Men's College Basketball 2003-2004 (NO SMACK)

Discussion in 'Basketball' started by WarrenWallace, Sep 25, 2003.

1. gsterp

gsterp Member+

Jul 16, 2003
    College Park
    If be "we all" you mean "Duke and Carolina fans", then yes, you are correct.

Hopefully FSU can come through here and get themselves the win they need to make the NCAA's

2. ProfZodiac

ProfZodiac Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like both Wake and Maryland. I don't know who to pull for.

3. Narmec

Narmec Member

Aug 27, 2001
    Tucson, Arizona
    Congrats Washington. Take the tourney title while you're at it.
    Andre Iguodala, who according to a local CB "expert" is going to be a top 5 pick in this year's NBA Draft, had his 4th triple double of the year. It consisted of 10 bad shots, 11 turnovers, and 13 missed chances to get some momentum for Arizona. MJ you ain't, Andre.
    On a side note, if anybody wants to make some money, read here. If Arizona gets an officiating crew who calls it tight, they're gone. This game was horrible on both teams (Roy's second foul was a joke), but UW is deeper. This is not Duke, who might play a seven-man rotation, but their 8-10 guys are McDonalds All-Americans. Arizona's 8-10 are walk-ons, and I'm pretty sure this 37-year-old former "player" can take all 3.

4. NNCRed

NNCRed Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Land-o-Spuds
    Watching the game, Arizona looked complacent throughout. They got out to that early lead and could have put UW away, but instead they watched UW shoot over the top of their zone and take the lead away. In the second half every time Arizona got close you could just sense that they weren't going to get it done. They did not look good in their half court set and stayed in the game with FT shooting and transition points. Arizona's depth is a real worry for them in the Tournament, as is Stoudamire's injury. If he shoots as bad as he did in the Pac10 tournament, AZ would be fortunate to get to the Sweet 16. This loss really hurt their seeding too, IMHO.

On the flip side, I think this win put Washington in for sure. Even if they get hammered tonight, they really deserve to be in the field. They could be as high as a 10 seed as of now, if they win tonight they could be as high as a 7. Wherever they're seeded (assuming they get in) they would not be a team I would want to play in the first round as a higher seed. They're playing with tremendous confidence, they get good play out of their bench, and are a great second half and comeback team.

5. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    We are all Duke and Carolina fans on the inside. Actual Duke and Carolina fans moreso.

So it looks like Maryland's a lock now with their win over Wake Forest, and FSU is out barring a minor miracle. I can't see the Committee taking a team with a 6-10 conference record and a first round loss.

6. NNCRed

NNCRed Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Land-o-Spuds
    I think everybody likes to watch Duke v. Carolina. Just like it's always fun to watch Ohio State v. Michigan in football. Both schools hate each other, have tradition, and are usually among the best teams in the nation.

Good win for Maryland last night. They've gotta be a lock now if there was any doubt before. Agree on FSU, they're done. No road wins in the ACC and then a first round loss in the Tournament isn't good. They're on a 5 game losing streak and in their last 10 games they are 3-7.

7. DamonEsquire

DamonEsquire BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 16, 2002
    Kentucky
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ber' for One Seed.

I must say. Stanford and Saint Joesph is deserving of Number 1 (record wise). This leaving remainder for Kentucky, Oklahoma State and Duke. Being all three win on Sunday. Oklahome State gets it and Duke edging out Kentucky (teams stats are very close in all catagories). If it weren't for ESPN's dirty laundry, I would argue for the one. Though, number two ain't bad.

P.S.
    Drop a line on upsetter predictions (Correctly Guessed).

8. amerifolklegend

amerifolklegend New Member

Jul 21, 1999
    Oakley, America
    Re: Ber' for One Seed.

Are you illiterate or foreign? I've been trying to figure out which one it is for a while now.

9. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    Fear the Turtle once again.....

Those cocky Blue Duds choke big time...

10. gsterp

gsterp Member+

Jul 16, 2003
    College Park
    WOOOOO!!!!

Absolutely great ACC tournament this year, and not just because my team won. Almost every game was in question with a couple minutes to go, which is all you can ask for as a fan. No doubt in my mind that the ACC was far and beyond every other conference in the country this season. Too bad it's getting crapped up next year, but that's another issue.

Brackets should be interesting now. Hopefully Richmond can get in so both hometown teams are represented (VCU being the other).

GO TERPS!!!

11. NNCRed

NNCRed Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Land-o-Spuds
    Congrats to Maryland. You guys played on helluva tournament. While this was a game Duke could have won, we didn't lose it, you won it. It looked as thought Duke and Maryland switched FT percentages today. We shoot horrible for the line, you guys shot great. You guys were the best team over the three days. Again, congrats and good luck in the Tournament.

This could be a very good year for the ACC in the Dance. Nobody is seeded lower than 6.

And skip, there's potential for that third Duke v. NC game in the Elite Eight.

12. mellon002

mellon002 Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Towson, MD
    I would just like to say, yeah Terps.

13. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Word.

14. Riverdale Goalie

Riverdale Goalie New Member

May 12, 2001
    Bowie MD
    Richmond got in and Maryland beat Duke, it's been a great day for me :) Everyone for Wisconsin is sleepin' on Richmond and focusing on the fact they were underseeded. They're looking ahead to Pitt which probably isn't a good idea. Dobbins is one of the best defensive players in the country (Think this year might be his third straight defensive player of the year in the A-10, at least his second) and if he can put the clamps down on Harris, Wisconsin will struggle because Harris is Wisconsin. As for Maryland the way the bracket has set itself out I see them making their way to the Elite Eight if they keep playing the way they have been. Stanford has played a bunch of softies this year. I also have a bet that involves me swimming a lake if UCONN wins the whole thing so I'm gonna have to pick MD over UCONN too purely for welfare reasons ;)

15. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    I saw that. But honestly, Carolina's ripe for a first round flameout. There's always a good chance for an upset when a team is out of its own time zone - well, Denver will practically be home court for Air Force, whom I believe is under-seeded, as mid-majors often are.
    Combine that with Carolina's inconsistency and inability to close out games, especially away from home. I'm nervous.

Useless fact - this is the first time two teams formerly coached by Dean Smith meet in the NCAA tournament.

16. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

17. NNCRed

NNCRed Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Land-o-Spuds
    Looking at it a bit more, Air Force will be a difficult match up. If Air Force can dictate the tempo and play a slower game, NC will have trouble getting transitions baskets. Also, the altitude may hurt NC some, especially May who seems to run out of gas pretty easily. I think the thin bench might come to hurt NC in those first two games due to the altitude and the style they want to play.

18. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Christian Laettner still looks good in Duke blue, doesn't he?
    Great, another reason to be pessimistic about the first round.

19. JG

JG Member+

Jun 27, 1999
    Coaching news out of the midwest the last couple days--Matt Painter has accepted the job at Purdue, where he'll be an assistant next year and then replace Keady in 05-06. Southern Illinois is replacing Painter with Illinois assistant Chris Lowery, who was on Bruce Weber's staff at SIU and also played for the Salukis.

Painter may be a good hire, but Purdue really seems to have botched the Keady situation.