Messi vs Diego

Discussion in 'Players & Legends' started by Paul_NL, Mar 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ronaldinho11

Ronaldinho11 Red Card

Jul 28, 2003
    San Pedro Sula
    Club:
    CD Olimpia
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    LOL, they're talking about Diego Maradona... not Diego from Werder Bremen genius.

2. pippomo

pippomo Member

Jun 15, 2006
    Modena
    You're right. I miss that era. In Italy Maradona had trouble each game also against teams very low in the standings. And I think it was the same in his early years in Argentina were the difenders were just as hard as in Italy.

And P.s.: nobody since he left has been as good as Maradona. Absolutely the best player of modern football ( =since Ajax ). I think nobody came even close or is even close now.

3. United_xxx

United_xxx Member

Aug 10, 2004
    Thailand
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Roby Baggio once interviewed that playing in this era, this so-called modern football (1994 onwards), is much more simpler than in 80's and that's one of the reasons why he can excel till his retirement in 2002.

PS. I can't believe that I wasted my time replying this. :D

4. Paul_NL

Paul_NL Red Card

May 18, 2006
    Source: www.fairytales.com?

5. TKORL

TKORL Member

Dec 30, 2006
    Club:
    Valencia CF
    I think Messi will turn out to be better, but at the same age, Maradona had accomplished a lot more. Maradona developed much quicker than Messi, making his Argentina debut at 16 (I don't know if Messi made his u-20 debut at age 16) but Messi all of a sudden had a spurt from the ages of 17-19. They have really developed at different paces, which is normaly. It will be amuch more valid comparison 5 years from now. Do hope that Messi bulks up tho.

6. Paul_NL

Paul_NL Red Card

May 18, 2006
    Messi was 16 when he became world Champion and best player, Diego was 18

7. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    Go back and look at your original post and do the maths again.

8. Dutch Treat

Dutch Treat Member

May 6, 2005
    Amsterdam|Alphen a/d Rijn
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    No use in having an argument with Paul, he just sticks to his "all knowing" and "I'm can't be wrong" picture of himself. He kind of disappeared from the Dutch board, for obvious reasons. He always cracks me up, though.

Today is D-Day Paul, how are you doing? :p

9. TKORL

TKORL Member

Dec 30, 2006
    Club:
    Valencia CF
    If you are talking about youth level, I really don't care. It is really about senior level football.

10. United_xxx

United_xxx Member

Aug 10, 2004
    Thailand
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nah we don't need any supporting source in this thread.

Rob Kaman vs Ramonds Dekkers who's better?

11. Paul_NL

Paul_NL Red Card

May 18, 2006
    One world cup appearance - zero WC appearances

12. Paul_NL

Paul_NL Red Card

May 18, 2006
    Done and it's stil 16 and 18

13. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    Born 1987.
    World Youth Cup 2005.
    2005-1987=18 (he actually turned 18 in the middle of the tournament)

Might I suggest investing in this

14. bosterosoy

bosterosoy New Member

Jan 22, 2007
    In a House
    And by reading jsut the first 2 pages of his 'argument' I can declare that he knows absolutely nothing about what he is talking about.

Lanman way to stick it to him. Major reps.

'Oleguer is thus better than Maradona since he has won more before turning 20 than Maradona had when he turned that age'

Only a moron would decide something based on titles won. Wow, I guess then LaVolpe could be considered a better goalkeeper than Goycochea since LaVolpe won a WC title in 78 as the third string gk while Goycochea never won the World Cup :rolleyes:

15. bosterosoy

bosterosoy New Member

Jan 22, 2007
    In a House
    This has to be the dumbest thing I've heard
    It is a fact that attacking midfielders are the least fit on the team??
    Are you kidding me?

16. bosterosoy

bosterosoy New Member

Jan 22, 2007
    In a House
    ok :rolleyes:

Let's get this straight
    Facing man-marking is a lot more difficult for players Like Messi and Maradona.
    Just look at what Ronaldinho did against Chelsea last season when they man-marked him?? Absolutely nothing and they only went through because by man-marking Ronaldinho, they weren't able to man-mark Messi.

So according to Paul_NL, it is more of a feat to be an on-off starter on a top class team and win titles (sometimes playing just 7 out of 38 games) than it is to take a team that is more used to the second division and take them to second place in the entire country:eek:

Tremendous logic on your behalf Paul_NL:rolleyes:

17. bosterosoy

bosterosoy New Member

Jan 22, 2007
    In a House
    exactly why they didn't make the semis

also, what the hell does Atletico Bilbao results from 1983 have to do with this arguement at all?

18. bosterosoy

bosterosoy New Member

Jan 22, 2007
    In a House
    after reading this comment, I've decided not to waste my time readin the alst 2 pages i haven't read yet.

Tell me which teams have 6 to 8 internationals in their starting line-up in Spain??

Real Madrid, Valencia and Barcelona. Atletico Madrid perhaps (though it's pushing it).

19. Paul_NL

Paul_NL Red Card

May 18, 2006
    You don´t know how to read

20. Me+11

Me+11 New Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Malaysia
    I think the comparison shouldn't be make at all.. Facts and opinions all have mix up.. Everybody 'knows' football more than others..

Messi is Present and Maradona is Past.. So, based on my logic:

Main ()
    Begin
    If Past = Great then
    Go to Legend ()
    Else Now = Great then
    Go To Promised ()
    End if
    Facts = Interprete by Opinions
    Result = Randoms AND Infinite
    End

Function Legend ()
    Begin
    If Aged =< 19 then
    People NOT EQUAL to peak time
    Archivement != Different time AND League
    End

Function Promised ()
    Begin
    Go To Wait ()
    End

Get my logic??? :D darn.. I'm so bored right now..

The truth is I hate this arguement.. I like both Maradona and Messi and I don't care who is better than who.. Is it important? Maradona say Messi is great and Messi said Maradona is irreplaceable.. Oh.. Life is beautiful..

21. Pecho Frio

Pecho Frio New Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Ali Sami Yen
    Well sometimes we need to act polite, use euphemisms in order to stay civilized. Keep that in mind, be civilized. I know that being a part of Boca
    and being civilized are very hard to achieve together. But just try and make the effort. You will thank me in the future.

Secondly; classic no 10 players like Hagi, Maradona, Messi do not / did not have a good level of stamina. The classic no 10 may not carry the needed effort and work level as a defender-def. midfielder- libero-winger-back- forward. And that level of fitness is not very important for the attacking midfielder if he got the right skills. An unfit defender deserves second division. An unfit defensive midfielder deserves third division. An unfit attacking midfield can be WORLD CLASS. ( here unfit is used as in "the least fit" )

Hope you understood that now. I do not know what else I can do for you to understand this basic football knowledge.

22. Paul_NL

Paul_NL Red Card

May 18, 2006
    Every team besides maybe Bilbao and some bottom teams

23. Paul_NL

Paul_NL Red Card

May 18, 2006
    It´s Atlethic and read the argument again maybe you will then understand it

24. bosterosoy

bosterosoy New Member

Jan 22, 2007
    In a House
    The only thing I see here is hat you consider playing a minor role in a CL team at age 19 is better than having scored 100+ goals at the age 19