Men's College Basketball 2003-2004 (NO SMACK)

Discussion in 'Basketball' started by WarrenWallace, Sep 25, 2003.

1. Narmec

Narmec Member

Aug 27, 2001
    Tucson, Arizona
    Ha! Arizona makes all those teams look like powerhouses! Don't feel bad, it's almost tipoff time.

I was really surprised by Montgomery's accusations. He is a class act. I can understand some of the coaches in the east/south being upset that Donovan kicks their ass in recruiting, but why Montgomery? I say that because I think the whole thing is sour grapes.

There's something strange about the whole affair. I think somebody whispered something into Montgomery's ear at the right time and got what he wanted. Was Nolan Richardson there?

2. stevewhit0

stevewhit0 New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Champaign, IL
    UConn by far is the best team this year...the only thing i fear is if Jonathan the Husky Dog gets run over again...other then that 2 titles for UConn B-ball this year.

3. NNCRed

NNCRed Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Land-o-Spuds
    Never count your eggs before they hatch. Just ask Narmec about Arizona last year or myself about Duke 2 years ago.

4. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Besides they might not win their own conference. And Nationally I think there a lot of teams that would have a say in UConn winning the National Championship.

5. NNCRed

NNCRed Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Land-o-Spuds
  6. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    This class is PG rich isn't it?

7. Narmec

Narmec Member

Aug 27, 2001
    Tucson, Arizona
    NNCRed, I was going to post something along these lines last night. But, I thought, let him learn the hard way.

8. Narmec

Narmec Member

Aug 27, 2001
    Tucson, Arizona
    What's your hunch, NNCRed? I keep going back and forth about who will get him. I'm thinking Duke right now. But the home team could steal him away. I'd say chances are:
    Duke 60%
    Illinois 30%
    U of A 10%

Arizona's only chance is their ability to develop NBA point guards. Well, maybe also to play on an ultra-athletic team. I would love to see Shukur, Livingston, Adams, Igoudala, and Frye play together. Sorry, dreaming.

9. NNCRed

NNCRed Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Land-o-Spuds
    I think (hope) Duke is where he'll end up. But Illinois was his last visit, so they're fresh in his mind. If he liked it, it's good for Ill. If he left with a bad taste in his mouth, it's bad for Ill.

Honestly though, it could go either way. I think you're predictions are about right. I think Illinois needs him more that Duke or Arizona need him. Duke and Arizona would love it if he came, but he won't make or break the next 2-4 years of either program. If Illinois gets him he could make their program for the next 5 or more years because it shows other future recruits that Illinois is a place to be with Weber as the coach.

We'll see on Monday though.

10. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look out Big Ten... Fuss-Cheatham is finally healthy. The Buckeyes should put up some serious points this season.

11. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    If Illinois signs Livinston they can say bye-bye to Dee Brown

12. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

hmmm... okaaaay

as always, i will be hoping for a busch braggin' rights II for the title match - GO MIZZOU!!!! GO ILLINI!!!!

13. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    don't think so?This is Dee's sophomore year. He's an NBA caliber point gaurd. Why would he stay to watch a frosh take his job?

14. NNCRed

NNCRed Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Land-o-Spuds
    Also, Duhon's graduating this year, so if Livingston goes to Duke it will be an open competition between him and Dockery for the PG spot next year.

15. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

as of now, dee isn't ready for the NBA... of course by the end of the season...

i dunno, i just wouldn't assume it was a given nor is him losing a starting place if he stayed

16. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Yea but I bet the Illini Staff is telling Livingston just that (that Brown will be gone by the time he gets there). The best PG in the recruiting class won't goto a school to sit behind another star player at his position. Which is why I think Arizona (Shakur) and Duke (Dockery) wouldn't be as attractive to him.

17. NNCRed

NNCRed Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Land-o-Spuds
    Unless Dockery plays with more control, he might always be a back up at Duke. Last year he didn't know when to slow the pace down, he was just going full throttle 100% of the time. I have a feeling that Coach K and Co. want Livingston there to run the show instead of Dockery, but I could be wrong.

18. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Not all freshman are like Carmelo. The kids got mad skills, he'll be fine once he learns.

Curious, has Carolina got another point from this class? No way in hell that Felton stays after this season. Not after the publicity he gets after running Roy's Run 'N Gun offense.

19. NNCRed

NNCRed Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Land-o-Spuds
    Running the point on next year's Duke team (assuming everybody stays) will be like Duhon running the point his freshman year when they won the title. Just get the ball to the Shelden and Shavlik down low (Shav's reportedly bulked up a lot) and then find Ewing and JJ on the perimeter, not mention finding Deng wherever he's at. He wouldn't have to be like Melo (ie- not the main threat on the team).

I think Carolina signed a kid from NY. Can't remember for sure. I believe they didn't want to be left in limbo with Livingston. Again, my memory is a bit fuzzy.

20. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Pre-Season USA Today/ESPN Coaches Top 25

1. Uconn
    2. Duke
    3. Michigan St
    4. Arizona ??????
    5. Kansas
    6. Missouri
    7. Syracuse
    8. Florida
    9. Kentucky
    10. North Carolina
    11. Texas
    12. Zags
    13. Illinois
    14. Wisconsin
    15. Oklahoma
    16. Louisville
    17. Stanford
    18. St. Joes
    T19. Cinncinatti
    T19. Notre Dame
    21.Wake Forest
    22.Pittsburgh
    23.Marquette
    24.Oklahoma St
    25. Maryland

a few thoughts

• Arizona at 4? Hey Narmec can you explain this one? I mean they are definatly top 15, but FOUR?
    • I hope no one complains about Syracuse's schedule. Sure they don't leave the Dome until 2004, but they Play #1 Twice, #3, and #6, #19 Twice, and #22.
    • I really don't understand the Coaches thinking in ranking Kansas ahead of Syracuse. I argued with Lucid about this earlier so need to get into it again.
    • Florida is ranked really high for being a really soft team. They have two legit players, Roberson and David Lee. After thats its Drejer who didn't do anything in his freshman year. Even though he was touted as the best freshman in the country.
    • Are Coaches assuming that Sebastain Telfair is playing for Louisville THIS year? I think they under-estimate the loss of Reece Gaines on an already thin squad.
    • Wisconsin has a very un-wisconsin like player on their squad. And he can take them far if gets some support.
    • # of top 25 teams in the New Big East. 7
    • # of top 25 Teams in the New ACC. 4

21. WarrenWallace

WarrenWallace Member

Mar 12, 1999
    Beer and Cheese
    Which guy is this?

22. WarrenWallace

WarrenWallace Member

Mar 12, 1999
    Beer and Cheese
    One of Wisconsin's top players is out until December with a broken foot. But Wisc. only lost one player out of their top 8 and also gained a First Team HS All-American (higher ranked than C. Villanueva according to USA Today) and the #2 players out of Minnesota and Illinois.

23. NNCRed

NNCRed Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Land-o-Spuds
    Also, the loss of Marvin Stone is big to Louisville as well.

And we both know that the ACC's move(s) to pick up Miami, VaTech, and BC were not hoops inspired. If anything, it might have ruined one of the, if not the best, college basketball conferences in the nation. The Pac10 is the only major conference left that plays home and home, which sucks.

24. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
  25. Lucid

Lucid Member

May 17, 1999
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I dunno, I picked them on page two of this thread to go to the final four this season. In my mind they are probably 6th or 7th, but then again... there's not really any difference at all between #4 and #7 in the preseason rankings.

• I really don't understand the Coaches thinking in ranking Kansas ahead of Syracuse. I argued with Lucid about this earlier so need to get into it again.
    [/QUOTE]

No, I say we rehash the debate.

Just kidding :p

"No way, no day" what? Kansas is obviously a top 5 team and even though it pains me to say it, Missouri is also a ligitimate team. What's the objection?