Meola Thread ("It's the second worst move in MetroStars history", etc.

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by MetroFever, Nov 16, 2004.

1. Arisrules

Arisrules Member

Feb 19, 2000
    Washington, DC
    Re: Fat Tony: "It's the second worst move in MetroStars history"

Guys are we forgetting whom we got in return for Tony and that moron Lalas (how is this guy the 'Quakes GM?). We got Chung, who was one of my favorite players, super guy, and Amman. Amman was a freaking stud. We had to trade him (to keep Howard of course, I remember all the debates we had as to whom we should keep...).

As for Petke...I coudl care less.

2. Metros Striker10

Metros Striker10 New Member

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth

I unfortunately really wasn't around when Meola was in charge....but when I started following the team after WC '98...Tony and Gio are the only guys who I remember from the very first game I watched. I knew about Lalas. Didn't see him or Ramos in that game (it was a loss to the Crew...on the road I believe). I was disappointed when both Meola and Lalas even though I didn't really know how good they were. To me, I assumed they were great players since they were WC players. I kinda gave Ammann the benefit of the doubt since he played in England (did some research after the trade) and Chungy I didn't know about. Would I do the trade again? Probably, if I were to know that Timmy would be the end result of it. If you think about it, hadn't Meola been around, maybe Timmy wouldn't be a Red Devil. He always refers to Meola and Meola was the guy who recommended him to play for Man U.

On the previous post about Zavagain playing in the Lehigh Valley, he played for the Allentown Steam. This team doesn't exist anymore.

3. Metros Back Office

Metros Back Office New Member

Oct 9, 2001
    Tony Meola Thread ("second worst trade ever"...etc.)

Not a [r] yet but it sure would be in the "nick" line of thinking. "Yeah.. People liked Meola.. he was on Leno... Lets grab him for goal!"

4. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Re: We get Meola.

That's gonna be awkward, especially with all the abuse we hurled at hime the last few years....

5. HotAssAlex

HotAssAlex New Member

Jan 20, 2004
    Staten Island, NY

He'll forgive us, trust me. Where else can u find millions of Italian restaurants beside New York??? I'm sure he is looking forward to come bak

6. Red Star

Red Star Member

Jan 10, 2002
    Fayetteville, AR

Italy?

7. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton

Tony Meola over Johnny Walker? How exciting...

8. metros11

metros11 Member

Sep 11, 1999
    Highlands of NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I wouldn't mind getting him. He's an excellent keeper, always has been. And he's a home grown talent.

9. HotAssAlex

HotAssAlex New Member

Jan 20, 2004
    Staten Island, NY

if he stays healthy 99% of the time and got fuel to go for 2-3 more seasons, very very exciting. The guy can scream! and make defense his own

(Johnny dont get mad i still luv you)

10. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

yet he costs 100K more.

that could be used elsewhere.

11. Zamphyr

Zamphyr Member

Mar 31, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

But will he try out for the Jets again ?

12. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Will he again play on Broadway in Tony and Tina's Wedding? Anyway, it's good to have the fat ba&turd back!

13. Shaydee

Shaydee Member

Apr 8, 2002
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

we have to get someone good because there is no way johnny is coming back with all the disrespect shown to him by nick

14. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC

Threads merged and misleading title (we get meola) changed.

PS> No need to be a dork and draw attention to yourself. Until we actually obtain him, try to keep the titles on point.

15. I am Joe²

I am Joe² New Member

Jan 10, 2001
    Jersey
    It would be very exciting to get Meola back, I'd take him over Walker anyday. As long as the fat bastard stays healthy

16. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Possibly, the Hitmen are out of business.

Hitmen?!?!?!

17. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

don't be dissin on my boy Bret Hart

;)

18. viper

viper New Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Paramus, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I can think of a few others that would come in ahead of that one, like:

Picking Damien Silvera as an Allocation player in 1996

Picking Matt Knowles as their first pick in the 1996 draft

Picking Steve Shak in the 2000 draft

Giving up on Jaime Moreno

And So on, And So on, And So on...

19. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL

Off-B'way, guys, keep it real. But, yeah, it's good to have hm back. I just worry that Johnny will be raising the MLS Cup for Chivas next year.

20. Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess Member

Jan 6, 2000
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, we'll give up a #1 draft pik we don't have yet for Tony then trade Walker to Chivas for some unkown future considerations we will never get as they go under. Could it happen???

21. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    I can't believe that they actually want this guy back. What fan misses the days when he would berate his own defenders? Not only that, why take on his salary cap.

Makes no sense whatsoever that they're pursuing this.

http://www.nj.com/metrostars/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1101796554199140.xml

MetroStars general manager Nick Sakiewicz confirmed yesterday that he has spoken with Wizards GM Curt Johnson.

"(The conversation) was fairly in depth, but there is nothing on the table right now," Sakiewicz said. "A guy like Tony, we'd always have interest in. He's a great goalkeeper with a great pedigree, and he's a Jersey guy, but there's a lot to consider.

"I trained six or seven days prior to the final. I was ready to go," said Meola, who led the Wizards to the 2000 title when he won the league MVP award. "I've gotten a call from 80 percent of the guys on the team and they can't believe this can happen.

22. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Word around the league is that Meola's ego has worn out his welcome with yet another team. Regarded by some as an overbearing personality capable of souring a locker room, Meola was likely deemed expendable when it became clear that Kansas City was going to field a younger, more impressionable team in 2005. His complaints about his contract status two days before MLS Cup likely sealed his fate, although Gansler sounded like his mind was already made up.

http://www.bergen.com/page.php?qstr...lRUV5eTY2MTk1NTgmeXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk2

23. CbR

CbR Member

Nov 10, 2000
    Bergen County NJ
    NO NO NO NO NO NO NO,,,,,,nick wtf are u doing!?!?!?!??!!?!?

24. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No Meola, please!..... Apologize to Walker... Oh, wait, that's not the Nick we know know and love......
    Between Walker and Meola there is like a 100 K (and pounds) difference, which in a budget such as MLS's is something we could wisely use elsewhere.....

25. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    F them both in the A and start Wells. Chicago(Ring), Dallas(not Garlick), Kansas City(Bo O), and New England(Reis) all seemed to do well with their low budget keepers this past season..Given we are myred in the salary pit that is Sergio Galvan Rey I think we need to save our $$ and spend it on more useful prospects.