Meola could start in MLS Cup

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by Tyler66, Nov 11, 2004.

1. Tyler66

Tyler66 New Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Massachusetts
  2. B Kaiser

B Kaiser Member

Jun 26, 2003
    Liberty, MO/ Columbi
    I concur. Bo has shown us he's the right man for the job right now; plus, Tony would be playing cold. And to come back from an injury on THE cup game? No thanks...

Anyone reminded of the Rich Gannon/ Elvis Grbac fiasco?

3. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    The coaching staff wouldn't let Tony go if they didn't think he was healthy enough to be better than Bo. Even if Meola can't go, I want him preparing like he's got a chance to start to push Bo to be his best this week.

4. A_Bomb

A_Bomb New Member

Jul 13, 2004
    Lee's Summit
    I couldn't agree more. Bo should be the starting keeper no questions asked. I understand that Tony wants to play, but we are playing great without him. I don't think Bob should change anything with the lineup especially as spectacular as the team has played the last two games.

5. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    I think you guys should let Tony play. That way we can drag out our "near post" and "J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets" chants.

:D

Actually, Gansler would be INSANE to not start Bo on Sunday.

6. Beech

Beech Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bo should Go!

Besides Tony already trumped Bo once this year by getting the USOC championship game and then was hurt again immediately after again until this one. Although some of Bo's skills aren't as good as Tony's, he's hot right now and I think the Defense enjoys calling their own marks instead of getting screamed at by someone else. It's not like he's inexperienced he just doesn't have the resume' Tony has. Tony is still our #1 for next year if we and MLS renew his contract. Bo would bring us trade bait somewhere maybe.

7. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    No way should Tony start, unless Bo is hurt.

8. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Careful. To even HINT that Meola might start over Bo apparently automatically disqualifies you from being considered a Wizards fan.

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3414688#post3414688

:rolleyes:

(That being said, I evidently have some hat-eating to do.)

9. Mad_Bishop

Mad_Bishop Member

Oct 11, 2000
    Columbia, MO
    that would be the stupidest, most idiotic coaching decision made by Gansler as the Wizards head coach. And he's made plenty of decisions that have left me scratching my head.

10. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Agree, no way should Bo not start this game. Not only is he the hot keeper, I think he also deserves it after the way that he has played for us down the stretch this season.

11. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    Reasons why Meola should not start, no matter what...

1) Bo is hot. Meola hasn't played but one game in a very long time.
    2) Just a week ago he was "ready to go" and then came up lame just before the game. What happens if he doesn't come up lame until the 15th minute? Then we've just wasted a sub in a game (not just a game, but the most important game of the season) that could go 120 minutes.
    3) PKs, which might happen. Bo tries, Tony just kinda rolls to one side.
    4) You don't change keepers in the playoffs, even if the guy you're putting in is better. See: Colorado 2003. (Granted not the same situation, since Cannon was new to the team, but still similar)

12. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to MLSNET game notes, Meola is out. :( I guess we leave the donuts at home for this one. ;)

13. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
  14. Unorthodox Yank

Feb 27, 2001
    Constant Flux
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. Cause Rich Gannon was obviously good, and Elvis was one of the worst excuses for a starting quarterback I have ever seen.

15. Davy's#1Gal

Davy's#1Gal New Member

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Stick with Bo. He's hot right now. Besides, you know what they say...if it's not broke, don't fix it...

Any one else see a resemblence between Bo and the lead singer in Hootie and the Blowfish? All Bo needs is a goatee and some eyebrow work and he's Hootie!

16. rallen

rallen New Member

Jun 5, 2003
    Shawnee, Ks
    Bo Bo Bo Bo Bo Bo Bo Bo Bbbbbbbbbooooooooo

One More Win!!!!!
    Go Wizards!!!!!!!!!!

17. slarockk

slarockk New Member

Feb 19, 2001
    Southern California
    Gansler said in one of his quotes after the playoffs.....something like " coaches lose games and players win games out on the field"

I think if you tinker with something that is working and your GK is hot you leave him in. If Gansler sees any nerves, miscues, or hesitation in Bo the first half maybe you sub him out with Tony. I wouldn't try and give an injured player the nod in his first game back in the championship game unless that player is in better physical condition than the current starter.

Maybe you have a team vote?

18. IowaBoy

IowaBoy Member

Jul 23, 2003
    Des Moines
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've always thought Bo kinda resembles, Stuart Scott.

I might be crazy, though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BOOYEAH!
    [​IMG]

19. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Classic!

20. wadejackson1

wadejackson1 Member

Mar 11, 2001
    So, it seems EVERYONE is behind Bo. As it should be!!!

Now, lets move onto the bench.

Who will be sitting the pine at the start of the match?

21. staubio

staubio New Member

Nov 9, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good question. I would guess that these are all a given: Arnaud, Wolff, Gutierrez, Burciaga, Zavagnin, Garcia, Conrad, Thomas, Zotinca, Oshoniyi.

That leaves a midfield spot open. Who gets the nod? Jack, Igor, Khari?

Then again, I might not know what I'm talking about. :)

22. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Besides the fact that you only have 10 players there for starters. Shavar won't be starting, he hasn't started since the regular season ESPN game against San Jose, other then that you're pretty good. I would also figure on Igor not starting. I think he's been resigned to the role of bench spark for the rest of this season. Hopefully he works his ass off this offseason and comes back ready to go full 90s next season. I'd say Jack and Khari on there. The same lineup that started against LA

23. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    If he does play Khari, I would prefer to see him in the middle rather than pushing to the wing. He just doesn't have it out there. In the middle he seems more comfortable.

I would prefer Igor in there at the start, but I understand the logic of him on the bench as a spark late. Knowing Bob's conservative nature I expect Igor to be sub.

It will be interesting to see how Gansler tries to counter-act their 3-5-2, IIRC we haven't come up against a 3-5-2 much this season.

Getting outmatched by numbers (if not skill) in the midfield makes me nervous, but withdrawing a forward to help nullifies our attack too much. I can see Zotinca cheating up and helping the mids being quite effective.

BTW, a Zotinca vs Dema 50-50 challenge will be one for the ages :)

This is gonna be a tactical battle and I expect bothsides to start rather cautiously. An early goal will really open things up. But I expect this to a 1-0 match, I don't expect a ton of goals.

First goal wins. No predictions from me about which side gets it. I will say them idfield is key. If Diego and KZ can nullify their forays forward and spring Wolff and Arnaud. Then it's case if they can get an opening around Nelsen, who is an awesome defender.

On our side, Bo has to be in top form again. And we have to defend well on set pieces.

I am excited, nervous and can't wait to get off that plane on Sunday morning and head straight to HDC :)

24. staubio

staubio New Member

Nov 9, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I know I only had 10. I was trying to guess the "givens" and identify the variables.

Dunno what I was thinking with Shavar. Guess the ball gets cleared out of the backfield so fast I haven't been paying attention. Notice I still had Alex in there and mistakenly included Shavar as well. I must be playing FIFA Soccer 2005 too much and starting Shavar.

I agree, Igor comes off the bench for Khari in the second half. He has stepped into that "designated scorer" role nicely. Jack and Khari get the nod.