Meola on 810 tuesday Nov. 30.

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by rallen, Nov 30, 2004.

1. rallen

rallen New Member

Jun 5, 2003
    Shawnee, Ks
    I heard on my way to work that Tony was going to be on 810 this past morning. Did anybody listen. I know that they were talking about how he will probably not be back with the Wizards. And how he is one of the few recognizable faces of soccer.

2. dgb09

dgb09 Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Overland Park, KS
    That's basically what they talked about for 10 minutes. Mostly the hosts fixated on the Wizards front office being morons for dumping Meola. They were pretty harsh in their comments, mostly b/c Tony is a recognizable name in a sport that needs names to draw fans.

It was somewhat enlightening to hear Tony describe the meeting with Gansler. He walked in thinking 'this is the part of my career where they ask me to play for half the money I've been making.' And he was cool with that. He wants to be in KC playing for the Wizards and he'd take a pay cut to do so. Apparently there is a personality issue with Gansler and Meola.

Tony said that Curt Johnson stopped in for about five minutes. The meeting probably wasn't going well at that point, which is why it was so short. They asked him where he'd like to be traded. He's heard from one of those general managers soon after that meeting, but nothing since.

Tony plans to keep his family in KC whether or not he's traded. He mentioned that he would consider Europe if MLS doesn't keep him. Oh, he also said that Arena told him he was in the plans for 2006.

That was the gist of the interview.

I'm a bit concerned if Gansler is calling the shots on personnel. The track record is not that strong. He traded Preki for a two boxes of tape -- and later admitted the mistake. He also traded Henderson for Lassiter (who was only worth one box of tape at that point).

I'd just hate to see the Wizards go into 2005 relying on Bo as a starting keeper. He might be capable in terms of stopping shots, but his distribution skills are pathetic.

3. rallen

rallen New Member

Jun 5, 2003
    Shawnee, Ks
    Thanks for the review.

4. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that's really sad that Tony was willing to take a pay cut to be here, and the team didn't wanna hear any of it. Bob must be high on Bo being a good enough starter in this league or something.

I also wonder though how much if any of that "I was willing to take a paycut to stay here" talk was just him trying to get people on his side in this whole situation.

5. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    And if everyone knows that KC is dumping Meola, his trade value becomes negligible.

Yuck.

If he's willing to sign for half the money, sign him. I'm guessing he left out a "no trade" clause request.

6. Zman Gunner

Zman Gunner BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 7, 2003
    Middletown, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is there any chance that KC gets Henry Ring, Aidan Brown, or Jonny Walker (all are cheaper than Meola) to partner with Bo in the nets? I was at the Cup and Bo did not impress there but he seemed to give you some good results during the stretch run.

7. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dont follow the Wizards all that much but if Meola was ready to take the paycut to stay and still got the boot, that is a shame.

And you know, somewhere down the road, when it matters, the Wizards are going to run into Meola between the pipes and this sort of thing is going to be fresh in his mind. He is going to have the game of his life.

It always works out that way.

8. okcomputer

okcomputer Member

Jun 25, 2003
    dc
    sounds like Tony's ego got him in trouble again.

9. the_cyclones

the_cyclones New Member

Jul 26, 2004
    The Cauldron
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah, that's a good review.. I heard it this morning. Talked about the "kiss of death" from Gansler earlier in the seaosn... Basically Gansler telling Meola that as long as gansler was there Meola would be there. The same thing he supposedly told Vermes and McKeon. There was also a review on Kietzman's show...

10. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Actually, you're wrong. He has already played the "game of his life."

It's not a "shame" - it's "business."

Nice try, though.

11. SoccerNutScott

SoccerNutScott New Member

Feb 6, 2001
    Olathe, KS
    I was working out in rehab three days a week with klein and meola and I heard Meola mention one day that Gansler was questioning why he wasn't ready yet, and what are they doing for your rehab. He kind of had the feeling Gansler felt he should have been ready. I saw tony three days a week and he was absolutely working his a$$ off trying to get back but you could see he was in pain the whole time. There were things he couldn't do without pain. Wondering if that played a role in ganslers decision at all.

12. hartley

hartley Member

I think the injury thing might be at least part of the reason.

Think about it. Meola has injury and can't play. But then he sucks it up for the Open Cup Final. Then he's hurt again. Then sucks it up again for the MLS Cup Final. Makes it kind of seem like Tony only wanted to play the "important" games. Where was he for all those games in-between?

Now, if he wasn't ready, he wasn't ready. That's fine. But, you know, once we put Garcia back in the middle of the back line, then the GK's work was easier. I think Hesmer could have played some of those games and won. No offense to Bo intended. He is a very good shot stopper. Sometimes and in some way, he is better than Tony. But Tony still has much better distribution -- when he wants to do well.

During the first part of the season, we all complained about Tony's distribution too. He was off form in many games. He can still get it together for a big or important match, but I really do think he has passed his prime. And if he goes overseas, I don't see him starting for any premier league club.

I also wonder about Meola's so-called acceptance of a pay cut. If Tony has been working on this since last November, why didn't it get done sooner? What was the hold up? Money? Length of contract? Or personalities?

I would also agree with anyone that I don't think the club -- Gansler and Johnson -- handled this well. But I would also put some of the blame on Meola. A whole year of talking about it and nothing gets done? No agreements? No sacrifies? There seems to be more to this story than either side want to say.

Sorry to say, I would like to see someone a bit younger and bit taller between the pipes. Tony has been great for and to the team and pretty good in the community. But I won't miss his yelling from the back or his foul mouth [and yes I know he's not the only one with a foul mouth].

And actually, I think I would still rather have Tony has my backup. Hesmer needs more time and the reserves games next year will be good work for him. And yes, I would let Bo go. I could see Walker or Brown working well here. I don't like Ring. And I would still be interested in Greg Sutton of Montreal.

13. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would be surprised if you ever heard Meola say that he has already played the "game of his life". Maybe he has, maybe he hasn't. I dont think you can be so definitive until his career is over.

And correct, it is a business but if Meola came in there with a good faith offer to take a salary cut and it was just dismissed, I think it is a shame.

And was was I trying to do? I was just offering my opinion here. Neither right nor wrong.

14. Hexenmeister

Hexenmeister Member

Aug 9, 2000
    Kearney, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    If Meola really is leaving then I guess the ultimate question is, how good is Hesmer? Does Gansler see him as the starting goalkeeper of the future for this club? If so, how long before he's ready?

MLS has seen its fair share of 'keepers come out of nowhere and play extremely well. Will 2005 be Hesmer's year?

15. dig.palabra

dig.palabra New Member

Mar 5, 2000
    KCMO
    If Meola is willing to stay and take a pay cut, we should re-sign him. Between the expansion teams and roster increases, it is going to be a very tough year to find good, available players, and with Meola, we have a very good, very known talent that wants to be here and won't cost all that much.

-If it's a personality thing, then Gansler should get over it. (Is it possible that Gansler has some kind of post-MLS Cup ego that gives him too much confidence and drives him to make stupid decisions? -His worst trade moves ever came right after KC won the MLS Cup in 2000).

16. pblake

pblake New Member

Jun 11, 2000
    KC
    any time you stick two ego-maniacs in a room together, the one with more authority rises up and squashes the other.

17. hartley

hartley Member

The only reason this got on the air at 810 is because Meola is one of their buds. And he's a whiner.

The morning boys and KK only want to stir up something in relation to a Lamar Hunt team. Isn't it similar to how Peterson deals with players? Now Johnson and Gansler are doing it too. Whatever.

18. rudeboy

rudeboy Member

Jul 5, 2001
    Kansas City
    All I can say is Thank you to Tony for his years of service to this team and to this community. It has been a good couple of years, we enjoyed it and we will never forget you.

I believe it is time for new blood to be introduced between the sticks. Tony doesn't even attempt to stop the balls on PK's, has a hard time getting down to the ground for balls, and tends to blame others for goals he should have stopped. He has had a great run with us and I wish him the best, but like all relationships, sometimes they must come to an end.

19. Beech

Beech Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. staubio

staubio New Member

Nov 9, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Oshoniyi made his MLS debut in 1996 with the Columbus Crew and had stints with the defunct Tampa Bay Mutiny and the New England Revolution before going to Kansas."

ARGH! KANSAS CITY IS IN MISSOURI, DARN IT!