Metro at DC- [R] Pre & Postgame thread

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by jamison, Oct 30, 2004.

1. voyager

voyager Member

Jun 10, 2004
    Frederick, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    I know that all Metro's fans are dissapointed in the loss but if you can look at the bright side you guys have 3 of the best young players in the league in Gaven, Clark and Parke. Gaven didn't play his best game last night, unfortunately. He wasn't bad but he can play so much better. Clark had a monster game in my opinion. He started the season slowly if I recall, but has played much better towards the end of the season. Parke has been pretty consistent the whole year. Next year, even he does not improve much, will be a very solid player in the back for you.
    Haven't seen enough of Magee to form an opinion but I hear he is better than average. Y'all have a very good base. You just need a finisher. Actually, it's too bad for the Metro's (great for DC) that Jaime Moreno came back to form this year.

Anyway, you gave us a good run last night I thought, just couldn't find the back of the net. Good luck next year.

2. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004

Based on recent Metro attendance the past few years, the fans are boycotting the team. However an ESC boycot would have ZERO effect as our numbers and ultimately the revenue we provide Metro are not enough in their eyes to justify anything. Hell I'm sure the MFO just views us as a necessary nuisance.... perhaps even a hinderance in their quest to sell tickets by promoting wholesome family values....

3. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    I don't know what kind of ingrate could go to RFK (not to mention most other world stadiums) and not want that atmosphere at home. Then again it sounds like your MFO people probably not only didn't travel to RFK for game, but didn't even watch it at home.

4. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    The MFO traveled down to RFK for the season finale. My mate went along with them for the ride. I would have went also but was unable to. I know a few people who work for the MFO and are really nice people. They understand what a supporters club is, and have gone out of their way to help us when possible. However, like everyone, they have their bosses as well.......
    The attitude and ideals of the club originate from the top down. If the head honchos don't get it, it doesn't matter how many mid or lower level people get it.....

5. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    Just a couple of thoughts:

- On Ricardo Clark, I think he is a very good player, but we didn't have a way to get him onto the field for the majority of the season. He got caught in a numbers game, and I think it became a question of whether or not he was good enough to change the scheme of the team around. We didn't have the kind of backs to play a 3 man D line, the way DC has. So, we played 4 at the back. Playing 4 at the back means you then have to choose between the quasi dutch lineup of 5 midfielders and 1 forward, or 4 midfielders and 2 forwards. When we went 4-4-2, those 4 spots had to go to Guevara, Gaven and generally to Magee, which meant Lisi/Vaca usually on the other side, which meant no space for Clark. When we tried 4-5-1, our problem was that Woly was the 1 up top, and we weren't playing terribly well when we made that transition to begin with so it made the transition look unsuccessful. If we had a guy like Diallo (hate the guy, but he scored in bunches; you could insert any other high quality fwd here) up front, that 4-5-1 might have worked. As it was, we played our best soccer in the 4-4-2, which meant Clark on the bench. Would Bob look to get new backs to fit into a 3-5-2, playing a mid of Gilberto, Clark, Gaven, Guevara and Magee? I don't know, but I'd like to see those guys all on the field next year. I think Bob needs to consider if that 5 man midfield package is his best "core" to build around, or not. I don't know.

- On MFO and whether they "care" or not. I don't know that any of us knows enough to answer some of these questions. I know I don't. I think they care about winning. I think they look at DC (and look at Europe), and want that kind of atmosphere. In both cases, I think it is natural to have some questions about why they care, and what they are doing to turn that desire into reality. Do they want more wins to say that they are winners, to get a claim to that success, or do they want to win because they are passionate about the team and because it means something to them? Got me. Do they want more fans to have good ticket sales numbers to make goals and get a raise or something, or do they want more fans to fill the stadium and give the team home support? I can't answer that. Does a game with 25k sitting there like they are at a wake mean more than 20k going nuts? As metro is a business, I suspect it does, but I can't know that answer. At the moment, I think they want both, but have neither. NYR Metro is right though, an organization like Metro goes as far as the top 4-5 people take it. Any successes or failures are driven from the top, not from the mid-level guys or a dude answering the phone.

- If supporters, or supporters clubs, want to send a message to the front office, I don't think boycotting the team is the right message. Not to bag on the idea, I get the point of it, but if you like going to games, and you stay home, it only hurts you. If you sit at home and refuse to give them any of your money, you save $ 30 on the crappy loss, but miss games like the 3-0 LA win. If you look at the numbers, this team has played some pretty bad games in full houses, and some great games in front of 7800 people.

I understand the idea behind a boycott, but to do that is to let the front office get between you and your support of the team. You can argue that with stuff like doubling ticket prices that they do get in the way, but I think you need to be more stubborn than that, more willing to not let them get you down than that. I think you can send a message without getting the players involved, without making it look like you aren't supporting them. Seriously, if they are used to seeing you going nuts, and you spend a half quiet- they will think you are mad at them. If they play great in that half, and you silence them...it's a complicated message to send, and to have received by a player that isn't really paying attention to the front office politics.

- On the RFK seating thing, let's see what the sections look like when the Expos get done fooking with the stadium, and maybe there will be some different options.

Another winter of Metro Offseason Fever.

Bummer.

6. bukie2k

bukie2k Member

Mar 28, 2002
    New Jersey
    Re: Props to Traveling ESC

What do you want, a little picture in picture set up showing 101 in the corner of the screen the entire game? Is it really any part of the MFO's job to help grow the supporters club? Of course any employee of the team will say something nice when asked about the supporters section but they are just giving the professional answer. $5 will get you $10 they could care less if you are there or not. I find it hard to believe that as backwards ass as they are MFO would isssue an order not to show a section of the stadium. You would think they would be happy to have some sign of life, no matter how small, broadcast from a match at Giants Stadium. Come on, this franchise couldn't care enough to get shut out in back to back playoff losses for Christ sake.

7. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

well said, thank you

we tried to make a point and sat our banner and flags down bellow that section but then the "yellow jackets" forced us back under the roof and against the wall. I don't know if its by design or what but it surely was unfair to have to sit that far back . I think ESC should get more respect and given more attention by the MFO, we do have jobs and families and dedicate ourselves to the METRO.

More people should support ESC they great group and i can tell you it is a lot of fun if you never made a trip you should. And thanks to all of you who made this trip possible.

Forever Metro !!

Bradley must GO !!!! he does not know how to use the players he has, we need this change i don't see anything else would help us right now, i know Bob will not help if he stays on.

8. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004

A PiP of 101 throughout the game sounds cool.... but seriously now, no one is asking for that. But yes it would greatly benefit the MFO to help grow their supporters club. Just last week we found out that the DC supporters are worth $90, 000 of revune per game to the DC FO. Money talks.... and a larger supporters club = more $$ for the team. Also I am not suggesting that the FO completely concentrate on its supporters club and ignore the causual sideline fans. A happy balance needs to be met, and I do not think the MFO has properly met that balance.

9. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC

John Wolyniec________10 goals__2051 minutes__205.1 minutes per goal

Fabian Taylor__________5 goals___883 minutes__176.6 minutes per goal
    Cornell Glen___________6 goals___966 minutes__161 minutes per goal

Edson Buddle_________11 goals__1721 minutes__156.5 minutes per goal
    Jeff Cunningham_______9 goals__1856 minutes__206.2 minutes per goal

Alecko Eskandarian___10 goals__1627 minutes__162.7 minutes per goal

Eddie Johnson________12 goals__2269 minutes__189.1 minutes per goal

Carlos Ruiz__________11 goals__1587 minutes__144.3 minutes per goal

Brian Ching__________12 goals__1954 minutes__162.8 minutes per game

We have two forwards who are cpabale of scoring at a similar clip as the best in this league yet we palya guy who scores at the same clip as a guy who was lost his starting spot on his team.

When you take into account that they are more talnted and more dangerous than Woly can ever be in his wildeest wet dream.

How can Glen and Taylor be considered failures when thye do what thye were brought here for, scoring as often as the best in this league. Are we going to give Bob a pass for this?

Its no wonder it so teams clog the midfield on us. If there is no threat of the ball being played over the midefields heads they can do that. Glen and Fabian could do provide this threat Woly couldn't and the results were predictable.

10. Metros Striker10

Metros Striker10 New Member

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth

Glen and Taylor weren't the problem, SGR was. It's just that those two guys did somethings that P.O.ed many.

11. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003

Does anyone know where the MFO sat in RFK last night? Why can't the ESC or other traveling fans get tickets in the same section? Are they afraid of us?

12. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    The Metros Front Office sure is being brought up quite a bit for a post-game thread.

This is Bradley's team. He selected the assistants. He scouts the players. He selected the players. He coaches the team. He developes a strategy to win and announces the starting lineup.

MFO, which could be blamed for a million other things, wasn't the one that couldn't score a single goal in two games.

13. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004

I don't think the MFO actually had a bus trip down to DC like they did for the regular season finale. A few of the top MFO probably flew down for the game.

14. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    I don;t think we are blaming the MFO for the team's onfield performance. That's Bradley's department. But the MFO is getting slagged for things that they are directly responsible for.

15. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC

I agree they weren't the problem.

But I pissed when people talk about these guys as flops when thye were both more successful at scoring goals than Woly yet when Woly dissappears from games he gets a pass.

I also want to know what (besides Glens diving) that thye did to get to get benched like that.

People keep talking about how thye needed to win the job from Woly by performing in practice but people never face the fact that Woly needed to keep the job by performing in games. And he didn't.

I don't care how good a player is in practice, if he consistently dissapoints in games he sits. Simple as that. To me at least.

16. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Jamison I didn't mean boycott by staying home, that would only work if you had huge numbers and organization to make a point. Would it send players wrong message to not act as supporters first half hour? Dunno, if you have a banner saying what it's about FO conduct they might figure it out :) I guess you guys know your situation much better than me hehe

Anyway, here's couple pics for you, sorry my autofocus was messed up first half.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

rest are at http://www.bastaic.com/ultras/scum2/ but no more ESC. Maybe send some movies to MFO :D

17. DCU4Life

DCU4Life Member

Jul 22, 2003
    Section 130 RFK
    Part of the issue may have been the pre-game party for season ticket holders. We all entered and exited the field through section 101. Also, section 101 is part of the family section where there is no swearing or drinking. I am not sure you would have enjoyed those restrictions.

I also wanted to say thanks to all the Metros supporters who came down to DC. You added a great deal to the best MLS atmosphere I have ever seen. I know we taunted each other all game (and after the game), but at the end of the day we are all fans of the game, and I loved the crowd on Saturday. I hope nobody gave you a hard time beyond words and gestures. Better luck next year.

18. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    you got any of the taunting on video?

19. DCU4Life

DCU4Life Member

Jul 22, 2003
    Section 130 RFK
    No, but the cops might have some.

20. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i saw a guy with what looked like a camcorder among the DC supporters just before we exited the stadium

21. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Yea, amongst the people with the coffin....

22. DCU4Life

DCU4Life Member

Jul 22, 2003
    Section 130 RFK
    Ah, yes, the coffin. I was with that group at the end of the game, and I saw the guy with the camera, but I do not know the guy. Sorry.