Men's D1 NCAA Tournament

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by NoVa.Dad, Dec 6, 2019.

1. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I guess Georgetown won the shootout. Too bad I missed it.

2. quzybuk

quzybuk Member

Wake Forest
    United States
    Oct 22, 2018
    They did, in the 2nd round of sudden death (so the 7th penalty for each team). Generally really well hit penalties; the 5th UVA penalty (to send it into sudden death) was my pick of the lot... and it needed to be, because the GTown keeper got a great jump with a correct guess.

Replay should be up for the next week on ESPN's streaming service. Great game. Exactly what you want from a championship.

Now it's time to wait and see who gets the GA offers and if there are any other surprises in terms of departures. The spring slate can't get here soon enough!

TimB4Last, fknbuflobo and gogorath repped this.
  3. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Congrats to Georgetown. They played the best soccer in the NCAA Tournament and, as such, deserved to win it all.

Great season by the Cavs. Nothing to be ashamed of.

4. Newports

Newports Member

Jan 19, 2012
    TimB4Last and SBZipfan repped this.
  5. quzybuk

quzybuk Member

Wake Forest
    United States
    Oct 22, 2018
    Shootouts are - in fact - THE worst... but they are the rules that exist at the moment and until FIFA comes to their collective senses and asks me to replace Infantino and I enact my plan to do AET with diminishing numbers of players playing comes to fruition, they will remain so.

Doesn't diminish the fact that this was a GREAT game.

collegesoccer, fknbuflobo and SBZipfan repped this.
  6. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    It was an excellent and entertaining championship game. Two strong teams, battling hard, as one would expect--and some high-quality soccer. Georgetown looked to have it won with a goal at the 81' mark or so but Uva scored late to tie, and then on to OT and PKs--13 straight made until the save by the Georgetown keeper won it for the Hoyas.

collegesoccer and TimB4Last repped this.
  7. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    The first year I coached kids the County Cup OT rule was no keepers. The OT games ended rather quickly.

8. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How do you know it was a guess?

Why is this always the common theme when it comes to penalties? Not everything is a guess.

Sorry...pet peeve of mine.

fknbuflobo repped this.
  9. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. There is much nuance in the mano y mano struggle that is a PK. Converting a PK is a skill all too frequently dismissed as mere luck. GK preventing PK conversion is likewise an underrated skill.

I hate matches decided by PKs just as much as the next guy. But. “It is the way!” Don’t go changing it now, not after so many tears have been shed.

It is my opinion that PKs should be converted at a much higher rate globally. Whatever that number is, it should be higher. Each player will have already executed more difficult tasks within the very same match. All Zen. All between the ears.

Yesterday’s Final was a very good match, and it was also a good PK shootout. The mistake was the statistical outlier. As it should have been.

Congratulations Hoyas!

Sandon Mibut and ThePonchat repped this.
  10. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    Keepers are taught to look for indications in the shooter's approach to which way he will shoot. Shooters are taught to fake those indicators. It's a guess.

Other notes -- there was only one shot right down the middle, and no one missed the goal completely.

11. quzybuk

quzybuk Member

Wake Forest
    United States
    Oct 22, 2018
    #36 quzybuk, Dec 16, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
    Is this an excuse to link to a compilation of Julian Dicks smashing penalties for West Ham? (I never need such an excuse. All hail the Terminator.)

Re "guess" terminology: As a keeper, if you make your move proactively (as opposed to waiting until the ball is kicked and trying to reflex-dive the proper direction), you are guessing. It can be an informed guess, based on tendency data or looking for specific techniques or whatever uber-technology that the Stanford keeper has to make all those saves, but you are still making a guess.

12. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    I watched the video of the shootout and pulled out some stats --

14 shooters, 13 right-footed, 1 left-footed (who shot to his right)
    5 shots to the left, 8 to the right, 1 down the middle
    Keepers went left 7 times, right 7 times
    Keepers went the same way as the shot 6 times
    Final shot and save was to the shooter's left

JoeSoccerFan repped this.
  13. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    Somewhere (and I don't know how to search for it) there is a video of a PK shot that hit the crossbar and bounced high. While the keeper is celebrating the miss, the ball came down and spun into the goal.

14. Vilhelm

Vilhelm Member

Sep 9, 2005
    Congratulations to Georgetown on their first national title.

After two decades with only two private school champions (SJU '96, WFU '07), the 2010's had five (Stanford x3, Notre Dame, Georgetown).

15. quzybuk

quzybuk Member

Wake Forest
    United States
    Oct 22, 2018
    This?

Bonus points for the opposing keeper being the taker. Keeper on keeper PK action is awesome.

espola repped this.
  16. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    And points to the referees for letting it play out.

17. UNCG2004

UNCG2004 Member

Leeds United
    United States
    Nov 20, 2019
    There are several of these out there, but this compilation is pretty good.

OverseasView and espola repped this.
  18. RusskyHoya

RusskyHoya New Member

DC United
    United States
    Dec 15, 2019
    For whatever it's worth, you can listen to Georgetown GK Tomas Romero describe his thought process on the deciding PK in this interview courtesy of the Big East Digital Network's John Fanta:

"On that final PK, actually, I kinda had, like, a counter-intuitive thought. Usually, when the player goes back like that - like, the run-up that he has - you would expect him to go to my left. And for some reason, I just thought: "I think he's gonna go right. And he did. So..."