Messi vs Diego

Discussion in 'Players & Legends' started by Paul_NL, Mar 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul_NL

Paul_NL Red Card

May 18, 2006
    Maybe you did not yet get it but this thread is about what they have done in the teenages

2. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

I don't know why you keep arguing this way. Did you watch Diego play as a teenager? As good as Messi is, I believe that nobody who saw Diego play as a teenager can honestly make a serious comparison. Diego was a freak of nature, he was unbelievable.

As amazing as his career was in Napoli, and as impressively as he dominated at the 86 WC, it is not a stretch to say that Diego played his best football at Argentinos Juniors, as a teen.

3. Paul_NL

Paul_NL Red Card

May 18, 2006
    Yes I have.

How many players who are not yet 20 are starters and game-winners for any major European team?

4. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    Rooney was, Christiano Ronaldo was, Ronaldo was, Giggs was, Raul was, Casillas was, Del Piero was, Kluivert was, Totti was, Fabregas is, Anelka was. It's not is if it's an unusual occurance for a teenager to play regularly for a big side or to be a match winner.

5. Paul_NL

Paul_NL Red Card

May 18, 2006
    Messi does it with the bigest team in the world and with the best team in the world.

Most of the names mentioned were/are not game winners at 19

6. lanman

Aug 30, 2002

All of them were/are game winners as teenagers for their clubs.
    That is why I listed them. If you don't believe me, go and do a bit of research on those players.

7. Paul_NL

Paul_NL Red Card

May 18, 2006
    No need to. I know my stuff, you clearly don't

8. lanman

Aug 30, 2002
    Look. If you don't know that Kluivert scored the winning goal in the CL final at the age of 17, or that Rooney was winning games at Euro 2004, or that Anelka played a key role in Arsenal winning the double then there is no hope for you.
    You have lost every argument you have had in this thread to a number of different posters, yet you still carry on making pathetic statements that do little to show anything other than a complete ignorance about the game and individuals standings withing it. Please, just leave this alone as with every single further post you make here, you are looking more and more like a little Messi fan-boy who has not seen any football prior to 2005.

9. Paul_NL

Paul_NL Red Card

May 18, 2006
    I know

10. Paul_NL

Paul_NL Red Card

May 18, 2006

Which arguments?

11. lanman

Aug 30, 2002
    That Messi aged 19 was better than a similar aged Maradona.
    That Messi playing 40 games is equivilent to Maradona playing 150+
    That you "know soccer"
    That Messi playing bit part roles in 3 trophiy wins is important, but Oleguer playing a more important role is not.
    That Matthews and Finney were not great players because they won very little.
    That no player other than Messi is/was a game winner for their club as a teenager.

12. lanman

Aug 30, 2002
    So therefore you will know that what you claim for Messi also applies to a number of other players and that it is not a unique achievement for a teenager to be a match winner.

13. Paul_NL

Paul_NL Red Card

May 18, 2006
    If you compare them what they have archived untill they are 20 you could be right

14. Paul_NL

Paul_NL Red Card

May 18, 2006
    Paul

15. lanman

Aug 30, 2002
    You seem to be confusing 'Fact' with 'Opinion'. Moreso, with opinion that has been coherently and comprehensively argued against and against which counter-arguements you have provided nothing to back up your original claim.

It's your arguement. How difficult is it to understand that if you claim credit for Messi for those trophies, then other players must also gain credit for them?

Your words - "They were not then". Maybe you should start looking at what you have posted here.

No - you just ignored the fact that there are plenty of players over the past few years who have been in the same position. You are claiming that being a teenager who plays an important role for his team is something rare. (your words being "How many players who are not yet 20 are starters and game-winners for any major European team?"). My response was to list a number of players who either are or have been recently in the same position. The situation does not make Messi stand out from any number of other recent players. You could certainly make a very good case for Fabregas playing a much more prominant role than Messi over the past few seasons.

16. Paul_NL

Paul_NL Red Card

May 18, 2006
    You posted a bogus list.

17. Paul_NL

Paul_NL Red Card

May 18, 2006
    Paul

18. lanman

Aug 30, 2002
    No it's not. If you repeat "2+2=5" enough times it still does not make it correct.

So now we are resorting to personal attacks simply because you're arguement is now being used against you. Pathetic.

I understand the argument fine. I asked if Finney and Matthews were still great players as they won very little. You then said they were not then. The only thing I am struggling to understand is where you're confusion comes from.

????

All I did was simply post a list of recent players who have played key match winning roles as teenagers. Sorry if this is something that doesn't fit in with your view of things.

19. Paul_NL

Paul_NL Red Card

May 18, 2006
    Paul

20. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    I would imagine a room with a mirror would be your best bet.

21. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  22. Paul_NL

Paul_NL Red Card

May 18, 2006
    Watch the defending. It was a joke and it shows Pecho Frio is right

23. lanman

Aug 30, 2002
    Looking at the video below, it is obvious the the modern goalkeeper is a complete liability and therefore we can discount the abilities of any modern goalscorers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_w_KLagZjY

It's easy to be selective to prove a point.

24. |PAtrick|

|PAtrick| New Member

Mar 12, 2007
    Argentina!
    awesome video! Lol!:)

25. Tony Dellbird

Tony Dellbird English and Proud

Mar 26, 2004
    Jolly Ol' England
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team: