Metro @ Chicago, 17 July, 8:00 pm ET[r]

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by Matrim55, Jul 15, 2004.

1. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who starts up top? Does Vaca continue to start in the midfield? Does Arena keep his starting job (3-0 with KA in the starting lineup)? Will the real Craig Ziadie please stand up?

Can we finally beat these rim-jobbing ********sticks?

2. ElMetrofan

ElMetrofan New Member

Jan 20, 1999
    SHAPE, Belgium
    Re: Metro @ Chicago, 17 July, 8:30 pm

I think Bradley should start people based on how they perform on games. He sat Ziadie for a game and came around the next. Same thing goes with Vaca. I don't know who else can play right mid at this time though.

3. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC

My only worry about this game is that they've not won a game in their last six and Taylor Twellman, who has scored less than most unichs of late, netted 2 against them. They are due for a win, and they have a habit of kicking Metro around. It would be all too predictable to see them break out of their streak against us.

BTW, there will be an away match viewing at Nathan Hale's for this game. It starts at 8:30 pm, and there will be a $ 3 drink special. Please show up early, and drink often.

Check nathanhales.com for directions.

thx.

4. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004

Might be able to make this one. Will check back later....

5. Paul Nasta

Paul Nasta Member

Oct 16, 2001
    Long Island

With Beasley's transfer to PSV seemingly imminent, will he be in the lineup?

Since there is every reason in the world for the Metros to win this game, I'd be shocked if they did so.

6. Paul Nasta

Paul Nasta Member

Oct 16, 2001
    Long Island

By the way, the Metros/MLS websites have gametime as 8:00 p.m., not 8:30. Same for the MSG Network website.

7. Supernaut

Supernaut Member

Feb 28, 1999
    Hop, Vinland
    Club:
    Tromso IL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The Fire-Metro match is starting earlier because it is the first part of a doubleheader.

8. studsup

studsup New Member

Aug 12, 2001
    Garden State, born N

Taylor and Magee up top. Oh, and thx Coach for letting Magee take most of the corner kicks when he's on the field.

JW stays on his line or else give Zach Wells another shot. His quick distribution set a nice pace for the LA game and kept the match going.
    Say what youwill, I like him better for Metro this year than JW. Our best keeps come from the bench.

Look for EG and AG to continue to shine.

Woly and Glen in at the 65 minute mark.

Leave SGR out of the game completely.

Give Parke or Pope a string to tie to Zaidie if he plays so they can pull him back on D when they need to.

9. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004

I'm good for Nathan Hales. Will bring others with me. So the start time has moved up to 8 pm ? pregame at 7:30 ?

10. Beto

Beto New Member

Apr 24, 2004
    NOLA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Re: Metro @ Chicago, 17 July, 8:00 pm ET

anyone who seriously thinks that wells should take the starting spot over walker either are on crack, or must do a serious soul-searching.

11. Metros Striker10

Metros Striker10 New Member

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth

Points that the Metros need to do to win:

1.) Magee has to take all set pieces. Guevara can't do it, and Magee seems to be the only guy who can put a decent bend on it, especially corners.

2.) The defense needs to play tough. That's why they beat SJ. SJ was without some guys, but the toughness from Arena was able to shut down some chances.

3.) SGR, if he starts, needs to shoot...even if it's a 30 yard shot, shoot it. Get something going.

4.) Walker has to dive a little more. That's one thing I remember of Timmy and Walker last year, they dove for saves. JW isn't doing much of that this year and has let some easy (in Metro GK terms) goals go by.

5.) Vaca has to play down the wing that whole game: offensively and defensively.

6.) Guevara needs to show off his dribbling skills. Because of this, the Metros earned that PK. He looked like Maradona out there trying to dribble for 50 yards.

On the GK issue with Walker...maybe he does need to sit. Maybe he is a little "over confident." It could be and maybe a day off will help. Wells needs some play time as well. The USOC is right around the corner, but a guy like him needs a little more playing time so he won't get "rusty." Timmy needed the rest (for different reasons of course), and a few games off surely helped him.

12. strider026

strider026 New Member

Aug 7, 2002
    Huh

Could not agree more. Fortunately Guevara has been making his PKs. I would prefer to see Magee take those too. When he is on the field of course.

God I miss Flores. When he is healthy there is no reason to play Vaca.

With the number of goals scored against Walker there is no way he is overconfident. He may need rest but ??????

13. isolde

isolde Member

Feb 14, 2004
    nj
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Markings! Chicago has couple of big guys with speed. And a small guy with speed too. Markings is so important when play against Chicago.

14. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate

Is this the pre/post match thread? I'm afraid to mention the score...(No "R")

Whatever.

I'd like to know why Eddie Pope felt he had attempt to kick the you-know-what pass away. All he needed to do was move into it and let the ball hit him on the head or back. Just break the play up. Forget trying an impossible kick.

15. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Very intense and well played match. These are the kinds of games you would see most of the times if only 4 teams made the playoffs. Most MLS games are played at a snails pace.

I understand the reasoning behind Arena starting, but most of his passes are going out-of-bounds or to an opponent.

Surprised the officials haven't noticed that Walker has the same color jersey as the Fire (apparently his blue one is still at the cleaners).

16. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

How many f***ing times is the ref NOT going to call blatant fouls by Chicago?

17. sanariot

sanariot Member

Nov 19, 2001
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This team is so frustrating to watch. We've had chances, but haven't made the most of them thus far.

18. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

There's CJ Brown showing off his crossover dribble in the box. No call. Of course.

19. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well we more or less owned the game from the Vaca-Magee double sub on. Shame we couldn't find the winning goal somehow, but everyone in the East stays where they were when the day began, thanks to all the ties.

Good riddance, Damarcus. Hopefully you can learn how to be a little less wasteful in Holland.

20. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I was glad to see Vaca fight and bust his ass for everything out there.

We looked better aftre the subs because Kenny Arena was no longer on the field. He has no offensive abilities at all. It was painful to watch. I hope that is the last we see of him at DM.

Smart play by Guevara - he played well.

Pope is obviously bum of the week. That was awful.

The A. Williams handball was fortunate, but since CJ Brown clearly handled, I'll take it.

We have to beat these guys next week. Have to

21. BillyManutd

BillyManutd New Member

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC

I was surprised that Bradley used Arena at DM. Arena has improved this year but I didn't like the way he played today.

22. pepe_pupu

pepe_pupu New Member

Feb 4, 2003
    Arizona

Goalkeepers can be made or broken by their defense.. Our defense has been hanging Walker out to dry most of the season, including Pope, and most of the goals they are scoring on us are from like 5 yards out! No goalkeepers can save those along with all the one on ones that are getting through. Look at Ring and Meola, they are both playing strong, but their defenses are the best in the league. The shots they are facing are usually from much farther out because they've got very strong defenders - i.e. easier saves to make. Most of the time, we've got more holes in the back than swiss cheese!

Obviously Walker has had a couple of tough moments this year, but what other keeper hasn't in their career. And the blunder he had a few weeks ago, Edwin Van der Sar made the same one about two months ago. Everyone has breakdowns and you get over it. I think Walker is back on track now and I agree with MSG that he deserved MOTM tonight against Chicago. I think he'll have a very strong finish to the season and we all need to stand by our players... even more so when they are going through a tough time.

23. SteveB

SteveB New Member

Jun 13, 2003
    Nanuet, NY

Since there is no [R] my comments will be limited. Woly, as much as I love his work ethic, was not having a stellar evening nor was Glenn. The midfield, particularly after the substitutions did a very nice job.
    Does anyone know anything about SGR injury? The first I heard of it was during the pre-game show. I had thought he would start tonight and with the natural grass field have a great night.
    Lisi, Taylor, Gilberto, SGR, shall we go on? With the injuries we are piling up it is very lucky we have the depth we all were thrilled and amazed by at the start of the year.

24. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Metros were the better team today.

Defensive lapses were kept to a minimum and they didn't allow themselves to be pushed around like they did in their previous encounters. Metros dominated ball possession, but still can't score against the Fire. Woly had the best chance, but Ring made a nice stop. Glen nearly had a breakaway on one play but then cut back for some reason and lost the ball.

MOTM was Guevara for that clever quick-kick, which later resulted in the PK. Metros had a free kick minutes earlier from about the same area, that Magee poorly struck. Seems like no one on the team can reach the goal on those set pieces.

If Vaca can put together a full 90 minutes like he played in the 30 minutes today, he'd be an all-star. Some nice crosses and even came back to fight for some balls.

If the Metros can put together another effort like tonight, the hex will end next week.

25. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland

Seems like Vaca has finally stopped reading his own press ("the next Etcheverry" indeed :rolleyes: ) and started reading Szetela's. It seems Vaca isn't stupid. He knows that if Szetela comes here, it's likely going to be a three-way toss up for two spots between Clark, Vaca and Szetela.

Here's a dream of a lineup. If we get Szetela for Lisi and change, and finally switch to a 3-5-2 for next season, our lineup could look like this:

Walker

(Toss up between Leitch, Arena or a new signing) Pope Parke

Clark Szetela

Gilberto Guevara Gaven

Taylor Glenn

With Szetela, Gilberto and Clark contributing at both ends of the field, and the offense of Guevara, Gaven and the Carribean strikers, that could be the most balanced roster in the league. The only clincher would be picking up a great marking back.