also rans. Having a couple of sexy teams is more exciting to me than having the MLS Cup rotate between lame backwater towns like K.C. and San Jose. But that's just me.

Do I believe that what Ghost is saying will actually happen? Who knows? But clearly, when the plan is parity, it's a real possibility. Indeed, I think it undermines the competitive credibility of the league.

11. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    Does the "lame, backwater" appellation depend on population or location? Or both. Might as well add Columbus to the list, along with several cities bidding to host MLS teams.

We only have a few megatropolises in the US. Most medium to large cities are hubs of largely populated regions -- like San Jose and Kansas City, both of which have considerable local history dating back over one hundred years.

I am reminded of a famous New Yorker cover: the view of the US from Manhattan. Not much beyond the Hudson: Chicago, the Rocky Mountains, LA. As a New Yorker myself, I don't share the view.

12. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    Yeah, there was definitely a conspiracy against San Jose - it was the league that injured half of their starters, not coincidence...

13. cmonaco

cmonaco New Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Montreal/NYC
    By that logic, the salary caps and college drafts in the NBA, NHL, and NFL are also "conspiracies" to create parity. As is the fact that NFL TV money is distributed equally to all teams.

SEM is not a conspiracy, it's a business plan. You can argue for or against it based on its merits, but the fact is its created a stable successful professional soccer league in a country thats never had one before. There are obviously many problems with it, the most glaring of which is a lack of transparency that makes people *think* there are conspiracies going on on and off the pitch. The other main problem is incompetence, which to many begins to look conspiratorial.

MLS is not stupid. If there was a conspiracy going on (or at least a successful one), there is no way the showcase team - the New York team - would have gone this long as the laughingstock of the league.

14. Turk from Pigs Eye

Turk from Pigs Eye New Member

Jun 14, 2002
    Pigs Eye (St. Paul),
    I don't know anything about a conspiracy but I think KC will beat the MetroStars quite handily this weekend, since the Metro will be without Howard, Pope, and Mathis.

15. chayes

chayes New Member

Feb 29, 2000
    Raleigh, NC
    What other team is allowed to bring in 2 players on loan for the season?

16. Beowulf

Beowulf New Member

Dec 2, 1998
    Any team whose coach goes on a scouting trip to Argentina and doesn't come back with jack shit.

Any team that doesn't want to waste their money on old hairy Bulgarians.

17. Space Ghost

Space Ghost New Member

Aug 3, 1999
    joisy
    Hey Metrogo, if GBR4's post isn't a conspiracy theory, what is it? It's a theory that's there's a conspiracy. It's a theory until there's some irrevocable proof.

OK, it's a provocative idea, let's have a provocative discussion. MLS would rather have parity than a sucessful NY area team, something they've been trying to achieve for 7 years. They probably pay off the ref's who would rather accept a few thousand dollars payola and risk their FIFA license. And they accomplish this by failing to call an offsides in a nationally televised match that's already 3-1. And the proof of this conspiracy is a crappy reffing job, something definitely new to MLS. OK, I'm convinced.

18. elephantstone

elephantstone Member

Feb 12, 2001
    Harrisburg, PA
    Seriously. Suddenly it's our fault that our coach did the legwork to scout some decent young foreign talent instead of wasting all our salary space on washed-up Euros? Sheesh.

19. JoBeck

JoBeck New Member

Jul 24, 2000
    Wesschessduh
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...umm... these bad ref calls? they're no conspiracy theory.

MLS REFEREES ARE AWFUL. That's why.

20. chayes

chayes New Member

Feb 29, 2000
    Raleigh, NC
    No, its the fact that MLS doesn't bring players in on loan until the Metros all of a sudden find themselves a little shorthanded...

21. WIZZETS

WIZZETS New Member

May 30, 2001
    Chattanooga via NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Landon Donovan brought in on loan?

22. Beowulf

Beowulf New Member

Dec 2, 1998
    Let him go, Wizzets. Soon he's gonna cry how Metros beat DC in a lottery for Joey DiGiamarino when they only had a 40% chance to win it.

23. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    I have to modify my previous post.

Only retards from lame, backwater towns could carp about Metro having the ways and means to bring in talent from Argentina on loan.

If it's good for Metro, it's good for the league. :)

24. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    It's part of the league growing up and joining the rest of the soccer world. This will become more prevalent in the future and it won't just be the MetroStars.

And as I remember it, didn't Bradley have some kind of working relationship with a Mexican club (Monarcas Morelia, I believe) when he was with Chicago? The guy's on the ball about this stuff.