Meredith Beard takes a leave of absence

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by FearM9, Aug 22, 2002.

1. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado
    Christ Oddball, you want to generalize about men a little more?

If I had a brother I desperately wanted to be Best Man at my wedding and I knew his career contained a crucial three week period that could possibly jeopardize his attendance during that time, I wouldn't be stupid enough to schedule the wedding during that timeframe. Meredith is a pro soccer player and was one over a year ago, her sister knew that and the approximate crunch time of the WUSA season.

I think Meredith basically gave up her spot on the roster to attend her sister's wedding, I agree with Andy that her teammates may not be too welcoming next season...

2. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    While I generally agree with what Ron and Andy are saying here, I still believe that there was little reason for Meredith to sit on the bench. The wedding was probably scheduled 12-18 months in advance and anyone prediciting that Meredith would still be on the Freedom and the Freedom would be in the championship game on that date, should be out picking lottery numbers.

As for the chance of her getting in the game, here are the dates and minutes she has played.

4/21 14
    4/27 19
    5/26 21
    6/22 12
    7/27 18

We may have preferred her over Milburn in this game but I doubt Jim was going to make that move.

3. Oddball#34

Oddball#34 New Member

Mar 6, 2002
    Apex, NC
    sorry

Not trying to generalize men, but most men don't understand what goes in to planning a wedding. In a traditional wedding a majority of the planning and financial burden of the wedding is on the bride and her family. I know Meredith, and know after last season she would have loved to been at that game, but also know that the schedules were not released until late january. The Courage schedule was not released until January 28 to be exact.

I am sure Meredith informed the Freedom when she was signed of the fact if they made it to the Founder's Cup she would not be there due to the family obligation.

4. GoFreedom

GoFreedom New Member

Mar 24, 2002
    The girl made probably one of the hardest decisons that a person could have to make. The whole team, the staff, and the league supported the decison. The staff even told her that the wedding was more important. She did not just tell them she was leaving, she asked and they said the wedding was the right choice. I am sure that if Meredith was a regular, either she would have stayed on her own, or Gabarra probably would not have released her. She did not even make the travel roster for the semi.

If that "doesn't sit well" with some of you, then you obviously don't understand the bond that sisters share. Hopefully, a wedding is a once in a lifetime event. This league may not even make it to 03.

If this decison bothers some you "fans" then don't bother cheering for her when she is still on the roster next year.

5. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Take the sexist stuff somewhere else. I definitely understand the bonds of family. To assume that men don't have the same bonds as "sisters" is assinine.

She made a very tough decision. One that was likely entirely correct for her to make. I'm not saying she made a mistake. I'm only saying that there will be professional ramifications resulting from it. For her, family comes before team. There is nothing "wrong" with that. However, she will be perceived in a different light than those that place team before family.

It's not "right" or "wrong". It merely just is.

The world is not black and white. It is shades of gray. Women don't have a monopoly on tight bonds. Please take that crap somewhere else. I understand completely. I also sympathize.

But to blithely assert that there will be no fallout from the decision whatsoever is, in my opinion (and that's all it is, an opinion) rather naive. She was not there, suffering the pain and anguish with her "sisters" on the team, watching the Courage hoist the Cup. She was off celebrating and partying with friends and family.

She is a good soccer player. A potentially great one. There are some sacrifices she obviously won't make. And there is nothing wrong with that.

Please stop with the "sisters" crap, take your prejudice elsewhere.

As far as me personally. I don't have a problem with her choice. She's not on the team I support. I respect the tough decisions that people make. However, I will completely understand folks who choose not to cheer for her, too.

Hey, no harm, no foul. I'm not here to make enemies. Don't paint me with the "insensitive male" brush, and I won't pull out my paintbrush either.

6. GoFreedom

GoFreedom New Member

Mar 24, 2002
    I am not saying you are insensitive, I just disagree with you that there will be professional ramifications. If they released her to go to the wedding and the coach and management agree, then I don't forsee any grudges. Like you say these are professionals, the teamates may be more apt to be supportive of such a tought decision. From what I gather, Meredith is a very popular player among her teamates, and I think if she keeps playing well, her play alone will dictate whether or not she is on the team.

Thats it, my apologies if anyone was offended