Meola could start in MLS Cup

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by Tyler66, Nov 11, 2004.

1. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A46502-2004Nov12.html

Meola isn't too happy:

2. Wile Coyote

Wile Coyote Red Card

Sep 21, 2000
    Punta del Este, Uru.
    Club:
    Club Nacional de Football
    I'm such a tony mela fan I would love to see him start only if he is 100%
    I dont think tony has match fitness and dont really know the extent of his injury.... I think Bob will do the right thing and let Bo have a go at it.. Tony was in goal for the US Open Cup let bo have his day if he is not fit.... Tony is a winner and wants to win.. I know for a fact he can really be quite the 12 man when he is not starting....just ask his team mates fom world cup 2002 ..

3. PezJunkie

PezJunkie Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Independence, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like I said, give it to Bo. I know that Meola is our best keeper and everything, but he hasn't played since the USOC Final and before that he hadn't played since I left for school in August I think. Bo is hot and is playing fantastic now, give him the start.

5. rallen

rallen New Member

Jun 5, 2003
    Shawnee, Ks
    Reading the Washington Post sports articles, it looks like DC United is playing the disrespect/overlooked angle for this game. I don't think either team has a huge advantage over the other. Overall I think that the momentum has to be on KC's side.

GO WIZARDS!!!!!!!! ONE MORE WIN FOR LAMAR!!!!!!!!!!

6. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    http://www.mlsnet.com/MLS/news/mls_news.jsp?ymd=20041112&content_id=18889&vkey=news_mls&fext=.jsp

"I understand the decision is not mine, and whatever the decision is, got to live with it," he said. "I expected to at least have some conversation by this time. But the three coaches haven't been able to stay far away enough from me for three days."

I'd feel bad for Tony if he had missed out on everything, but he already was in goal for the first cup, so he's still had a good year. This will be an interesting offseason to be sure. The expansion draft. Zavagnin gone? Garcia just a rumor? Who's our goalie in 05?

7. kckicker23

kckicker23 Member

Jun 10, 2003
    KC
    At this point, I'd say Bo has a great shot to be the play for goalie in '05. Go ahead and leave Meola unprotected, Bo has proven that he is an incredibly solid backup (even if he is aided by a great defense, those guys will still be there next year).

Therefore, leaving Meola unprotected leaves a guy like Guti, or Zotinca or
    Burciaga or Shavar (whoever would be the "odd-man-out" in the expan. draft) available to protect. And if Meola isn't picked, then we're great. If he is, we still have Bo and we can then protect another guy. I see Bo's play this end of season/post-season as a great benefit to not only our '04 team, but also '05 and beyond.

8. rallen

rallen New Member

Jun 5, 2003
    Shawnee, Ks
    I'll start thinking about 05 tomorrow. I'm so pumped for this game today.
    GO WIZARDS!!!!!!
    ONE MORE WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. Wizardscharter

Wizardscharter New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Blue Springs, MO
    I don't agree. Bo has proven that he can capably back up a Meola, etc. He's proven that he can't distribute. By "can't" I mean a complete inability to spark offense necessitating that KC work slowly from the back and simutainiously negating a strength (speed) of Davy and Wolff. Amazingly KC can overcome this and still be effective, but that isn't the point. Bo's also proven that pressure will define his game rather than Tony's proven ability to have his game rise to the level of the pressure.

Sigi Schmidt wrote a pointed article on mlsnet.com. He reminded everyone how KC looked dominant until two straight goal kicks out of bounds by Bo. This was followed by 40-some-odd unexplainable passes that KC put to either nobody, someone way to slow and timidly, or directly out of bounds. It's something we hadn't seen from KC more than once if ever all season. Tony's in net and many of the slow buildups from the back become a sprint down the wing. KC would have been able to play at a higher tempo and every midfield logistic changes. Whatever negligible advantage dc had is neutralized. Also, Esy may have scored anyway, but I would have liked to have seen Tony's positioning on all 3 goals. It would not have been surprising to see him touch any of the 3. Further I'd say there isn't any way Tony allows Zoti to be left uncovered on a throw back that close to goal. I have to think Tony is screaming his lungs out long before that directing traffic.

All this and please remember that OT still should have been played with KC up a man. DC may have netted a counter, but that was their only hope.

KC played their worst since maybe April. dc was marginal at best except for finishing. Bo takes the label as he was in net.