Messi is the best player in history, with Maradona?

Discussion in 'Soccer History' started by Alexander88, Jun 15, 2013.

1. Alexander88

Alexander88 Member

Jan 26, 2013
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Messi is the best in the history with Maradona, the nostalgia of the past must accept it because this is a fact.

He is just from another planet. the thing that I like about him is the fact that it is not arrogant buffoon like Pele, is a humble guy, the only thing it lacks is perhaps the charisma of Maradona

I do not speak of what he has won or how many goals does, but the way he plays.

He is the perfest modern player.

He have the acceleration and speed of Ronaldo, ball control and dribbling of Maradona, the vision of the game of Platini, the total football of Cruyff.
    Technically the only player at his level is Maradona. Pele was a player in an unnatural way of playing, just see his dribbling and how it runs, always with the lower back, is not natural.

Messi is not the new Maradona is a new Cruyff but stronger. The new maradona there will never be any more. His way of playing, spectacular and effective I saw him only in Ronaldo and Ronaldhino

2. SirWellingtonSilva

May 30, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    technicallyly there are quite a lot of players better than him imo. Its well known his genius is with his nimblenes. His technique on the otherhand is soft and nice, world class, but not 10/10

3. Alexander88

Alexander88 Member

Jan 26, 2013
    Club:
    AC Milan
    What makes me more angry and hear people saying that Zidane is better.

Zidane is nothing, in the level with Rivaldo. Rivaldo was even better in the world cup.

4. Alexander88

Alexander88 Member

Jan 26, 2013
    Club:
    AC Milan

who??
    the technique for me is ball control, coordination, accuracy and dribbling.

Not to be confused the technical with elegance.

5. SirWellingtonSilva

May 30, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    For me technique is ball control and accuracy. Maradona, ronaldinho, totti, iniesta, zidane, romario, to name a few are better at this. And these are only from quite recent times, further in the past i think there are probably a few more.

6. Alexander88

Alexander88 Member

Jan 26, 2013
    Club:
    AC Milan

Ronaldhino, Totti, Iniesta, Zidane, romario ahha ah aha aha ha aha ah ah aha ha ha ha

are you kidding me???

Zidane is nothing,

you confuse the technique with elegance, Zidane did not have a ball control at all levels of Ronaldo.
    tha ball control is this

ball control, it means keeping the ball attached to a foot at high speeds, Zidane was slow did not have control of the ball to Messi did not come close
    the others you mentioned do not even comment. are nothing Compared to Messi

The most skilled players I've seen after Messi was Ronaldo, but Messi has benefited from the physical and of course makes everything better.

In the past, only Maradona at his level and the others very far, far away

7. Alexander88

Alexander88 Member

Jan 26, 2013
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Messi in addition to having the physical advantage, he thinks before the others, and think faster. I've seen this ability only in Ronaldo and Messi.

what I mean??'

this

07:22

predict the future, anticipate the opponent's moves

8. SirWellingtonSilva

May 30, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Dribbling is just one technique of many and its a lot based on athletic attributes. There are other types of techniques like trapping, and other types of touch.

for example

messi doesnt have those capabilities

9. Alexander88

Alexander88 Member

Jan 26, 2013
    Club:
    AC Milan

Messi does not need to do those things.

10. Alexander88

Alexander88 Member

Jan 26, 2013
    Club:
    AC Milan

are just useless numbers for circus, ineffective and unnecessary

11. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    at this point you lose the debate....

laudrup_10 repped this.
  12. Goody

Goody New Member

Jun 17, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Malaysia
    Yes Messi is good... But,

I will vote CHRISTIANO RONALDO again and again if I have the opportunity

13. Alexander88

Alexander88 Member

Jan 26, 2013
    Club:
    AC Milan

i repeat ah ah ah ah ah ah ah.

Cristiano who??

0.17 commentators
    C.Ronaldo will never get to his level, even from 1000 years, there are players who are born like that, already phenomena, Messi is among them, C.Ronaldo not.

14. La-Máquina

La-Máquina BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 5, 2013
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Messi Good, George Best.

RoyOfTheRovers repped this.
  15. Alexander88

Alexander88 Member

Jan 26, 2013
    Club:
    AC Milan
    George who???

16. Simmer

Simmer Member

Feyenoord
    Netherlands
    Oct 23, 2009
    Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Messi has to perform in the World Cup though to be considered the greatest. No doubt he belongs in the list of best footballers but he still has to prove it on another stage without Xavi & Iniesta. These two have won it all and makes it easier for Messi to shine for Barcelona. Can he do as well for Argentina?

17. La-Máquina

La-Máquina BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 5, 2013
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Who is the most efficient goalscorer of all time? (club football)
    Who is the most efficient goalscorer of all time? (International football)
    Who is the most influential footballer of the modern era?
    Who is the most consistent World Class performer of all time?
    Which era/league had the most competitive football (in terms of technique, ability, competition level)?
    Which footballer was the most influential at the World Cup/European Cup?
    Which footballer is called the greatest by all his peers (teammate, coach, opponent, critics)?

18. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Good list of questions ...

1- At international CLUB level: Muller or Messi. But both international club + country: PELE
    2- This is tricky question, may be Maradona
    3- PELE (between 12 to 15 depends on criteria)
    4- It's also tricky ,... between either 60's or 80's
    5- Whoelse but PELE - Beckenbauer, Muller or Zidane deserved a mention for Euro+WC
    6- one name : PELE

19. Alexander88

Alexander88 Member

Jan 26, 2013
    Club:
    AC Milan

20. Simmer

Simmer Member

Feyenoord
    Netherlands
    Oct 23, 2009
    Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    What defines greatness in football?

Messi is not greater than Cruyff. Maybe in terms of skill and goalscoring ability.
    But Cruyff was so much more than a good footballer, he revolutionized the game.

Cruyff shaped Barcelona into what it is today. Messi is just an incredible football player.
    Pele and Maradona are icons but what did they do for football after their career was over?

I think Cruyff has the edge when it comes to these things. The influence he had on football.
    The guy even didn't have to win the World Cup to be considered one of the best players ever.

21. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    ^ Best player is not the same as most influence on football. Cruyff was a great player, but you can't include his managerial merits to his playing merits. Also - it is too black and white to give all the credit for today's Barca to Cruyff.

(for the record, I like Cruyff and have nothing against him.)

RoyOfTheRovers repped this.
  22. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Is there any football figure that deserves all credit for what a club or team has achieved? In your view?
    That is of course the key here, in reality no one is solely responsible for the fate of an organization. Microsoft and Apple aren't solely built by Gates and Jobs either.

Of course he had no expertise in all areas but it is well documented how he shaped the Barcelona football academy, and changed the overall mentality. Both with own insights and applying insights of others in a fruitful way. The results are obviously visible.

Guardiola had not existed in his current being (and reached professional football) without this. That is no secret. He was a third team player, too slow and frail, not particularly gifted, and ready to be offloaded.

And as Graham Hunter pointed out, the decline in fortunes when Barca was managed by people with other insights was also obvious. Luckily for them, Laporta and the Blue Elephants managed to retake power.

23. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    No. Histories of clubs are built up by so many contributors in different circumstances, and it's ignorant/dismissive to not give credit where it is due: Cruyff deserves a lot, but when the whole of Barca's history is considered, his piece of credit is just a small piece of the cake (even if one of the absolute biggest pieces).

Yes, but it's not like after Cruyff's contributions Barca only leaned on them. Only fairly recently, Rijkaard's Barca differed a lot from Pep's Barca. Again: not trying to say Cruyff isn't superinfluential, but there are other very influential people as well, and they don't all just imitate what Cruyff did.

24. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Well yes, I agree with you that they did not literally imitate (the game and competition evolves anyway and is not standing still) but both Rijkaard and Guardiola are as far as football is concerned shaped by the same umbrella - at least to a very large extent.

I agree too that some key differences exist between the style of the Rijkaard team and Guardiola era but seen from a further distance the things they had in common are also visible (compared with, say, Robson his Barcelona team).
    I'm now repeating myself but the level of success Barcelona has achieved in the past 25 years is obvious just as the interlude when the same vision was not widely shared in the club.

I'm btw now reading Phil Ball his book about Real Madrid (Ball himself is obviously a Real Madrid fan). His account about the four consecutive La Liga titles by the 'Dream Team' is funny; he writes how jealous Real Madrid was and felt that they had a "divine right to kingship" (sic), and the only one entitled in Spain to achieve such domestic streaks. :p
    A prelude of what was about to follow!

25. RoyOfTheRovers

Jul 24, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

[It's all in the name lads (& lasses): George B-E-S-T... :D!!]