Metal Mike- MPF

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by clemshaw, Oct 29, 2003.

1. clemshaw

clemshaw New Member

May 21, 2003
    Sweet god, what is this guy's deal? If he was payed for this, the front office better demand their money back. In case anyone was wondering, I painstakingly transcribed the song's complicated and meaningful lyrics after listening to this masterpiece over and over. "MPF! METROSTARS! MPF! METROSTARS! PLAYOFF FEVER!!!"

(In all honesty, its probably better than "the night starts with sambaaaa!")

2. eric d

eric d Member

Sep 9, 1998
    It's so bad they already pulled the link down- but not the page:

http://www.metrostars.com/audio/MPF_METALMIKE.mp3

Enjoy. I wonder how much the commission was to do this, and how much more publicity this could have bought and been generated for the USOC final instead of this silly MP3.

3. ToddP25

ToddP25 Member

Apr 19, 1999
    Richmond, VA
    Holy christ......this is the worst idea ever........Does the marketing dept do this sh!t on a dare?

4. DJPoopypants

DJPoopypants New Member

Jeezus - that makes Billy Milano and MOD sound like Bob Dylan

5. Cleveland Steamer

Cleveland Steamer New Member

Jan 10, 2001
    Stonehenge!
    Where the demons dwell and they do live well!
    Stonehenge!

Glad to see that Spinal Tap are back in the studio.

6. pepe_pupu

pepe_pupu New Member

Feb 4, 2003
    Arizona
    That was painful to listen to.... Oh my gosh....

7. Return Of W.Tymczyna

Jan 5, 2000
    Fort Lauderdale
    AHHAHAHAHAHHHAHAHAHH THIS IS GREAT!!!!!

MPF...PLAYOFF FEVA!!!

8. Calcio#20

Calcio#20 New Member

Jul 10, 2003
    N.J
    But not Billy Milano @ S.O.D !

9. Noah Dahl

Noah Dahl New Member

Nov 1, 2001
    Pottersville
    I like that. It's pretty funny.

10. Heywood

Heywood New Member

May 14, 2000
    Plainville, CT
    In the words of Samir Nainanaja from "Office Space": "Yes, this is horrible, this idea." (or something to that extent)

11. Dave Brother

Dave Brother New Member

Jun 10, 2001
    Alexandria
    Metal Mike sounds like a good idea that went terribly, terribly wrong.

12. DoctorK

DoctorK New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    NorthBank, Riverbend
    LOL!!!!!!! Oh my God, that was the most bizarre, funniest yet saddest thing I've ever heard.

Why did they record him on the toilet having a tough time?

The single most embarassing marketing idea conceivable. Idiots. Absolute idiots.

MPF - WTF???

When this whole thing goes away, and it is looking like sooner than later, we can point to some many reasons why. They should be tarred and feathered - along with that g.d. turkey - and tortured for what they have cost us: a flagship franchise of the world's greatest sport in the world's greatest city.

Oh wait, the truly GREAT idea that will save the franchise and the league: build a stadium in a town no one cares to visit. Brilliant, just brilliant, the whole lot.

Giants Stadium can work for soccer. That has been proven from the Cosmos to the ManUre tour. But marketing was the key.

Please excuse that digression, but I see this stupid Metal Mike thing as yet another symptom of an incurable disease.

WHO ON EARTH WOULD WANT TO GO SEE A SOCCER MATCH BECAUSE OF SOME STUPID HEAVY METAL PHOTO AND SONG????? WHO ON EARTH WOULD BUY SEASON TICKETS BECAUSE OF A FREE F-ING TURKEY?????

Anyone remember how embarrassing those golden arches scarves were? This makes that playoff absurdity look clever.

That Metal Mike thing makes me not only want to stay home, but to maybe not even watch on TV. I am so incredibly sick of this franchise, which I've not only followed, but given thousands of my dollars toward. It is getting harder and harder to justify the expenditure given the poor quality of the franchise (I don't mean players, I mean the organization).

One moron doesn't commit to a marketing campaign like that. It takes a committee, or at least someone's okay, but beyond that, institutionalized incompetence.

I'm sick of their incompetence. I'm angered at what they've done to the promise of an Empire Soccer Club. They've turned it into the Spinal Tap of sport.

13. Metrophenomenal

Metrophenomenal New Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Seoul+NJ
    how could any1 possibly think this was a good idea?
    it just blows my mind that there r people putting effort and money into this and noone ever realized that its the worst idea in the history of the world. and even as i say that it doesnt feel like an exagerration.
    no1 would EVER be attracted by this...not soccerfans, not parents, not little kids, not metal heads, not even the Undertaker.
    marketing that appeals to noone. MPF is the single greatest demonstration of incompetence ever.

14. Return Of W.Tymczyna

Jan 5, 2000
    Fort Lauderdale
    the scarf wasn't that bad...in fact i still have mine. i think it's pretty cool....

on another note....metal mike is performing....along with decepticon laserbeak on drums...mike mejido on bass, patistuta on vocals and drunk walter on keyboards!

now that would kick ass....

free turkey.....well at least you can eat it....has some worth.....

hahaahhahah Metal Mike!

15. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    I have that scarf.... It's difficult to wear outside of Metroland because everyone comments about them Golden Arches.... But I consider it a vintage classic :)

16. Ictar

Ictar Member

Jun 18, 2002
    The Oklahoma Panhandle
    haha

I think Andy Kaufman is working for the MetroStars head office.

17. metrocorazon

metrocorazon Member

May 14, 2000
    Just "magic" marker the arches out. Thats what I did with mine until I lost it.

18. Real Ray

Real Ray Member

May 1, 2000
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well...like the song says-

Someday we’ll look back on this and it will all seem funny

19. Cleveland Steamer

Jan 10, 2001
    Actually, it takes a village. In this case, it is a rare village populated only by village idiots.

Gobble Gobble.

M etro
    T urkey
    F ever

CATCH IT! THIS STUFF GOBBLES!

20. Cleveland Steamer

Jan 10, 2001
    It gets better. According to this link, Metal Mike claims to have coined the term "Heavy Metal":

http://www.trouserpress.com/entry_90s.php?a=metal_mike

That was two years after the historical moment when he invented, from whole cloth, the high five and the phrase, "dig it".

A big, hearty lol.

21. DoctorK

DoctorK New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    NorthBank, Riverbend
    Right, I have two of them myself (wife won't claim hers is hers!), but one too many comments about my McDonald's scarf have kept it confined to the home Metro collection.