Messi vs. football records

Discussion in 'Players & Legends' started by Bada Bing, Mar 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Personally I don't think it's either. Platini won with winning just a national cup and so on, it's an individual prize, and individual performances will decide the voting results. One could argue easily that Messi did more individually than any of those, for his wins.

Cruyff like many others, had familiarity and identity for his national team, which Messi's Argentina still lacks, and despite of this Netherlands never won anything with him. And didn't lose too much when they made the final with and without him in the consecutive World Cups. So I don't think few national team games here and there should be the deciding factor, when the whole career can be thousand of matches.

Another Argentine just said this in interview:

Javier Zanetti - "Who's better, Messi or Maradona? Messi has overtaken Diego: Leo is the greatest of all time." [oggi]

Messi career accomplishments just are already in the level of all-time greats.

2. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord

That one won four Ballon d'Ors and all the other prolific goalscorers (except Di Stefano) won one at best?

Some of them being on magic elixers & unremarkable at the youth career is also one of them.

3. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    That's the thing Messi is not only a goal scorer like Müller, C.Ronaldo and co. Last season he was world's top assister and through baller. He's been the top dribbler something like 5 seasons already and so on. He has already about 170 career assists at senior level.

Messi is a complete player, who can score like the alltime best strikers. I mean I've never seen player tap it in from 20 meters like Messi does.

4. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

You can't just reduce it to "a few national team games here and there", the WC is much more than that. For Cruyff, he led a NT that was a nobody in the international stage, not just to a great achievement in being vice-champions at the WC but establishing a legacy that remains relevant even now. Messi has not done anything remotely close with Argentina, either success or influence. With Barcelona it's closer, this is a team whose greatness and success measures up to Cruyff's Ajax. As for the Dutch reaching the final inWC78 without him, Spain, with the Barca core, won the WC and two Euros sans Messi.

Zanetti is certainly entitled to his opinion, as Argentian's greatest right-back ever he's earned it. But perhaps there may be some agenda considering Maradona dropped him from the WC10 squad, apparently after an incident at a qualifier match that Maradona deemed as rebellious against him.

5. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Considering familiarity, identity and the record

Cruyff's WC74

Netherlands 19
    Belgium 2
    Spain 1

5W 1D 1L

Messi's WC10

Italy 6
    Argentina 5
    England 4
    Spain 3
    Holland 1
    Portugal 1
    France 1
    Germany 1

4W 0D 1L

So basically one game should say if you have done anything in your national team and should be considered all time great?

6. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Barcelona also won one Champions League without Messi, with to a large extent the same core of players at the center. So "they didn't lose too much."

And in the two CL finals he played, he was only really great and arguably the best Barca player in one.

And of course Platini did not win one trophy for only winning the national cup. Being the losing European Cup finalist also helped.

And how does the Messi fanboy thinks about "cronaldo" having five Ballon d'Ors under the old rules? Makes him that the second best of all-time?

7. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord

Stop with this deceptive and evil bullshit. :thumbsdown:

8. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Might have missed that, some players from the "dream team" still play at Barcelona? Because if I remember correctly Messi played 7 games in 05-06 UCL and was the single biggest reason why Barca beat Chelsea in knockout stages. Barcelona hadn't won anything in 5 seasons before Messi joined up, 20 trophies after that.

Yeah, semi-final is 1 game less than final. Platini also didn't break small feat like all time scoring record of single year at his time.

Cronaldo would never have 5 Ballon's, don't be ridiculous, I think I already debunked it when we last time discussed about it.

9. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    You never debunked it dude. You only came up with flawed and far-fetched argumentation like "but without Messi the number four would have won".

Anyway, I should ignore you, the Barca fanboy. Which I'll do from now on.

10. 621380

621380 Member

Feb 21, 2004
    germany
    iam sorry this is so stupid misleading.....for the bayern munich players beckenbauer/müller technical only 22 titels was possible to win in this timespan ......this means bayern munich (promoted 1965/66 in the bundesliga, bayern with many young players) must win 6 german championships in row, 6 german cups in row,5 eurochampionscups in row and 5 intercontinental cups in row.....if we put in perspective olso between 1963/64 and 1970/71, 7 diffrent german teams won the german championship the situation was total diffrent on all corners...german players under 18 years wasnt allowed to play senior football...ect..ect.....

11. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Aah yes, logically destroying it.

How am I the fanboy, when I only talk about the truth, the logical truth and nothing but the truth? You distort the reality far more than me mate.

SirWellingtonSilva repped this.
  12. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Well you can count only major trophies like national league and European Cup, if that helps.

13. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

I don't understand this post, what are the numbers next to the countries and why are you only mentioning those countries?

LOL, so your previous comparison is BS :rolleyes:

14. Jaweirdo

Jaweirdo Member+

Aug 19, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Hes showing how Cruyffs Holland team had 19 players playing in the same league hinting to a higher level of knowing how one another plays a-la spanish team nowadays. And points to how Messi's argentina team are scattered so having that telepathic ability is harder to achieve. You cant really compare Cruyffs national career to messis right now though, Cruyffs clearly superior (in terms of greatness, not ability)

15. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Please elaborate? o_O

16. SirWellingtonSilva

May 30, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    You present numbers, and logic is not prelevent in your interpretation of them, more like delusion ranging to lunacy. For example, who in their right mind would suggest there is only 1 game seperating cruyffs international legacy and messis? the numbers you carefully selected are not false, but your interpretation as usual is utter madness.

17. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Umm, so where does Cruyff's NT-legacy base on if not WC74? Please do tell, one lost game in 1976 Euro's? Messi has far exceeded the continental results of Cruyff's.

WCQ/ECQ?

Lets take away the scrub teams Cruyff played against (Iceland, Luxemburg, Norway and Finland) and he scored 7 goals in 16 games, that's better than Messi 12 in 33 WCQ against no scrubs? Not to mention that Messi doesn't play in his home continent, Messi's Argentina doesn't have identity nor familiarity that Cruyff had. What else can we pile on here to show how much more difficult task Messi had/has?

18. SirWellingtonSilva

May 30, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The point which you missed is that the difference between cruyff at 74 and messi at 10 is a whole lot more than, as you put it, one game, its a demeaning and twisted slant. Its his entire performance, his unique style, its helping your team to the final and providing great moments, as opposed to .... flunking the first real challenge in the quarter final with your tail between your legs achieving nothing significant, accept having teammates score off a couple of rebounds because you couldn't score yourself.

Another point, the arrangement of games was different, the differences in wins might 1, but cruyff helped holland win more than 1 more big match than messi did, and the final itself contributed to cruyffs legacy as well for his great imputs, suchas dribbling from about half way to win a penallty

Skorenzy and Pipiolo repped this.
  19. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Umm, you gave zero reasons why Cruyff's WC74 actually was that much better?

Which of these are more impressive:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

I see, thanks.

How many team mates did Maradona had in Argentina at WC 86 or 90? Zero, didn't stop him from winning one and reaching the final in the other.

Your comparison is not valid at least for Beckenbauer and Muller.

Cruyff's is against a team featuring Beckenbauer, Muller, Maier, Netzer, Overath, Breitner and Schwarzenbeck. Just a bunch of scrubs, correct? :sleep:

21. Jaweirdo

Jaweirdo Member+

Aug 19, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  22. Jaweirdo

Jaweirdo Member+

Aug 19, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    While Maradona's WC 86 was undoubtedly the best individual performance at a world cup, theres no need to perpetuate false lies, such as him winning it single handedly and having scrub team mates.

Here's a great article debunking the myth of Maradona:
    http://www.averageopposition.com/2012/03/the-myth-of-maradona.html

For information, I have maradona ranked as number 2 of all time, with Pele at number 1 and his career also has some debunking that needs to be done.

In regards of Cruyff reaching the finals of the world cup lets keep in mind that his team mates were also great. Maradona is one of the only ones who can lay claim to being the biggest difference maker with NT success.

condor11 repped this.
  23. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Of course South Americans have always superior ability :rolleyes:

But it is as usual false reasoning.

The 1974 starting line-up was the first time they played in that composition. The goalkeeper was a change, the center-back pair was a change, Rensenbrink was unavailable for multiple years and also the famed midfield (Van Hanegem-Neeskens-Jansen) was never used before (in every other game before the WC another midfield triangle was used, and that is true).

19 players at the same league doesn't mean that they all play in the same team, and that those teams had the same playing concept. That wasn't the case and it needed to be reconciled. The great divisions between those club teams was a main bottleneck why they never reached a tournament before. Cruijff is a main reason why something such as a somewhat coherent 'Dutch style' came into being. Coherency didn't exist (related to the power of clubs vis-a-vis the FA, which was also the main reason why they did not reach WC70).

Indeed, Cruijff played with some Ajax buddies. But he only knew Suurbier (and Keizer) from the very beginnings. He knew Neeskens from his last three Ajax seasons, Rep from his very last season, Krol from his last four seasons and Haan was a starter in the last two seasons he played there.
    That is all not particularly long and certainly no guarantee for developing a telepathic understanding. If anything, the ability to do so hints at his own abilities.

As for him losing against the host: I don't blame him for losing against an inherently cheating and evil nation, which prevented him from sleeping for two days thanks to dirty tricks, and sent some staff back to home as well.

Bada Bing is crying about Messi not playing at his home continent and raised in Spain. What he of course fails to see is the advantages it brought to his career and development as player.

Finally, Messi himself likes to give the impression that he is still Argentinian. He cherishes forcefully his Argentinian accent (and prevents he adopts a Spanish one), eats Argentinian food and also chose for the Argentinian NT (not Spanish one) exactly because he feels Argentinian, playing in the Argentinian football style. Knowing some of those guys he met from his days as a boy.

And that is crucial of course; they eventually ended at various places across Europe but they are all raised with the same cohesive Argentinian mindset - which Messi himself likes to stress when it comes down to his nationality. And how many caps has Messi already? How many times did he play together with Aguero etc. for the under 21 team? For under 17? Under 15? I can tell you that Cruijff never played any game for the under 21/under 20 team (which back then already existed btw).

I really feel suggesting that Cruijff was lucky to be part of the Netherlands is turning reality on its head. That is a bit like saying how Eusebio was lucky to play for Portugal and Pelé unlucky to play for Brazil.
    Cruijff is a major reason why (the still not very beloved and respected) Netherlands is ahead of Argentina in the historical ELO rating.

I will end with a quote from one of Messi his biggest PR dudes and cheerleaders:
    "Without him there would be no Lionel Messi, Xavi, Andres Iniesta or Pep Guardiola" - Graham Hunter

Skorenzy repped this.
  24. Jaweirdo

Jaweirdo Member+

Aug 19, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I never said Messi had superior ability than Cruyff

25. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    My apologies.

I btw think he has superior ball control but that is also evolution etc. (impossible to compare two vastly different eras).