Mercado de Pases 2017 (River Plate TRANSFER News)

Discussion in 'River Plate' started by locoxriver, Jan 5, 2017.

1. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    New year, new thread..

In

- Walter Montoya from Rosario Central?? (Valued at approx. $6 million)
    - Alejandro "Chori" Dominguez from Olympiakos (GRE)?? (6 months remaining on current contract)
    - Diego Polenta from Nacional (URU)?? (Valued at approx. $3 million for 50%)

Out
    - Abel Casquete has joined Barcelona (ECU) on loan.
    - River have sold the remainder of their rights of Guido Rodriguez's transfer to Tijuana (MEX). In total, the operation has left $1,500,000 for the club.
    - Promising youngster Federico Lavallen has left on a free transfer to Atlas (MEX).
    - Nicolas Domingo to Independiente??
    - Camilo Mayada to Flamengo (BRA) or Peñarol (URU)??
    - Sebastian Driussi to Spartak Moscow (RUS)??

Other
    - Former Gimnasia (LP) and San Lorenzo midfielder Alan Ruiz has been offered by Sporting (POR).

- Augusto Solari did not show up to the first day of training and his future is unknown. Estudiantes attempted to renew his loan, but River's intention is to sell the winger.

- PSG's president confirmed that they will not be buying Lucas Alario. Everything seems to indicate that the former Colon forward will remain at River for atleast 6 more months, if not til the end of the year.

- Arturo Mina is considered "transferable", but there are no concrete offers at the moment. A few South American clubs have inquired about the centerback, but movement has been slow since River is attempting to recover the $2,300,000 they paid just 6 months ago for the Ecuadorian international. His exit is vital to Polenta's possible arrival, since a foreigner spot must be freed before negotiations can begin for the Uruguayan

- Ariel Rojas has offered his services after being transfer listed by Cruz Azul (MEX). For now, however, River has not expressed any interest and D'Onofrio even publicly questioned the method in which Rojas chose to express his desire to return.

- Former Velez Sarsfield midfielder Agustin Allione has been offered on loan by Palmeiras (BRA).

- 20-year-old defender Leandro Vega could have his loan terminated with Newell's, as he has yet to play a single minute in the 6 months he's been there. If he leaves Rosario, however, he must find a new club to join on loan since he would count as one of our two reinforcements since his loan would be cut 6 months early. Kind of a shame, because we could really use him for the LB/CB positions.

megamac20817 and RiverGaucho repped this.
  2. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Its so absurd first of all that the clubs are only allowed 2 reinforcements. Its even more ridiculous that if a player returns early from a loan, it counts as one of the 2 signings. Its really beyond stupidity from the AFA

We know a lot of clubs are in deep financial trouble and have debts with their players, in especially Gimnasia and Newell's, but the solution to this is simple: if you have a debt with your squad, you can't sign new players. There is no reason why River or any of the other clubs who actually are up to date with payment of salaries should be punished, especially those clubs playing Libertadores

That being said, even though we're allowed just 2 signings, it doesn't look like anyone is remotely close to joining and we will be departing for the preseason tournament in the US on Sunday without any new players. Typical

3. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Benfica interested in Tomas Andrade

I know a lot of bs humo gets thrown around in the off-season, but this doesnt surprise me at all since Benfica is known for consistently buying young South American talent

RiverGaucho repped this.
  4. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Independiente and Racing after Alexander Barboza Ullua (currently on loan with Defensa y Justicia)

His loan could be terminated 6 months early for the transaction to go through. Independiente would be closer to acquiring him because of the player's relationship with Holan (who coached him in DyJ), but for now the clubs are negotiating a possible transfer fee

RiverGaucho repped this.
  5. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    It looks like Gallardo has rejected Ariel Rojas's return. Probably wasn't a priority considering we have a 2 player cap for reinforcements.

Leandro Vega could move to Godoy Cruz on loan, terminating his link with Newell's early.

Olimpia (PAR) insist for Arturo Mina, but for now refuse to pay the transfer fee River demands.

Augusto Solari could be heading to Mexico

6. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    #6 RiverGaucho, Jan 8, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
    Thanks for the updates loco. I don't believe there is any chance of Andrade moving to Benfica now. He is a very frustrating player. He has no goals and I don't recall any assists of note either. I like the player, but so far I feel he has been had more memorable "near misses" than any memorable plays. I don't doubt Benfica has an eye on him, but I seriously doubt they have any intention of making a move for him until he learns to finish some plays.

I'm gad Rojas is not coming back. I don't forgive him for the penalties he gave away, nor for walking away in the middle of the Libertadores. Teo did the same thing, but he left River 3.5 million dollars for his transfer. Sanchez also left for free, but he not only stayed for the Libertadores, but for the Club World Cup. Kranevitter negotiated his loan to stay for the club world cup. Rojas left without thinking about the club and only wants to come back because he failed in mexico. Let him bounce around the Liga MX or end up back Godoy Cruz but I want him far from River.

We shouldn't let Barbosa go to Independiente. He is a good player and will be very useful. We should leave him in Defensa these next 6 months, then bring him back in June. Remember the Libertadores is a year long so we will need to reinforce the team heavily after the group stage and as we learned this semester, you can never have enough Center backs.

7. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Colombian midfielder Macnelly Torres has supposedly been offered to River. If the club wants to move through with the transaction, they'll have to pay approximately $3,000,000 for the 32-year-old international.

I remember him shining with Cucuta in the 2007 Libertadores, and more recently with Atletico Nacional in last year's edition of the cup. Clearly a very talented player with plenty of conditions.

However, it's still an elevated price for a player of his age. Like I always say, it's better the club invest money on reinforcements instead of pocketing it, but maybe there are some better alternatives in the market for that price. Still, wouldn't mind him joining at all.

RiverGaucho repped this.
  8. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    #8 RiverGaucho, Jan 9, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
    Honestly this would be the kind of signing I would actually get excited about. A player with conditions who is proven at a very high level, in Libertadores and with Colombia National Team, and most of all, he is a player with pausa, a player with a brain- something we don't have in the squad with D'Alessandro's exit.

I don't think 32 is that old for his position either. D'Alessandro is 4 years older, and while he didn't do that well with River, it wasn't his age that was holding him back, it was just lack form and the team as a whole not clicking. In moments, he was very good, especially in the first half of the year in the Libertadores, and Mancelly might not be as good, but he certainly is a better option than Pity Martinez being given the keys to the team. We have no one in the squad with his characteristics.

When you think that Rosario Central wants double this price for Montoya, a player who is not much of an improvement over Mayada (thats if he is an improvement at all), I would do this deal. The issue is getting rid of a foreigner- though I heard the AFA wants to get rid of this 4 cupos business, meaning that all MERCOSUR players (Uruguay, Paraguay and Brazil) wouldn't count as foreigners. So that means River would still have Mina counting as a foreigner, but Moreira, Alonso, and Mayada would not.

The origin of the foreigner rule comes from the year 1995 when Deportivo Mandiyú would regularly feature 9 or 10 foreigners in the starting XI. These would be Paraguayans (Mandiyu is in the Misiones Province, on the boarder with Paraguay) and Uruguayans. This then caused the AFA to implement the limit on foreigners (the Mercosur did not exist in that era) Obviously this one a one off situation because of the proximity of Mandiyu to Paraguay. The AFA would do well to change this rule. It is still up for debate, but maybe they could say each team is allowed 5 mercusur players and then 3 non mercusur players. This is obviously keeping in mind that it is almost impossible to see a European player playing in Argentina so the only "non mercosur" foreigners who would play here would be Colombians, Ecuadorians, Chileans, and Peruvians, and on the rare occasion an african (there are a few nigerians at Talleres, and Huracan has a Cameroonian now)

River is an Argentine club and I would never want to see us pulling a Mandiyu with 10 foreigners in the starting line up, but this foreigner rule goes complete against the laws of the MERCOSUR...

locoxriver repped this.
  9. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Looks like River submitted a $4,800,000 offer for Walter Montoya, awaiting a response from Rosario Central, who originally wanted $6,000,000 after taxes.

The difference with Macnelly Torres's case is that River could potentially recover this investment, if not profit from it. The Colombian, on the other hand, would be very hard to resell for a decent value due to his advanced age.

Additionally, Montoya is more of a traditional winger -- a position Gallardo hasn't replaced since Carlos Sanchez's exit. there's also the foreigner slot factor that places Torres at a disadvantage.

We'll see if this goes through or not (Central has a strong preference to sell him abroad), but at least River has taken the first step. The positive is that the player himself wants to play in Nuñez

10. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Its not that I dislike Montoya, but the amount of money we're talking about is just so massive. It would be one of the most expensive transfer fees River has ever paid, and for a player that didn't exactly light it up in Rosario. If there is any player that I'd pay over 6 million dollars for, it would be Marco Ruben, who is obviously a different position and he already failed at River years ago, but he has been the best goalscorer in Argentina over the past 2 and a half years. I would also have paid that much for Lo Celso or Cervi had they not gone to Europe, but Montoya is clearly a different level of player than those three. I know we're comparing different positions, but I don't see the value in this for Montoya.

The other issue I have with this is that with all the players that have left, and may leave, our directors say, "we can't compete with the foreign markets, if an offer comes and the player wants to leave, theres nothing we can do" yet all the sudden, we have 5-6 million dollars to pay for an unproven player from Rosario Central who's never played for the national team, not even at youth level?

Not only are we overpaying for the player, but we are overpaying his release clause by 800 grand, if we reach their asking price, its going to be over 2 million over. If you go to buy a car that you know is worth 30 grand, and the dealer tells you he won't sell it to you for less than 40, you walk away.

The two million dollars we're overpaying for Montoya could be used to guarantee the continuity of both Driussi and Alario for another year. If we sign Montoya, but Alario leaves in June, would anyone still think we had a chance to win the Libertadores? (Remember its a year long this time)

Its just frustrating that we see our directors overpaying for players, yet you know if an offer arrived for Alario they'd break out the same rhetoric of being unable to compete, yet if they need to sign a player, even if he's injured or unproven, theres always money lying around...

locoxriver repped this.
  11. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Well if you want to see it in a positive light, Fernando Belluschi arrived in similar terms -- 23 year old right winger from Rosario with no NT experience, even at youth level. His transfer fee of $5+ million was also questioned by many at the time.

In the end, though, he tore it up in River and left for a superior fee 2 years later.

You could argue that Belluschi was already a superior player at Newell's than Montoya is at Central, but on paper the two cases are very similar.

I agree, though, that it's frustrating that this money magically disappears when its time to renew contracts or retain players. However, don't think that if it isn't spent on reinforcements it'll be used elsewhere... It's either new players or new yachts for the dirigentes.

12. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Racing is the latest team added to the ever-growing list of teams interested in Camilo Mayada. I'm still waiting on the day Gallardo gives him a run in his natural position as a right winger. Hopefully he doesn't leave, because I feel he would be a star wherever he goes

RiverGaucho repped this.
  13. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  14. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    River is going to submit one last offer to Central for Walter Montoya, and if they reject it they're just going to move on to another player.

Montoya's agent is also pushing for this to go through, stating that they can't keep on dragging this longer and that the player himself has already reached an agreement with River regarding a hypothetical contract. He also stated that River's offer is great and that they will give Central a time limit to decide before Monday.

The Rosario side, meanwhile, keeps delaying negotiations in hope that a foreign side will step in so they can avoid selling him in the local market. Genoa is rumored to be interested, but there is yet to be any formal contact

RiverGaucho repped this.
  15. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    #15 RiverGaucho, Jan 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
    I don't believe that Genoa is really interested. I think its just humo from Rosario and/or Montoya's agent to get D'Onofrio to put more money on the table. Genoa already has various players in his position, the Uruguayan Laxalt and even Ocampos is often deployed out wide on the right. Both are far better players. You could say that Genoa took a chance on Gio Simeone who was unproven, why not Montoya, but Simeone's last name careers so much weight, especially in Italy where his dad is an absolute idol with Lazio and Inter. Theres also the issue that Simeone is a European citizen, both through his Italian heritage and he was born in Spain when his dad was playing at Atletico. Montoya doesn't have a European passport which mean he counts as a foreigner, and I doubt Genoa would take a risk on someone like him as a foreign spot. Most of these European clubs prefer Africans when it comes to the non EU spots, not Argentines, especially since many Argentines can indeed get European citizenship through ancestry, be it Italian, Spanish, or Eastern European (Dybala is a Polish citizen, for example) This is why Vangioni went to Milan. He has an Italian passport so he counts an Italian and even though he doesn't play, he's not taking up a foreigner spot

Another option is Bellucshi who's contract expires in June at CASLA and doesn't seem to want to renew. Why not take a shot at him? He is much older (33), but he is coming off an excellent semester and we know he won't feel the pressure of the shirt. 33 is not that old for his position, especially since he arrives in plenitude, even called up recently for the national team, unlike Lucho Gonzalez who was semi retired playing in Qatar. See if we can get him for cheap now, and if not, then make him a priority for the next transfer window when we have no limit on reinforcements

Our goal should really be to just make it out of the group then strengthen the team in June when we establish ourselves as one of the favorites for the Libertadores. The key is to just hold on to Alario and Driussi, make one or two key signings, then make a really strong team in June

16. megamac20817

megamac20817 Member+

Jul 9, 2005
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The Montoya saga is infuriating, and a perfect example of the horrible attitudes so pervasive in Argentine football. River offered more than his release clause, and Central is still refusing to even recognize that it's a good offer. For f***'s sake, they want more than his release clause in addition to a future percentage of his transfer and a percentage of a player that has nothing to do with the operation.

If this falls through, River should start treating the other clubs in the country like they deserve: offer enough to activate the transfer clause and punt the ball to the player's court. Montoya could put an end to all of this by saying "I accept their offer" and it's the end of the saga, but he's not doing that, either.

locoxriver repped this.
  17. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Like I said:

http://www.ole.com.ar/rosario-central/monto-equivocado_0_1723027793.html

Montoya is not a priority for Genoa as they are trying to buy a Zimbabwean player to fill their non EU spot. They would only offer 2 million euros if they do indeed turn their attention to montoya, which is just a little more than 2 million dollars, so River is offering not only more than his release clause, but triple what Genoa values him (and he's not even a priority for them, he's rated below some Zimbabwean playing for a mid table club in Holland)

Seriously, D'Onofrio and Gallardo need to get their heads out of their asses and just close this door. Then see what the rosarinos do next when they have an unhappy player and no "huge offer" from Europe like they are claiming.

locoxriver repped this.
  18. megamac20817

megamac20817 Member+

Jul 9, 2005
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Man, **** Central.

RiverGaucho and locoxriver repped this.
  19. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Walter Montoya's agent regarding River's offer

"La propuesta que le hizo River a Central es de fútbol europeo, no estaba en la economía de Boca. Nosotros siempre respetamos a los ideales de la dirigencia de Central, pero hoy por hoy River presentó sobre la mesa una oferta que es a nivel internacional y no la podés desestimar tan fácilmente", sostuvo Daniel Luzzi, en diálogo con Radio Rivadavia. “Walter ya habló con los dirigentes de su idea de cambiar de aire... Yo calculo que antes del fin de semana se tiene que tomar una decisión porque Walter quiere saber dónde va a jugar. Los tiempos se van acortando."

megamac20817 repped this.
  20. megamac20817

megamac20817 Member+

Jul 9, 2005
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Y mientras tanto los pelotudos de Central siguen diciendo que la oferta de River "es la peor de las tres" :rolleyes:

Se ve que quedaron dolidos...

21. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    So after Denis Rodriguez' really unfortunate injury last night, it seems like the directors are finally waking up and realize we need players. There is going to be a summit between D'Onofrio, Francescoli, and Gallardo tonight in Orlando to put some names on the table. My word, this should have been done the 20th of december, not 20th of January.

The whole Montoya or no one idea was just horrible. Firstly, I don't think Montoya is that good. Secondly, we need another player who has a footballing brain and can hold onto the ball. I know our backups played and its only a friendly, but the first half of the Sao Paulo game was disgraceful. And they aren't even playing the Libertadores- the top brazilian clubs like Corinthians, Atletico Mineiro, Flamengo, or Gremio- with whom we'll be competing for the title- will have much, much more to offer. Last night I'd say not one of Medina, Rossi, Andrade or Montiel were up for the match. I know it was just a friendly, but these 4 players showed a shockingly poor level, and Mayada was also poor, but I think he suffered from those surrounding him.

Now, I'd say we need an attacking midfielder, I don't care if its an enganche to be a direct replacement for D'Alessandro, like Macnelly, or a typical Argentina #8 like Carlos Sanchez, but we need someone with quality to come in. Then we need another defender. Lollo is supposed to be back mid February, but who knows. He was supposed to be back mid september and he still hasn't made his debut.

22. balazsriver10

balazsriver10 Member

May 23, 2013
    Debrecen
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Hungary
    RiverGaucho repped this.
  23. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    He was interesting in Belgrano.. I didn't really follow him after he left to Independiente, but I figured he fell off since I never again really heard from him.

Apparently ex-Boca Guillermo "Pol" Fernandez (currently at Godoy Cruz) is also an alternative to Montoya now.... no thank you

Ron Mexico repped this.
  24. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I like Rigoni but I feel we are going to run into the same problem again. Teams in Argentina aren't going to sell to us without it becoming some novel like Montoya... Especially Independiente who is in a crisis, many fans re not happy with Holan as coach and they just got their asses whipped by Racing, the last thing to do to appease the fans is to sell a player to a direct rival

As for "Pol" Fernandez definitely agree, no thank you. Wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole

25. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Apparently River is making moves for Carlos Auzqui of Estudiantes. I am hearing that Augusto Solari could be used in the deal and that River is looking to offer 2.8 million plus Solari for 50% of the player. This seems to be quite a bit, but then again its par for the course. Considering Solari is not in Gallardo's plans, why not? Like we often say on this forum, its not our money, better spend it that have it lining Francescoli and D'Onofrio pockets.

Auzqui may not be a big name, but I like him. He's a midfielder with goal who actually arrives in the area, something we didn't have last semester, since literally all of our goals came from Alario and Driussi. He comes from Estudiantes which is a club that always has a winning attitude and the last time we bought a players from them it worked out pretty well for us (Mercado)

megamac20817 and Ron Mexico repped this.