Menace!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'US Open Cup' started by aetraxx7, Jun 30, 2005.

1. aetraxx7

aetraxx7 Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone notice that the Menace are on a roll? That's right baby 3rd round of the USOC!! Taking into account the earlier win over the Min. Thunder, Des Moines is 3-0 against pro teams. Pittsburgh - sucked! The best part of watching that team? Their coach was a royal A** hole and kept jumping at the refs. Charleston - overrated. They lacked any desire to play, had a passive coach and only scored 2 on lucky, sloppy slip ups. Don't get me started on the Thunder (we shut them out). I watch as much soccer as possible and I can tell you that there's no team in the MLs that's playing like the Menace right now. Last night, they showed last year's semifinalist how to play.
    It's no surprise that the Menace ripping up the PDL and USOC. They have the most intense midfielder in the US, Chris Hamburger. The Drake star will kick your butt if you cut on his name and has more determination than anyone on the pitch. Add in the best GK I've seen since Tim Howard's debut at MU in Andy Gruenebaum and throw in a dash of Edwin Disang, Blake Siberz, and A little Tomas Boltnar for flavor. In my opinion, the Menace can not only run with anyone in the MLS, but can beat most of them hands down (New England's pretty tough). If the last 2 USOC cups didn't get some pro scouts' attention, then the next one will. I've said that Hamburger's a shoo-in for a pro career since I first saw him play. Dedication has no doubt kept Boltnar in Des Moines. The whole team could go pro. Throw us in the 1st Division now. We're ready.

2. lemons

lemons Member

United States
    Nov 20, 2004
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Whoa there. Sure, the Menace have been good, but you're taking it way too far. You're jumping to conclusions because they have been hot as of late. Chill out. Take a few breaths. They're playing well, but bump them up to MLS right now? :confused:

3. MenaceFanatic

MenaceFanatic New Member

Oct 5, 2004
    I do believe that there is some truth in your words, but do agree that they are pretty strong. Besides, Hamburger isn't MLS material.......he wouldn't look good on camera. What a mug!! ;)

You also forgot to mention the play of Armin, in my opinion he is a very gutsy player who is HUNGRY for some love. Give him a chance and he'll put one in the net for you.

4. orbie

orbie New Member

Jul 9, 2003
    Austin
    WOW! just saw the scores for USOC. I love this tournament and wish the rest of american soccer fans felt as I do. What a great tournament! Wish I could see the matches in person for teams and fans like the Menace.

Congrats! give the big boys hell.

If El Paso would have advanced one more game I would have made the drive from Austin. I'll just wait until a match in Dallas.

5. firesting81

firesting81 Member+

Jan 16, 2001
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    Hey, I'm a Menace fan and LOVE this run they've been on and all, but MLS? They could definitely hang in USL Division 1. They might be better than Chivas USA and Real Salt Lake but the rest of MLS could handle the Menace easily if they didn't underestimate them. Sure the Revs are the class of MLS but I think you severely underestimate the rest of the league (especially FC Dallas and my Fire).

6. cristoforo7

cristoforo7 New Member

May 14, 2003
    Ahh, the exuberance of youth...

7. menacemaniac

menacemaniac New Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Des Moines Area

Perhaps your comments are a little over the top, but nonetheless, I don't disagree with everything you're saying, but I do disagree with a number of things you said, which I'll address now. I'm doing this not to start an argument, but to maybe enlighten you a bit on the players and the games to a certain extent.

The comments on Hamburger, most certainly over the top. Turnovers and durability are a huge issue with this guy as well as consistency. If you think he'll be a future player, those three things need to be cleaned up A LOT if there's a future in the game of soccer for him.

The Thunder game wasn't actually partaken in by the first squad of Minnesota, but rather their second squad. There were little to no starters and not many game-ready players on the pitch for that game. I thought this was apparent by how they played, and their attire (see the Register article in which Siberz looks like a goon and multiple players on the Thunder were wearing clashing undershirts and didn't look the part. This is a sure-fire sign their first team was not present, because they wouldn't show up looking like a circus and finishing off the mascarade by playing like one).

Pittsburgh was terrible, I wholeheartedly agree with that. Their coach was what you called an A-----E. Absolute clown show. That game should have been over in the first 25 minutes, but the lack of finishing we've shown as a weakness up to that point in the season cost us an early end to the game. However, we've solved that issue in the past few games.

Charleston was good, don't think they weren't either. The game was dominated in a sense by the Menace in the first half. If you were at the game and paying close attention (with no booze in your system) Charleston had a variety of chances in the first half, but must have forgot to read the memo that you can only score if you put the ball in the goal and not between the crossbars of the football field goal posts. I think they were briefed on that at halftime and forgot that later in the game. Their big forward who came in at halftime changed the pace and play of the game in the final 45. He was a constant threat, finished the first goal, and created havoc for the defense. If he were in the game for 90 minutes, the score may have been different. He dealt us a lot of trouble.

To say there isn't a team in the MLS that's playing like the Menace right now is foolish. New England lost one game in which they were missing a few players due to national team duty. Do you recall the Menace loss to Thunder Bay at home a little over two weeks ago? That comment is certainly a bit ridiculous, however, I do admire your admiration and excitement toward the team.

GBaum is a 'Menace' (I made a silly) in the goal for opposing teams. He's a great player, but if you want to give him due props you shouldn't compare him to Tim Howard. I'd stick to putting him in the same league as a Kasey Keller or even a Joe Cannon of last MLS season. He's a great keeper, but Tim Howard, in my personal opinion, isn't anything overly special. He got a contract with Man. U, okay, fair enough. You could base any argument off that, but he did get beat out by Roy Carroll, who is a joke.

A few other Menace players are mentioned, such as Boltnar, Disang and Siberz. Disang is a great player when the dedication is there. When he's working his tail off he creates a whole different ball game for his team, as well as the opposing team. He's a tough player to defend because of athleticism and trickiness on the ball. Boltnar is just solid, smart and knows how to get a team behind him. Siberz, a guy who doesn't have the greatest ball distributing qualities in the world and seemed as if he was trying to give Charleston the game the other night, keeps himself on the field because he fights for everything (note he got red carded in stoppage time against Indiana for this...but all the praise in the world to him regardless) and makes his presence known by making hard tackles and winning lots of balls in the air.

Where are the props for Danilo at? Danilo is, in my opinion and many of the players on the team whom I've talked to, the most likely to go pro on the entire team next season. He's solid, doesn't get beat, distributes very well, stays calm, makes wise decisions and is a good field general for our team. He has the entire package, and dedication is his strongest trait. You should be praising him out of his mind on this site.

In closing, there are a few players who have gone somewhat under the radar this season because of their duty of filling back-up roles. The main culprit being goalkeeper Jason Tillman. I've attended a few practices (okay, a lot of them) and he's by far the best back up keeper in the PDL. If this guy were at any other PDL club in the country he'd be a starter, and without doubt, a star. In his back-up role he has never complained, gotten distraught, or even once mentioned he might leave to play elsewhere. This is the most admirable thing about him, although he's made a great name for himself at Michigan State as a starting goal keeper since his freshman year, he's still here fulfilling his duty as a back-up and doing it with more class then anybody around. Tillman could find himself having a great pro career himself.

The Menace could compete at the USL1 level, no doubt about that. Can't argue there. Most MLS teams would get a game out of them too.

That's all I've got for now. It's late and some people have to work in the morning...and by some people, I most certainly mean me...stupid computer keeping me up all night. Let me hear your thoughts.

8. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

your going to be eating a lot of crow with statements like that.

Your have a good team in Des Moines no doubt about it, but realize the Battery were playing their 4th match in 7 days, all on the road and were playing on a high school football field that was 8 yards narrower than FIFA minimums. 60 vs. 68 yards. Blackbaud stadium here in Charleston is 75 yards and we have a lot of success attacking down the wings which was negated with the narrow field. Kudos to your guys for taking advantage of that. But to say you'd handle MLS teams (or USL D1 week in, week out) with out much problem is either ignorance or alcohol.

good luck with the rest of your cup run.

mikey

9. cristoforo7

cristoforo7 New Member

May 14, 2003
    Or it's just the exuberance of youthfulness and delerious fanaticism. His team of amateurs (and I mean that respectfully, from a purely categorical point of view) just beat a decent USL-1 team of professionals.

More power to him ... just take his comments for what they are-- a tribute to his team from a super-enthused fanatic.

And you have to get excited about something in Des Moines ... (just kidding guys, my father-in-law spent his early youth there).

10. lemons

lemons Member

United States
    Nov 20, 2004
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Haha. How true you are.

11. menacemaniac

menacemaniac New Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Des Moines Area
    I'll second that...Des Moines needs all the excitement it can get...

12. firesting81

firesting81 Member+

Jan 16, 2001
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    Des Moines will be hoppin' pretty soon with Wells Fargo Arena on the way though. BTW, I've always wanted Krause to field the Menace as professionals in the top USL league and put the PDL franchise in Cedar Rapids. Talk about a town that needs more action. We've had baseball forever, got hockey a few years back, getting basketball...again. Its high time we get some soccer in this town.

13. aetraxx7

aetraxx7 Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All right, all right. I was a bit over the top. i was jazzed about the success of the team so far this season. Charlseton did look good and I gave them major props before the game. I was merely trying to drum up some excitement for the good people here in our boring state.
    Let me clear up a few issues: 1. The comparison to Tim Howard was directed at his immidiate arrival at MU when he beat out Fabien Barthez. Yeah losing his job to Carrol and being bumped off the US team pretty much showed he was a falsh in the pan. Similar to what would have happened had Landon not came back from Germany - again. Kind of makes you think that Europe wants to make the US look bad any way possible, even through our players. 2. Hamburger deserves mad props b/c he does fight hard (most of the time) and he's a good guy. Besides, I watched him play against GVC when I got my BA and will watch him play for Drake while I get my Master's. Of all the players on the team, he's the most personable. Keep in mind that I've gone to school with a few and at least one used to drink with my brother in high school. 3. Yeah the Menace can't run with the big boys week in and week out b/c they are an "amatuer" team. That's true. However, for the purposes of the cup, they have the talent and the drive to make some serious headway. Charlseton was a good team and we did have a true homefield advantage. But, as Hamburger told me, that was part of the game plan; the Battery, just like Pitt, came in thinking the game was a joke and we beat them. Atlanta's a tough team and the game will be tight. There's just one thing we need to work on... 4. Our finishing sucks! We take more shots than God and can't hit anything. Casey, for God's sake tie some cans up for target practice or something. Thank God for Andy. 5. I didn't mean to leave anyone out when throwing props to the players. There's loads of talent and potential on that bench. Some players definitely lack the desire and dedication, but then they come off the bench and score 2 goals. Boltnar, for example, needs to work on his defensive game. He needs to be more of a 2-way player. Casey's been yelling that from the bench all season. Otherwise, he's still one of the best on the team. Danilo is awesome. Sorry I left him out. 6. I was praying Chivas would be the 3rd round draw b/c that'd be a guarantee to the 4th for a 12-yr old team. They're awful. 7. The MLS is great (for the most part). They're doing great things this year with Real Madrid, Fulham, Chelsea, and AC Milan exhibitions. It's a step in the right direction. Now if we'd get a promotion/relegation system instead of running it like the NFL... Dallas looks amazing, The Revs are unstoppable, and the Fire are still the best. That's why there's a Chicago jersey in my closet and a plate frame on my car. So, if the Menace had drawn the Fire for a home game, I'd been ready to die happy.

Most importantly: There's nothing to do in Des Moines. Our press and TV suck. There's a serious lack of support for any team that's not an "affiliate" of a MLB or NHL franchise. And most people don't even realize we have a soccer team. Hell, Drake's weak football program gets more press than its successful soccer team. There is a serious lack of awareness by those who run the joint. Really sad considering we have great state-wide youth soccer. Maybe someday when we run things...

14. firesting81

firesting81 Member+

Jan 16, 2001
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    You're a good man. But wouldn't you rather get the chance to knock off Dallas?

Um, Drake's football team won their conference championship. While its not the Gateway Conference or anything, they are currently the Pioneer League Champions. Besides, when was the last time Drake's soccer team made the NCAA tourney?

The Menace are only like the envy of the entire PDL right now...on and off the field. I see Menace shirts all the time in Iowa City and Cedar Rapids. In fact, I couldn't go to an Iowa football game last year without seeing people in Menace gear. I'll gladly let the current ownership run things.

15. lemons

lemons Member

United States
    Nov 20, 2004
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    The Menace are very aware of the youth soccer in the area. That's why they have a lot of youth teams (I know many people who play for them).

16. mutinywxgirl

mutinywxgirl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 6, 1999
    St. Petersburg, FL
    The Menace have always run a first class organization, and it shows.

17. aetraxx7

aetraxx7 Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, no, no. It's not the management that's the problem. It's our media. Rarely do they throw anything out for the people. My own family didn't even know about the Meance until I started offering tickets to games. There's no coverage. When a native Iowan who played for Drake and the Menace is drafted by the MLS, shouldn't our news outlets broadcast that fact? Especially when he's from the freakin' town in which the Menace now play?!?!

Let's really lay it out there: The I-Cubs have a re-habbing pitcher or two and they're the greatest thing to happen to Des Moines. We so quickly forget that they threatened to move out of town a few years ago. I'm not complaining mind you, b/c I see the importance of all sports to the community, but Channel 8 didn't show up to the Charleston game until about half time. Rediculous.

I think Krause is doing a great job and we have some decent support.
    I have been disappointed by the smaller fan support since moving to Waukee. The thing about Hoover was that it's in an area with a large natural soccer fan base. There are several Latinos and Bosnians in the area that don't seem to be making the trek to Waukee. The games against the Bosnian select team and Monarcas last year brought an exciting number of people out. I was hoping that the momentum would carry over this year. I think that if 5,8,13, and 17 would show a little support and the Register would move team coverage of the round up page, we'd see increased numbers. Waukee holds a lot of people and we haven't really had it very full. The "home side" is usually about 2/3 full and the side behind the bench is sparsely populated. (OF course there are a few of us that prefer that side b/c the field is closer and you can hear the officials and the benches.)

I've been converting the "I don't like soccer" "Soccer players are (insert expletive here)" etc guys all season. I've brought people with me to the game that have never watched soccer on an adult level. That's why our fan base maintains.

I'm not going to hit the football thing too hard but I think that the sport is overemphasized in Iowa. Sure I love ISU and Iowa doing well, but in the metro, football sucks. Want proof? Look at any Des Moines Public High School's football program. There is not a one that is good. Valley's great, but that's mainly due to residents holding the school together instead of building a new HS. They knew what would happen to football. Dowling steals the best players from the city. Don't tell me they don't - most of my friends are south siders who went to Dowling not Lincoln.

We have a huge population of immigrants whose native sport is soccer and we should be encouraging them to attend Menace games. i think Des Moines needs to lose its pretencious facade and drop the "importance" of football. Sure there are a lot of good old boys still in the state that love their football, but being related to several of these, I know that most of them don't realize Iowans really aren't doing crap in the college game. (Brett Meyer is from Atlantic, I know, but how many other starters are transplanted Texans or Floridians?). The most successful Iowan football players have been (ahem) kickers. My best friend was a lineman at Dowling and a Marine. He "hated!!!!" soccer until I forced him to go to a Menace game. Now, he has my Fifa 2004 and plays it more than Madden. He goes to Menace games whenever his wife lets him and watches it whenever its on. He recognizes the reality of sports in the state of Iowa.

I've done what I can to increase awareness by our ignorant media (most of whom are not native Iowans anyway) but success has been limited. I've been satisfied with the increase of high school soccer coverage and the HS sport in general. My Freshman year at Lincoln saw soccer still as a "club" co-ed sport. My sophmore year saw the sport recognized as competitive. The sport continues to grow and with the right media support, some metro area community will revive Urbandale's broken promise and get the Stadium built. Then we'll have the 1st div team adn the media will HAVE TO cover the team. No excuses.

By the way, I do ahve season tickets and I do go to every game. I don't sit with the army b/c there are too many distractions and kids on that side of the field (throwing Roberts cows?) and b/c the view is closer behind the bench. Plus, when Pitt's coach was screaming and throwing his tantrums, I could hear every word. Love to the team, love to the fans, and I'll see you there tonight. The Red Army's doing a great job too.

Oh and to prevent any backlash, here's my personal prefernece for sport: Hockey, Soccer, NCAA Football, LaCrosse, NCAA Basketball, NFL, AFL, MLB, NBA, and then somewhere around chess, NASCAR. Yes I will attend Stars games and muster support, but I'm a Wings fan...

18. mutinywxgirl

mutinywxgirl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 6, 1999
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Don't complain on here - complain to the newspaper!

Also, this forum is for the Open Cup - there are threads in the USL forum about this type of stuff. Feel free to vent over there. Many others do as well.

19. aetraxx7

aetraxx7 Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right. Back to the subject of the Cup. Sorry, I did get sidetracked on a tirade. It happens from time to time.

It's too bad that the next game is in Atlanta b/c I have a feeling that it will be the most monumental game in Menace history. The fact that we are playing away from home takes away a major psychological edge that we were fortunate to have against Pitt and the Battery. Plus, by now Atlanta knows that we're not just lucky and that we pose a threat. They'll be ready for us. Hopefully, we'll be able to play our game and take it to them at their house.

Watching Andy's boredom at the Spitfire game last night showed that he prefers to play an close over a cake-walk. Listening to him talk to his family during the fireworks gave me a respect for his dedication and ambition. The man knows he's good and he plays like it. There are only a couple of guys on the team that seem to be lacking that edge. Andy needs to make sure to have everyone playing with that untouchable mindset to field a cohesive team in Atlanta. This is especially important for the recent additions to the team. There are a few guys who weren't present for round 1 and 2 that'll most likely be coming off the bench. We need them to be ready at Andy's level.

Since there are no more home games prior to the next round, I wish our boys luck and victory. I hope to be making the trip to KC on 8/3....

20. MenaceFanatic

MenaceFanatic New Member

Oct 5, 2004
    Soon to be in the past tense "played for them"--

21. Soccerbank

Soccerbank New Member

Jun 9, 2005
    I would like to second the scentiments regarding Jason Tillman (GK). He is not only an outstanding Athlete, he is a first class gentleman. I hope he gets his opportunity in the future to show the talent he possesses. He is in a very unenviable position having to back -up anyone. The Menace club is very lucky to have talent this deep. It would be wonderful to see this team try and stay together for another year but with so many graduation from College, it would be tough unless it was a Division One team(at the least).

22. Daryl

Daryl New Member

Jun 22, 2005
    Menace will have their hands full in a 3-5-2 on a wide pitch against a first division team. It puts terriffic defensive pressure on the wide mids. If they get up in the attack and Atlanta counters down the side the defensive coverage has to come from the middle (Hamburger or Wieland). Hamburger can more than make up for turnovers with his defensive work off the ball. If he pressures well he prevents the opponent from sending winners forward. If Hamburger doesn't, our defenders will be in for a long night. Defensive work by the mids doesn't get recognized but it's what allows Tomas to be effective - roaming into open spots and making great decisions. Good luck Menace!

23. aetraxx7

aetraxx7 Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still going baby!!! Listening to the webcast right now...

2-0 Menace at this point. Kansas City here we come!!!!! I know there's still 3/4 of a game left, but hey - LET'S GO MENACE!!!

HERE WE GO! HERE WE GO! HERE WE GOOOO!

24. GUTuna

GUTuna Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Washington, DC USA
    They're up 3-0?!?! Start making those roadtrip plans to KC...

25. aetraxx7

aetraxx7 Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    5-1 just after the half!!!!