Messi vs Diego

Discussion in 'Players & Legends' started by Paul_NL, Mar 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul_NL

Paul_NL Red Card

May 18, 2006
    Lionel Messi

Born: 24 - 6 - 1987

Prices won:

With Argentina National Team:

FIFA U-20 World Cup: 2005

With FC Barcelona:

La Liga: 2004-05, 2005-06
    UEFA Champions League: 2005-06
    Supercopa de España: 2005, 2006

Personal Honours:

Golden Ball: FIFA U-20 World Cup 2005
    Golden Boot: FIFA U-20 World Cup 2005
    Golden Boy: 2005
    Olimpia de Plata: Argentinian player of the year 2005
    2006 [FIFPro World Young Player of the Year]

Diego

Born: 30-10-1960

1979 Golden Ball for Best Player of the FIFA U-20 World Cup
    1979 Argentine league Top Scorer
    1979 Argentine Football Writers' Footballer of the Year
    1979 South American Footballer of the Year (El Mundo, Caracas)

Clearly Messi is superior to Diego now

2. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Clearly? I think not.

3. Paul_NL

Paul_NL Red Card

May 18, 2006
    Interesting, you have an opinion as well?

4. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    I could explain further but considering you made the school boy error of basing everyone on achievements, I fear I would be completely wasting my time.

5. Miran Klosnic

Miran Klosnic New Member

Feb 1, 2006
    Why is Messi above Diego? Because he plays for Barcelona? I don't think so. Both a world class players but Diego has far more experience and is more consistent.The only thing Messi has an advantage is his pace.

6. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    You've missed out two pretty important facts.

1 - Messi plays on a great Barcelona side, where others can cover any poor games he has. Maradona played for Argentinos Juniors, who are a side (at the time) you would liken to a Middlesbrough or a Fulham.

2 - Messi has played 39 league games in his career, scoring 14 goals. At the same age Maradona had played 167 games and scored 116 goals

7. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    Wrong Diego :rolleyes:.

But that Diego was far from consistent during his time at Porto which was where he played when he has Messi's age.

And I certainly don't know how he has "far more experience" than Messi. They have more or less similar NT experience and as far as club it's debatable. Messi has more CL experience and has won more things with his club while Diego has played in more leagues.

8. Paul_NL

Paul_NL Red Card

May 18, 2006
    Diego only played in the Argentinian league.

Players you can compare with there same age and so far Messi is far ahead of Diego. He was won more and proven more

9. Naughty by Nature

Naughty by Nature New Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Earth: Europe : ??
    ^ Its Diego the brazilian from Werder Bremen not Diego Maradona.

10. lanman

Aug 30, 2002
    I would say that 150 games and over 100 goals in Argentina is worth at least as much as 40 in Spain. Let's not forget that a good deal of the 78 World CUp winning team still played in the country and it is long before foreign clubs started signing fringe players from South America. The league was a lot stronger 30 years ago than it is now.

Maradona played for a team that were prety much a non-entity in terms of their history (who had won nothing of note) and turned them into title contenders. Messi plays for one of the best teams in the world so of course he will have won more.

The season in which Maradona turned 20 (which is comparable to this year for Messi) saw a record of 43 goals in 45 games. Go and look up Messi's stats for this past year and compare.

Maradona's international record of games played at the age of 19 was 8 games and 5 goals. Again, go and look at what Messi has achieved for Argentina since the World Cup and compare.

It's also worth noting that Messi has missed substantial time on more than one occassion due to injury, whereas Maradona was playing regularly almost throughout his teens.

11. Paul_NL

Paul_NL Red Card

May 18, 2006
    Paul

12. lanman

Aug 30, 2002
    Even so, if you included Messi's stats from Barcelona B then they would not compare.

But he is not the focal point of the team. He is a contributor, Maradona was everything to Argentinos.

Would he score 40?

Maradona not going to the 78 World Cup was not a straight forward decision. It has as much to do with the coach not wanting to disrupt his existing plans as the public would have demanded Maradona to play.
    Messi's International record is 2 goals in 12 games. Maradona's at a similar age was 20 caps and 8 goals and that is despite a period of over 18 months where he was selected just once (mainly covering 1978 for the reasons highlighted previously). There is no comparison in either their club or international records.

13. Paul_NL

Paul_NL Red Card

May 18, 2006
    Paul

14. lanman

Aug 30, 2002
    When he plays. The fact is, at the same age Maradona had played 4 times the amount of games Messi has and scored a much greater amount of goals. His contributions to his team far outstrips that of Messi.

How do you know that? You are putting opinion up against fact.

Messi has played 120 minutes of World Cup football. It's not as if he was player of the tournament - he was a bit part player and the only game he started was a group game when Argentina had already qualified.

So what if Messi has three winners medals? You can discount one league title as he only played 7 games and even in the following campaign he still failed to play in half of Barcelona's games. His contribution was slight and they would have won those titles without him.
    Stick him at Getafe and see what he would win. Maradona took a club that had won nothing and who whenever they were in the top flight were among the favourites for relegation and turned them into serious title contenders.
    Oleguer has two title medals and a CL winners medal (and probably played more than Messi in each) - does that make him a great player?
    Messi is a long, long way short of anything Maradona had achieved at a similar age and you are in a minority of one if you believe anything otherwise.

15. Quaresma_7

Quaresma_7 New Member

Jul 4, 2006
    London, Canada
    why are some ppl still arguing about maradona???... the thread just says diego.... dnt u ppl think he would but Messi vs. Maradona... and Maradona was much better hten Messi will ever be.... hes up there with Pele and Eusebio, Beckenbauer and those names..... Messi i think is well overrated...

16. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    I think the clue was in the initial post when the thread starter wrote

"Diego

Born: 30-10-1960

1979 Golden Ball for Best Player of the FIFA U-20 World Cup
    1979 Argentine league Top Scorer
    1979 Argentine Football Writers' Footballer of the Year
    1979 South American Footballer of the Year (El Mundo, Caracas)"

Now I may be wrong, but I don't think the Diego of Werder Bremen was born in 1960 or won those awards.

17. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Well, of course Messi is better now, but what can you expect? You have to consider that Diego has been through a lot, since he retired. :D

18. Paul_NL

Paul_NL Red Card

May 18, 2006
    Paul

19. lanman

Aug 30, 2002
    What part of this don't you get? Messi plays for a club always in contention for major honours and is a contributor to that whereas Maradon was the focal point in turning a mediocre club into title contenders. Did you even bother to read the bit about how much of a role Messi played in those titles? He played 7 games in one (most, if not all, after the title was won) and less than half in each of the others. He is essentially a part time contributor whereas Maradona was the key to Argentinos.

The first part is very debatable, the second is not even part of this debate. Aguero has nothing to do with Messi or Maradona.

And Messi's total games played is almost insignificant compared to what Maradona played and performed in.

And Jonathan Greening has a CL winners medal. Listing trophies won is meaningless unless you actually look at how much a player contributed towards them. Stanley Matthews won one trophy in his career whereas Ray Houghton won everything going in England. I don't think you'll find any person who would argue that Houghton was the better player based on this.

How so? Putting Messi into the same sort of situation Maradona found himself as a teenager and trying to look at what he would have achieved is trying to create a balanced playing field for the comparison.

I'm using you're logic here. By your reckoning, part of what makes Messi better than Maradona at the same age is that he has won those trophies. By extension, Oleguer must also get the same degree of credit for them as he certainly contributed as much as Messi towards them.

20. Paul_NL

Paul_NL Red Card

May 18, 2006

21. lanman

Aug 30, 2002
    Once more:

Not always - Stanley Matthews, Tom Finney, Alan Shearer were all great players with little to no return.
    If you don't play at a big club it is difficult to win trophies. It's not a difficult concept to understand but you really are struggling with it.
    Also, Maradona won his first title at the age of 21, which was (drum roll please) the first year he played for a big club. Before that he played for a team that was never a threat to even challenge for the title and he, singlehandedly, turned them into a team that did challenge.

So what does Aguero have to do with this? Also, what grounds do you have to suppose that Messi would match his record given that he has struggled to play 20 games in a single season.

Such a great argument. 40 is a lot less than 160. Four times less in fact. Maradona had some seasons before the age of 20 where he played more games than Messi has in his career. That makes the number of games Messi has played insignificant when compared to Maradona's record.

Really? Something I never knew. Thank you for enlightening me with your knowledge. The point I was making (which you managed to miss completely) is that from the age of 16 to the age of 19 Maradona was the focal point of a poor team which he turned into title contenders and that by suggesting that we try to look at how Messi would have coped in a similar situation (it would be a bit difficult to turn a similar team into contenders when he finds it hard to play 20 games a year)

If your original point (on which that argument was based) is a joke, then yes it is a joke. Otherwise it is just a point made using your own reasoning.

So six games (played after the title was won) constitutes a key contirbution towards winning the title? Likewise, does playing in less than half of the games in the other title Barcelona won constitue anything other than a partial contribution? How many times did Messi play after the group stages of the Champions League in 2006? again it wa nothing more than a partial contribution.

So you would fit in really well.

Now do me (and anyone else who stumbles across this thread) a serious favour by stop continuing an argument you have clearly lost about a subject you clearly have no idea about. Please.

22. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Where do you get your information?

Maradona didn't win the World cup until he was 25. But he did win some other titles earlier in his career.

At age 18 Maradona was the star of Argentina and led them in dominant fashion to win the World Youth (U-20) Title.

At age 20 he was the key player in leading Boca Juniors to its first Argentine league title in five years, in the process beating a star-studded River Plate that had I think six players from Argentina 78 WC winners.

At age 22 he won the Copa del Rey with Barcelona, beating Real Madrid in the final.

At age 25, he won the World Cup, and put together what is arguably the most dominant performance in the history of the World Cup.

He later won two Italian league championships with Napoli, as well as a UEFA cup, a Coppa Italia and a Supercup.

23. guado

guado Member+

Jun 30, 2004
    ocotengo miedo
    Club:
    Inverness Caledonian Thistle
    Nat'l Team:
    Indonesia
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

as far as those two lines, and the rests of his posts...

talk about fan boys...

24. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    He already has built quite a reputation for himself on the Argentine boards. I think he thrives on being laughed at.

25. Paul_NL

Paul_NL Red Card

May 18, 2006
    Paul