Metro-DC post-game [R]

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by Real Ray, Sep 26, 2003.

1. red&black1

red&black1 New Member

Mar 8, 2003
    Kearny NJ
    And to all u trolling DC scum of the slum fans...

Yes u guys deserved the win but dont get so high on yourselves... DC didnt beat the Metros thursday night, the Metros beat the Metros. Did u notice how bad the Metros played and they still had plenty chances to put a few in. If we were playing like we have played earlier in the season it would of been a definate 2-0 or 3-0 victory. It does suck for us that a mediocre DC team came away with the win, but we shall live to fight another day. ON TO SUNDAY!!!

Go troll elsewhere scum!!

2. harttbeat

harttbeat Member

Dec 29, 1998
    New York
    I say we should start the reserve players this sunday to make a statement. The group out there last night was embarrasement.

Clark is not a winger. I know, we all know and so does bradley too. So my question is why is he still playing there? I know why, b/c no one is good enough in the team to play right mid. bull. But I also don't see why Richie William is playing the middle. Don't tell me Clark is not ready to play def mid yet or Mark Lisi is not as aggressive winning the ball as RIchie. I don't care. No more WIlliams please. I stated this when the Metros were winning at the beginning of the yr. He kills the attack. Especially with this 3-5-2 system Bradley is in love with where u need two def-mid anyways, let's put Clark and Lisi there. digi as left def mid.

Why can't Gaven, Gavin, Zadine, or even Edgar play in right mid/right def mid? *#*#*#*#, mathis as right. i dun care.

Richie, go Home!

3. Noah Dahl

Noah Dahl New Member

Nov 1, 2001
    Pottersville
    Pretty easily I think. Isn't one of the reasons to take a stutter step to get the keeper to go one way? The you roll the ball to the other side of the net. Seemed like Mathis was in two minds - stuttered, picked his corner then saw Rimando going that way and tried to push it wide of him. But yeah it was a stinker.

P.S. Bradley set the coaches did not have the team ready for kickoff, and that set the tone of the night. I believe it was those impossibly dumb giveaways. Maybe they wanted to say there were 20,000 fans in the stadium.

4. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    I (as a DC fan) watched the game last night knowing the result just to see how the teams played. DC's midfield just outplayed your mid. You had very few chances on goal and the one that you did have was missed pk. However, you guys came on strong in the second half, particularly in the last 10 or so minutes (plus extra time). guys shouldn't be so upset with your play. It was just an off night. Suck it up and play hard on Sunday.
    But don't expect any sympathy from us if you decide to play like that again...

5. In Bob We Trust

In Bob We Trust New Member

Jan 5, 2003
    i personally don't have a problem with opposing fans coming on our boards if they're talkin straight soccer, and not trolling...lets get one thing straight though, no one here is looking for sympathy, we're aware of our strengths/weaknesses, and yes we were outplayed last night...the team will suck it up and play hard sunday, it has to...for me, when DC was sucking as bad as it was, i was thrilled but missed the strength of the rivalry so i'm undecided if i prefer you guys sucking so bad or the revival of the best rivalry in mls, but while the fervor is there, it'll make our win this sunday that much better...good luck

6. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Metro-DC post-game [R]

I agree with you. They have 2 more shots at DC, each with different implications. I think the Metros have a good shot. Of course if they drop the next 2, I will proceed to shove my foot in my mouth.

It was a discouraging loss, but there are still games to be played. Tough loss yes, but it ain't over. I just wish they would put together a string of wins like they did earlier in the season. Hopefully it'll come back.

Ben Olsen tore us apart and Mike Petke was just totally left unmarked.

I honestly thought Edgar was pretty good, especially considering he hasn't played in like a month. I didn't like the 3 man defense, especially putting Pope out on the wing. Juskowiak still hasn't done much, and Mathis is a complete enigma. I dunno, I'm just hoping for the best on Sunday.

7. KeeperKid18

KeeperKid18 New Member

May 3, 2003
    NJ
    My opinions of the Metro players and their performance.

Walker-Did all that was possible for him to do
    Jolley-Solid
    Pope-Solid, but should have burried the one late oppertunity near post rather than going back across the gran resulting in a kicksave.
    Addo-Generally solid, obviously got burned once on a poor give away, and got beat in the air, but otherwise he played ok.
    Williams-Not good.
    Clark-Nothing special.
    Lisi-Solid.
    DiGiamarino-Not consistent with his play. Announcer said something about an injury.
    Guevara-Dances on the ball to much, and messes up the flow of the play.
    Magee-Practically invisible.
    Mathis-Poor PK, too far back when playing up top, but had a few good touches when playing in the midfield. Like Guevara, also messes up the flow of play sometime, by taking too many touches when quick touches are needed.
    Jusko-I don't remember any thouches or even seeing him.
    Wolyniec-Nothing special.
    Edgar-Not a very good game for him.

I have to say on a side note, that Warren has potential in the future for D.C.

8. Wabbit67

Wabbit67 Member

May 19, 2002
    Avon-by-the-Sea, NJ
    I'm surprised to see everyone saying that they thought Jolley had a solid game. Especially in the first half, I though his play was weak. He got physically manhandled by Martin, and he got beat in the air (especially by Petke) on more than one occasion. Please don't misunderstand. I'm not blaming Jolley for the loss. He has easily been one of our best and most consistent players, but I thought Thursday was not one of his better nights. Maybe it boils down to you can't criticize everybody and Jolley has certainly earned the right to remain above criticism. I expect a better performance Sunday.

9. In Bob We Trust

Jan 5, 2003
    i think this is an interesting point largely ignored by all of us so far and that is that we got beat to EVERY ball in the air, at least the first half...the marking assignments were awful, and so was the effort to get to the ball, whether it was a corner or a cross during the flow of the game, it was not only jolley, but i was becoming very worried with our lack of effort on those high balls...

10. Arisrules

Arisrules Member

Feb 19, 2000
    Washington, DC
    I think that was the danger of trading Petke instead of Jolley. Petke is probably the more athletic and better technical player of the two. However, Petke can go into these horrendous full season funks. We'll see how he does for them next year, when he isn't playing for a new contract.

11. In Bob We Trust

Jan 5, 2003
    for the most part, i think jolley is unspectacular but more consistently steady back there, and i think over the course of an entire season, pope and walker need that more than they would a great performance by petke at any given time followed by a series of poor ones...also, in reading DC's boards over the course of the season, i think they're satisfied with petke, but i'm not sure anyone in the league still considers him an all-star...he made himself look a lot better by winning those headers on corner kicks...i think we're fine with jolley, his weakness (lack of athleticism) comes out more due to our lack of wing defense...just my 2 cents

12. doneshufflin

doneshufflin New Member

Nov 13, 2000
    Washington DC
    Guevara

It was the soccer gods smiling on DC because they that flopping piece of dung Guevara dove. Come on you can't honestly think that the Metros deserved a pk there.

13. supermetros

supermetros New Member

Aug 20, 2001
    Park Ridge, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Guevara

No but there was a play latter in the game when Guevara was running onto a rebound from Wolynic's shot that looked like a foul in the box. Nothing called. Sometimes things even out.

14. In Bob We Trust

Jan 5, 2003
    are you kidding?...if you want to bring reputations into this, why dont you look at who committed the foul...none other than MLS Public Enemy #1, 2 & 3...Dema dirtbag thug Kovalenko...as a ref, i probably don't call a PK there, but as a ref (especially if i'm Alex Prus), i'm quick to whistle Dema...he's the league;s match to bill romanowski, there's talent, but also he's reckless and has a total and disgusting disregard for the players on other teams to the extent that he goes into tackles looking to connect forearms to heads (one of several different dirty tactics he employs)...if he were smart, he'd recognize that the ref calling that game is very quick to blow a whistle, he'd realize he's a dirty thug, and watch himself before he decides to put himself in those situations...guevara has toned down the diving, but to go down there with that ref against Dema, i'll take it each and every time

15. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    I guess everyone has a different perception of who's a thug. I think Franchino is the biggest one in the league. I agree that Kovalenko is very aggressive (perhaps too aggressive), but that's just the sort of player he is. He's hardworking and willing to give up his body for his team.

16. JRedknapp11

JRedknapp11 Red Card

Dec 5, 2001
    tsacademy.net
    Franchino could be a close contestant for number one thug in the MLS...we all know the Open Cup saga. However just ask the Burn's Ronnie O'Brien how hard Dema plays.

17. In Bob We Trust

Jan 5, 2003
    my personal larger issue is with franchino (for the obvious mathis incident)...i was apalled US soccer or someone couldnt step in and have him punished, and i argued on NE's boards that he's an animal, he's another player that goes into a game with the mindset that he'll injure a player if he has to and go to extremely agressive and often dangerous means to disrupt creativity on the field...it may just be bc i've seen dema play more, and i've seen tape of the incidents in which dema has severely injured players, but you see it in the great majority of the plays he's involved...i wouldnt say he's willing to give up his body, he's very quick to go down and cry about being fouled...on the other hand, he's far more talented than franchino will ever be and works hard when his mind is on offense...but when an opposing player has the ball, he's reckless and god forbid he gets beat...i felt sick watching him track down ronnie o'brien early this season and take him out the way he did, completely pre-meditated...watch dema though closely tomorrow when he's near the ball, there's a line between being aggresive and what he does