[merged] Where is our apology, Sepp? Fifa apologizes to England and Mexico

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Lurko, Jun 29, 2010.

1. Lurko

Lurko Member

Aug 31, 1999
    DC area
    Nice to see that when the "big guys" get screwed, Sepp steps all over himself to apologize. I guess he missed the USA vs. Slovenia and USA vs. Algeria games.

2. WraithXx

WraithXx Member

Jun 14, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Where is our apology, Sepp?

there's a reason why you saw Bill Clinton sitting alone during a stretch of the Algeria game... hint: he wasn't alone, Sepp was just out of the camera's view...

3. Lurko

Lurko Member

Aug 31, 1999
    DC area

Yeah, I saw him there. I was just squishing my sour grapes about our great injustices!

4. Globalusation

Globalusation New Member

May 17, 2006
    NY

to be fair the two calls he apologized for were far more atrocious than ours

But this isn't him being genuine, this is simply to appease the media firestorm the same way they promised to discuss the Ireland-France game at their little meeting. Guess what....nothing changed just like nothing will change here.
    They have no intention of changing anything.

5. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Sepptic Bladder calculates [probably correctly] that there is no profit in apologizing to the USA.

6. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The non-called goal was worse. But Edu's being nullified was a more grotesque [and willful] 'blunder' than the non-offside call against Argentina.

7. Globalusation

Globalusation New Member

May 17, 2006
    NY

FIFA can't apologize for a call we never got an explanation for. And anyways those calls didn't result in our elimination from the tournament.

8. nam207

nam207 Member

Jun 12, 2010
    FIFA apologizes to England and Mexico...

for referee's error, but not the U.S and others. I guess it's because it's the first round it's not important, or because the U.S is top the group the referee's error doesn't matter anymore, or because England has more reps than other countries that could used for someone else next time?

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/30/sports/soccer/30ref.html?src=mv

9. big4soccer17

big4soccer17 Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Re: FIFA apologizes to England and Mexico...

pretty classles from Blatter aint it?

10. Wessoman

Wessoman Member+

Sep 26, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Really now?

Had the US beaten Slovenija as it did, the US would have needed just a draw to go through in any scenario. The US wouldn't have needed to play such a high pressure, emotional game against Algeria. The US would have simply knocked the ball around with Algeria, leaving the USA fresh and fit for the match against Ghana.

50% of why we lost against Ghana was the fact that our guys were gassed from playing 270 minutes of high-intensity football. The other 50% was Bob Bradley.

11. nam207

nam207 Member

Jun 12, 2010

That's not a point, the point is to responsible for the mistake, using your logic, why would Sepp bother to apologize anyway since Mexico and England lost by 2 more goals?

12. salsa_caliente

salsa_caliente New Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Earlier this morning, this was posted on the official FIFA twitter account (FIFAcom):

:rolleyes:

I agree that those two non-calls, at least Lampard's goal (I personally think Tevez robbed Messi of a goal on that non-called offside), were worse than ours. However, bad referee or not, neither England or Mexico deserved or earned a win. We may have hurt ourselves against Slovenia, but we earned that win.

But, really, how do we expect FIFA to fix this problem if they forget entire countries?

13. JuanPeron

JuanPeron Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    St. Vincent and the Grenadines

That was posted at 11:54 am ET. The match was going into extra time at that point.

Two different situations. He was right to apologize to England and Mexico. The US-Slovenia was a bad call but fouls are very hit and miss depending on the referee, offsides and the ball crossing the line aren't.

14. salsa_caliente

salsa_caliente New Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I know. My point was that they apparently don't count games that include the US.

15. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

I want an apology for poor scheduling. 2 days rest for World cup matches for US and Ghana. and 3 days for other countries.

16. polska26

polska26 Member

Feb 20, 2008

he has nothing to apologize for if we won that game we still would of played Ghana in round of 16 like we did. that call cost us nothing in the end

17. tio_sam

tio_sam Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Chicago, Illinois, United States
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

FIFA owes many teams apology and if anything we deserve an apology over Mexico. First of all, we got TWO good goals called back.We almost didn't qualify for the round of 16 especially when they called back a good goal from dempsey against algeria. We should have waltzed into the round of 16 with 7 points instead our players needed a miracle in the dying minutes. This was so emotionally draining 1 could argue that this was a huge reason that the US came out flat. This also probably influenced Bob to use his stupid "fresh legs" approach and put in Ricardo Clark who gave the game to ghana in the opening minutes.

18. giffenbone

giffenbone Member

Jan 22, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
  19. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
  20. convergecrew

convergecrew New Member

Jan 17, 2007
    Los Angeles
    I dont need an apology from Sepp as long as he makes female soccer players wear shorter shorts.

21. Grumpy in LA

Grumpy in LA Bringing It Since 1807™

Sep 10, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Hell, even without a Slovenia win, if the ref had given Dempsey his goal in the Algeria game, we could've saved 60 minutes of desperation.

22. MeastFootball

MeastFootball New Member

Sep 2, 2009
    Virginia
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hate Sepp Bladder! This guy is corrupt, and know he shows that he is a straight up douche.

The Mexico and England calls might have been worse than the US's but everyone knew Mexico and England had no chance before the start of the game, and the final scorelines show that. Even if they weren't screwed over by these calls, they weren't going to win.

23. Wessoman

Wessoman Member+

Sep 26, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Exactly. My contention being is that if those goals were allowed, the final game against Algeria would not have been the physically draining game it was. Algeria would have a point and would need to beat the USA by 3 goals. Either Algeria would have played open, which would have went the USA's way real quickly, or played again for a draw, which we would have taken. Either way, our boys would not have been nearly so gassed against Ghana.

24. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    I'm not sure about that, but if he can get countries to field womens teams made up of models with body paint uniforms, then I'm right with you.

25. Nermalthecat

Nermalthecat Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Avon, CT

Dempsey's goal against Algeria was waived off for an erroneous offside call where all of the action on the play occurred in a one-yard-wide visual window in front of the linesman. If anything, that was a WORSE mistake than the Tevez goal, which at least required the linesman to look in two different spots (and, because he was out of position, miss the call).

At least Coulibaly can claim (or not say anything) that there was a foul. That is his judgment, even though his judgment was shown to be highly suspect. The offside call in the Algeria game was pathetic. Linesman was staring right at the ball, the last defender and Dempsey, who should have been DIRECTLY BEHIND the defender from the linesman's viewpoint when Gomez shot, and he still botched it.