Messi vs Diego

Discussion in 'Players & Legends' started by Paul_NL, Mar 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul_NL

Paul_NL Red Card

May 18, 2006
    Kun would have scored 100 plus goals if he stayed in Argentina

2. Paul_NL

Paul_NL Red Card

May 18, 2006
    Maradona scored 34 goals(many of which came from the spot, 10?) before he turned 20 at the higest level

Or does Messi´s goals for Barcelona B and C also count? Or his goals for the Catalunya cup?

3. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    Why do his goals in the Metropolitano not count when the teams involved were largely the same as the National Championship?

4. lanman

Aug 30, 2002
    Pure speculation and a complete absence of any fact. Sounds about par for the course coming from you.

5. bosterosoy

bosterosoy New Member

Jan 22, 2007
    In a House
    yes ok, so now the Argentinian league is on par with the second division of La Liga

Dreamo On.

I don't think you understand (or maybe just want to continue ignoring) that back when Maradona was playing, many of the players from Argentina, Brasil and rest of South America didn't go to Europe.

What does that mean? maradona was playing with some of the top players in the world, just like you say Messi is at Barcelona. Remember who won the Wc in '78? Argentina! And the main players behind that team were all playing in Argentina

6. Paul_NL

Paul_NL Red Card

May 18, 2006
    His total goals was about on par of Diego´s

7. Paul_NL

Paul_NL Red Card

May 18, 2006
    They were not all playing in Argentina and Diego did not win a Championship with Barcelona at a later age despite the talent level of the La Liga begin a lot lower then it´s now.

Do you enjoy to always lose an argument?

8. bosterosoy

bosterosoy New Member

Jan 22, 2007
    In a House
    why don't you also mention that Barcelona wasn't as good as it is now?
    why don't you mention that Messi played a [very] minimal role in winning those championships

And Maradona won the Copa del Rey with Barcelona
    and got injured because of a vicious foul in which it is clear that the player went out to injure him and caused him to miss a year

9. lanman

Aug 30, 2002
    It's pretty plain to see that there is only one person on here who has lost the argument and is simply recycling tired points that have been successfully argued against.

10. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Because he is clueless.

Actually the Metropolitano had to be tougher in terms of scoring, because it involved only teams from Buenos Aires, Rosario and La Plata.

The Nacional featured teams from all over the country, some of which were smaller clubs from small cities.

I didn't check the stats, but I would guess than on just about every year when they played both tournaments, there would be an higher average of goals scored per game in the Nacional than in the Metropolitano.

In the 'Metro', most teams were very competitive, in fact Diego's team (Argentinos Juniors) was probably considered the weakest at the time of his emergence on the scene. Diego playing in Argentinos Juniors was the equivalent of having Messi play for Quilmes today. Except for the fact that the league was stronger back then, because they didn't have the same flight of talent that they have now.

11. Paul_NL

Paul_NL Red Card

May 18, 2006
    Paul

12. Paul_NL

Paul_NL Red Card

May 18, 2006
    Asnwering a question with a question is weak.

Try it again...

13. lanman

Aug 30, 2002
    So now it's just a case of ignoring points that you cannot refute rather than putting out feeble arguments. At the risk of repeating myself, why do Maradona's goals in the Metropolitano not count when they were scored against largely the same teams as in the National Championship?

14. lanman

Aug 30, 2002
    23 goals in Argentina for Aguero. I would say try again, but you would probably be better off not doing so.

15. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    I think this thread deserves to be closed. Once someone actually puts forth the argument that Messi was a "key" player in the first championship he won with Barca, there's really no reason to keep reading.