Meola Back for Some Metro - Home Cooking

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Northside Rovers, Jun 30, 2005.

1. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. the cup

the cup Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I like Meola too. I think his play in MLS Cup 2000 is still the best game by a gaolkeeper since the league began.

Maybe KC didn't get rid of him, maybe he could tell the KC ship is sinking and he wanted out.

3. lilepp6

lilepp6 New Member

May 9, 2005
    its nice seeing him back but i dont really get the move by the metros...i felt they already had a pretty sound keeper this season in Wells...buuuut maybe its just a way to help grow Wells with a proven vet like Meola...

i still dont see why columbus didnt make an offer for him...they've had some serious keeper issues this season....i guess Meola's asking price was a little much for them or something...

4. Tyler66

Tyler66 New Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Massachusetts
    How's our ship sinking? Also we couldn't re-sign him for the money he wanted.

5. the cup

the cup Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    It's hit the attendance iceburg and Meola jumped in to one of the few lifeboats.

6. jmatye

jmatye Member

May 14, 2000
    Kansas City, Missour
    Meola made it clear before the season that he wanted to re-sign with the Wizards. He's made his home in Kansas City and he has complained about not being made an offer by Wizards management. HSG is selling the team and its only interest right now is spending as little money as possible. Meola was a victim to that strategy, but in no way did Meola bail out.

7. McGinty

McGinty Member

SKC/STL
    Aug 29, 2001
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    First, the league pays his salary, not the Wizards so not signing him doesn't save HSG any cash. Second, the Wizards decided before the sale of the team not to re-sign him.

Still, you are right that Meola's initial preference was to stay with KC.

8. Tyler66

Tyler66 New Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Massachusetts
    Yes, but he wouldn't take a pay cut.

9. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately it was. It very well might have been the best game by an individual in this league since it's inception. Rat bastard Meola.

10. Saltenya94

Saltenya94 Member

Jul 29, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    DC United
    BREAKING NEWS: A day later, [Metro] completed a deal with the Crew that sends goalkeeper Jonny Walker to Columbus in exchange for a 2006 fourth-round supplemental draft pick.

http://www.mlsnet.com/MLS/news/mls_news.jsp?ymd=20050630&content_id=35114&vkey=news_mls&fext=.jsp