Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance & various Metal Gear games

Discussion in 'Video and Computer Games' started by sgnerdboy, Feb 21, 2003.

1. sgnerdboy

sgnerdboy New Member

Feb 17, 2000
    Portland, OR, USA
    Club:
    Brøndby IF
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone a big fan of the Metal Gear series? I usually only play either sports games or simulation games (Civilization, Simcity, etc.), but I really enjoy the Metal Gear series. I've only played Metal Gear Solid for PSX & both Metal Gear Solid 2 and it's soon to be released (on PS2) update, Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance.

I guess the thing I like about MGS is that it plays like a movie and the way the cut scenes are used is really well done. It was done better in MGS as opposed to MGS2, as some of the cut scenes in MGS2 just take forever, which gets annoying if you're playing it beyond your first time. However, the thing that really does it for me is all the small details in the game. The fact that you can shoot open watermelons, slip on bird droppings and have sea lice eat away at your rations just makes the game play so much more fun.

As for the differences in MGS2: Substance v. MGS2, it's mainly a whole bunch of VR missions (which are quite fun) and five seperate missions called Snake Tales, which are pretty tough. The main game stays pretty much the same, with a slight tweak in graphics (the thermal goggles seem more realistic). I don't remember if there was blood in MGS2, since I only rented it for a week, but there certainly is in MGS2: Substance.

kevin
    + http://tullamarine.org

2. subbuteo

subbuteo New Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what a terrific series.
    I got dragged away from MGS2 before I could get very far. Think I'll pop it in this weekend and go back to work on it.

3. Iason

Iason Member

Feb 7, 2003
    The Fort
    I was kind of dissapointed with Sons of Liberty. Mainly because I hated playing with anyone other then Snake.

4. eneste

eneste Member

Mar 24, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Like Kevin, I only like sports games (NCAA Football, MLS Extratime) and simulation games (Civ, SimCity, CM) but I recently bought Metal Gear Solid 2:Substance because everyone said that it was so good and I got it for $10. I hate shooting and fighting games but I'm surprised how much I play it. The cut scenes can get tiresome but I appreciate that they are trying to tell a story. I've played the game quite a bit but I've only finished around 15% of the game. I'll probably keep playing it quite a bit until CM4 comes out.

5. sgnerdboy

sgnerdboy New Member

Feb 17, 2000
    Portland, OR, USA
    Club:
    Brøndby IF
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think why I liked MGS2 (or any of the MG stuff I've played) is that even though you have to kill people, the message of the game is still anti-violence and anti-war. Sometimes some of the messages of the game can be horribly cheesy (ie Otacon's whole "Can love bloom on a battlefield?" bit in MGS), but that could just be a cultural difference between us Americans and the Japanese development team.

The game never promotes senseless killing, in fact, it's better for you to sneak around and not kill (killing guards that make regular calls is a bad idea because once they know no one is answering, they'll send a lot more guards). It's like the difference between a movie that has a nudity because it is crucial to the plot and a movie that has a bunch of nudity for the hell of it.

There are just so many hidden things in the game that keep me coming back for more. I don't know if anyone here has tried it, but if you hide in a locker with one of those girly posters in it, you can kiss the poster & it makes an amusing kissing noise.

If you can snag a copy of MGS for the PSX on the cheap, I'd suggest it if the cut scenes are boring you. There are still cut scenes, but they are much shorter in length.

I also wanted to mention that I much prefer playing the earlier parts of MGS2. Once I get away from the plant, it's not as fun for me anymore.

6. Benedict XVI

Benedict XVI Member

Nov 22, 1999
    Ciudad del Encanto
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i really enjoyed MGS on the PSX, and just picked up Substance for Xbox a few weeks ago. i played it for a little while, and i can't stand it. i don't like the controls, and i don't like the excessive cutscenes. i think after having played Splinter Cell, i just can't take the goofiness and the, quite frankly, silly interface.

Splinter Cell is an incredible game, if you have an Xbox, get it now, if you have a PC, get it now, if you have a PS2, get it the day it comes out.

7. sgnerdboy

sgnerdboy New Member

Feb 17, 2000
    Portland, OR, USA
    Club:
    Brøndby IF
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the stuff about Splinter Cell. I had read about it a couple times and how it was a Metal Gear-esque kind of game and was sort of wondering how the two games compared.

I had a quick chance to play it at a Toys 'R Us a couple of weeks ago and while it was only for a brief period, I was not that impressed. I know that the controls were a major problem for me and that the lack of a fixed camera angle drove me nuts. However, I know that I would get used to the controls if I owned the game. The other thing I didn't like was that I prefered MGS's graphics to Splinter Cell. Again, something initial that would probably be overcome if I had a chance to play it more.

The goofiness/cheesiness of MGS gets to me sometimes, especial in terms of some of the plot development, but I always keep in mind that stuff like this is probably normal for a game developed in Japan. I end up enjoying a lot of the dumb humour, but I could see how people could view it as a negative.

8. eneste

eneste Member

Mar 24, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I don't mean to hijack your thread Kevin but what makes Splinter Cell so great? Anytime I bring up playing MGS2 on my XBOX people tell me to get Splinter Cell. 100% of the time. If I see it for $20 or so I guess I'll pick it up but like I said before these sort of games aren't really my thing. What's so special?

9. sgnerdboy

sgnerdboy New Member

Feb 17, 2000
    Portland, OR, USA
    Club:
    Brøndby IF
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, it's a public forum, so post away.

I'm quite interested in Splinter Cell and would like to know more about it, anyway. Most of the reviews I've read cite the stealth factor, along with the realistic usage of light.

10. Benedict XVI

Benedict XVI Member

Nov 22, 1999
    Ciudad del Encanto
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what makes splinter cell great?

first of all, the graphics, including shadowing effects, etc., are incredible. the use of shadowing, not only as dressing for the game, but as a critical element of gameplay, is unprecedented.

secondly, it is truly a stealth game. in MGS, you can get away with going in guns ablazing more than is SC.

it's also a tad more realistic, although realism in a video game where one man singlehandedly saves the world isn't exactly the main selling point, i guess.

the interface is better, in that communications and stuff are still handled in a very normal way as part of the game, rather than having it be an interruption as it is in MGS2.

i didn't hate MGS2, like i said, i really liked the original, but after playing Splinter Cell, i just couldn't hack the goofiness. i guess i've lost my taste for the japanese style.