Messi vs. football records Redux

Discussion in 'Players & Legends' started by Bada Bing, Sep 2, 2013.

1. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I see, thanks.

2. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

3. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  4. frasermc

frasermc Take your flunky and dangle

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    For the above do you know how many matches it took Messi to achieve that total over the 6 seasons? I'm wondering if he is top also on goals per game over the six seasons.

JamesBH11 and Ozora repped this.
  5. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    #181 JamesBH11, Mar 10, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
    that's a very misinfo from KIng-Football.com a clear Messi-ah fan boy website.
    (EVEN I did not mention some data are BS there)

1- Pele was having 3 seasons with 100+ goals that no one ever got (which was clueless reduced for saying Lower leagues and some low tournaments ...

2- At same age, Pele already won everything and had AT LEAST TWICE number of goals Messi ever got ... but again IGNORED

3- Goals are not the only means to say who is better (just a convenience - like I NEVER said bc Pele scored 1000+goals so he was better than others, but he was simply BETTER)

But they also clueless to explain why Pele had even more goals in big tourneys (WC, COPA , International clubs) than those called "low tournaments" ???

Clueless and BIASED

6. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    If you're going with goals per game, the highest one would be Peyroteo who has almost 1.7 GpG in the WW2-era. Then again goals per game means very little.

Most of Pele's official goals were scored in regional league, which would be same if Messi played Catalonian legue, plus lets say Valencia population wise. Which makes Messi's peak, and consistency look even better.

7. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    WRONG assumption and clueless knowledge in history of football especially Brazil leagues

1- Messi never played in catalona league and in FACT: Messi had very POOR <0.3 GPG with LigB and ligC team s0 do NOT BS LOL

2- Most TOPscorer in Pele's time at same "regional legaue" = 30+goals season (just like present) but Pele had 50-100

3- Pele's GPG in "regional leagues" 1.1 GPG < 1.3GPG vs top European Clubs s and BIG games
    so the so called Regional league should be >> UCL now? so clueless

8. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  9. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Do you have a definitive list so I can see where Messi places on it...?

Does it? I would say goals per game would relate to how prolific a striker/forward is which would be quite relevant.

10. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Nope.

Yes, it relates more to the level of competition, and is affected by how much players play, thus by itself it's a bad indicator.

11. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Would it be possible to speculate the reason for not having that list is due to Messi not featuring top on it...?

Eh?? It's the same set of matches that you have used for Messi to be top goalscorer over 6 consecutive seasons. Why is it fine for that list but not for comparing a goals per games ratio that would equate to how prolific a forward is...?

Pipiolo repped this.
  12. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Sure.

Because "top scorer" is what is interesting, it has been used since the beginning of football, thus it wins personal trophies, in different competitions. They don't care how many matches anyone played.

It isn't any better indicator than goals per game, but GpG is usually used by those who don't understand football statistics, and thus it creates more delusion, when casual fans understand it even less, and thus it's actually worse indicator.

If you go with GpG, then you might just as well go with era-adjustment and team edge-adjustment, but I don't have time for those.

13. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    What a pile of crap.

Goals per game is intrinsically linked to amount of goals scored over a period of time. In this case, a 6 year period.

I think it is fairly safe to say Lionel Messi took quite a bit longer to amass his total goals over that 6yr period than quite a few others did, thus unfairly tipping the scales in Messi's direction.

It is also fairly obvious to state the more time a striker/forward has on the pitch the more opportunity he is given to score hence the more opportunity he has to top a list such as most goals accrued over a 6yr period.

It would be very interesting to see the goals per game ratio over the 6 year period to give an idea of just how much of an advantage Messi has/had over other footballers on the list.

Of course, it could show that he didn't have much of an advantage at all but, then again, if that was the case I am sure you would have highlighted it by now... :rolleyes:

14. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Of course, Messi didn't play in the World War-era, or in regional leagues like some others, so it's natural Messi needed more games.

You say more time, which I can counter with individuality of the goal. Messi is probably most individualistic scorer of all-time, he builds most of his own goals, where as striker/forward rate is usually somewhere 70-80% directly assisted goals. So he's bigger part of the goals in relation. Again using GpG as some kind of corrective is really, really bad. It isn't corrective, because it's just as bad as total goals scored. Thus it shouldn't be used, because it hasn't been to this point.

This is just straightforward thinking for every logical person, but not all can be logical, which is also pretty obvious.

15. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I'm not using it as a corrective but as a comparative.

As a 'logical' person I am sure you can understand that...

Nevertheless, at the end of the day, you can try and dress it up any way you like (which is fairly amusing, well, my 10yr old son laughed...) but all this shows is your clear bias towards all things Lionel Messi related.

For a 'logical' thinker such as yourself it is perplexing as to why you cannot see the damage your stance causes in relation to your arguments over Messi (and his greatness).

16. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I have zero bias, everything I say is based always on the concrete evidence, statistics, truth and logic, and I can easily debate them, because I have all those in my corner.

You on the other hand have a lot of bias, you seldom use any concrete evidence, statistics, truth or logic. Usually you just refer personal inspection, attacks, rather than debating your arguments. This is football forum, not Bada Bing forum.

Amusing, was just about to say I almost always giggle when I read your posts. But lets just leave that to that, if your boy really reads these. :)

17. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland

If you are accusing me of attacks (no idea what you are going on about with the term personal inspection...) could you please post these for me to reply to. Thanks.

Oh wait, I've looked up the term 'personal inspection'...

http://www.personalinspection.com/

It applies mostly in the field of engineering where it is used to measure and even test the characteristics of an object or an activity. In this regard, the results must be compared to certain requirements or standards so as to be able to confirm whether the object or even the activity meets the target.

Sounds good to me. :geek:

18. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Forgot to say I also have a very rare, perfect self-esteem, thus I hardly never go personal, and I have zero interest of debating about me myself. For me it would be like watching paint dry, in a humid day.

19. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    You've accused me of personal attacks. Again, I will reiterate could I please have some validation of that accusation.

20. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Pretty much every time you speak to me your go personal, take a pick.

21. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    It is Bada Bing his personal website.

What I notice, and you can go many different ways with it, is the relatively unknown stature of the previous record holders. Zarra, Georgescu, Cesar Rodriguez and Alcantara were at least until quite recently (say, a decade ago) fairly unknown in an international context and probably they still are.

Di Stefano, Müller, Raul and Figo are of course genuine 'legends', but not too long ago (see the multiple 1990s and end-of-the-century lists) Müller was rated markedly lower as he is now, and Raul always was a case with very mixed and divided opinions (like Zidane, LOL). As example reminding this:
    http://soccer-europe.com/Biographies/Raul.html

SayWhatIWant repped this.
  22. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Can I have examples please. You seem to have plenty of them.

23. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I can't prove your motive was this from the start (which we both know), but this it the point you verbally provided it.

This is the last post from me about it, the thread is Messi vs football records, not Bada Bing, why is he.

24. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Welcome to internet age.