Memo for El Pibe

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by jmeissen0, Aug 29, 2002.

1. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
  2. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    GET A HAIRCUT.

3. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree completely...

...on both counts.

4. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    he can wear long hair, but please retire... next year, he's going to need a walker

5. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was talking about this last night with my wife.

The dude is turning 41 next week or something. He will turn 42 during the next season. Yes he can still pass and kick the ball, which is I guess all he needs to do, but at what point does having a guy this old in the league become embarassing? Preki too.

It begs the question: what does it say about the quality of the play in this league where these two old guys can play and still look like they're playing well?

6. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Walker or no, it still seems like the only time he gives the ball away is when he gives it away; not when someone steals it from him. 'Cause they can't. While Northside may be right - this indeed may be embarassing for the league - the guy can still play. His 2nd half play last night proved that. He was spraying balls over the place, mostly in dangerous places, one leading to a goal. Sure, he looks like great-grandpa at times, but he's still got more magic in his legs than just about anyone in MLS.

He may never win a championship since he could hardly be called a two-way player (tho he plays more defense than people give him credit for), but he's still a threat and puts fear into a lot of defenses.

I for one still love watching him pay - there's a lot more style and nuance than the average MLS game when he's in it.

Just my .02 on Senor Pibe.

7. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078

part of that is the fear that coaches have with letting american players run the show... they don't get the chance to get out there and prove that they got it...

he can pass and shield, but the guy isn't going to be pressuring anyone or winning a 50-50 ball anytime soon... "it's ok not to play defense and walk everywhere"

he was a great player, let him go...

8. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks to me like he can still perform in the right system. Keep him.

9. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, but the "right system" for him is a foosball table.

It was fun, though, at the game at the Rose Bowl. Whenever he walked over to where I was standing, I yelled "Carlos, Dont't run so hard!"

10. NACIONAL

NACIONAL New Member

Dec 31, 2001
    Medellin, Colombia
    well he will retire this year... like it or not...

in santa marta (the place where he born) some guy is making him a 10 meter statue... that thing will be puted outside the Union Stadium... (Union Magdalena was his first team I think...)

11. Soccer-Six-Shooter

Soccer-Six-Shooter New Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Arlington, VA
    El Pibe can still cut the mustard

Hes 40, but can still play. Why should he retire if he is still effective? I Know he gets lazy at times and doesnt hustle. He has the sweetest touch for a pass I have seen and a magician with the ball. I think he will retire after this year. Its been a pleasure watching his ball skills over the years. He is the MLS all-time leader in assists and worthy of respect. Lets see how many of these current MLS players can cut it when they're 40. I'm sure Carlos knows when to hang it up. I read recently that he was interested in coaching after his playing years. He contributed to the growth of MLS too. So buzz off. El Pibe deserves to be in a MLS hall of fame.

12. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    the league will have improved so that by the time they are 40, most of them won't be able to cut it at all

a guy like preki is another story... the man goes 90 minutes hard

you can be 40 and still play, it's another thing when one of those 40 year old players is only playing if he has the ball

13. moremont

moremont New Member

i think all mentioned above are at the twilight of their careers due to lack of their defensive presure and hustle.

included on this list should be:
    -Cienfuegos
    -Valderama
    -Preki

*what these guys have done is priceless to the league but i think that there time has come for them to either take reserve roles or retire all together

IMHO these spots should be opened up for young americans, young central americans, and or young south americans

14. Ted Cikowski

Ted Cikowski Red Card

May 31, 2000
    what does it say about the standard of the NBA when a man of Michael Jordan's age still earns a pay check? The European leagues must be laughing.

15. NACIONAL

NACIONAL New Member

Dec 31, 2001
    Medellin, Colombia
    please.. get a life... he will retire next year... and MLS will put him in the hall of fame... let the man play, he is the leader in asssist.. he really did something for the league... not like others around...

16. dawgpound2

dawgpound2 Member

Mar 3, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA
    Preach it. Doesn't the "all-hailed" EPL have Laurent Blanc, Nigel Winterburn, and Martin Keown still trying to defend?????

Didn't Tony Adams JUST retire this season?

17. neilgrossman

neilgrossman New Member

May 12, 2000
    Hoboken, NJ
    Preki is on the list, but Etcheverry isn't?

18. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The statue will move as fast as Pibe does this year. If it wasn't ten feet tall, you couldn't tell the difference.

19. rymannryan

rymannryan New Member

Aug 27, 2002
    N.N., Virginia
    I'm a DC fan but Etcheverry needs to join that group including Pibe, Cien, and I guess you could say Preki.

20. NACIONAL

NACIONAL New Member

Dec 31, 2001
    Medellin, Colombia
    is not 10 feet is ... is 10 meters... that is a lot different....

21. feuerfex

feuerfex Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Re: El Pibe can still cut the mustard

Which is about as relevant as his age.

The point is that he is still effective. If he wasn't he wouldn't be playing. While he may be the all-time leader in assists, what's relevant is what he is doing this year.

And what IS he doing this year? Well, only two people in the entire league have more assists than he does. Only two. That's pretty exclusive territory I'd say. And nobody has more secondary assists (or even as many).

Not bad, for anyone, regardless of age or hair.

22. BorrachoNJ

BorrachoNJ New Member

Apr 8, 2001
    NEW BRUNSWICK, NJ
    pibe's punk ass is having a farewall match that includes pele, maradona and the infamouse rene higuita. sometime in november, according to a colombia sports daily.

we'll miss you, pibe.

23. gschroeder

gschroeder Member

Jun 18, 2001
    Thornton, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Carlos has already said he is playing next year and as far as him not being of value, last night he had 2 assists, one being the game winner, a SOG and I can't even describe what he does when he has the ball and 2-3 guys on his back trying to get it, somehow he usually always comes out with it and an amazing pass. Sure he makes a bad pass here and there, who doesn't and sure he doesn't run like other players but guess what, other player can't control the ball like he can.

And lastly, his hair is his totem. He wouldn't be El Pibe without it.

24. paulocesar

paulocesar Member

Oct 4, 2000
    This guy was like the first Rapids fan to make a comment.

So if his team wants him, and their fans want him...what the hell use is it for you guys to be bitching about it????

Instead of him raising his game (even though he is still effective in assists and holding the ball), why doesn't the league IMPROVE ITS OWN standards so that el Pibe CAN'T COMPETE?!?!? Apparently, it ain't happening now...he's still making assists and making the coach quite happy...and when Carlos does decide to retire...he sure won't be listening to your input.

Other leagues aren't laughing about over age players...they are still laughing that we had the shootout!?!?!?

25. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Stanley Matthews played until 50. It doesn't say anything bad, but the problem is the cost. Paying top wages for, at this point, average quality players is disastrous for the teams and wasteful for the league. The counter argument is that MLS takes care of its stars. Knowing you could be living well until you're 40 is a nice incentive.