Mellencamp: It's Time to Take Back Our Country

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Mel Brennan, Oct 23, 2003.

1. champmanager

champmanager Member

Dec 13, 2001
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Kazakhstan
    This is awfully schizo, even for you.
    He's saying corporate greed, yes, and in my opinion, rightly so.
    His records are distributed by a very large, and likely greedy, corporation.
    He could dump his record company, and perhaps start his own vanity imprint, but this would DOOM HIM TO MARGINALITY AND INSIGNIFICANCE.

And you most certainly ARE saying corporate greed, and if you don't think hypocrisy is a terrible failing, why are you bringing it up?

Of course, this inability to BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH dooms you to marginality and insignificance.

2. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    open letter to the sheep:

attacking a guy like JCM is predictable and childish - if he were spouting off your selfish views you'd be kissing his stick - and why exactly are his views marginal and insignificant? he's a citizen of this country just like anybody else - in fact, he's raised millions to help our nation's struggling farmers... WTF have you done?

3. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    I just find it funny that those that disagree with Bush or his policies think the country is being "hijacked" or that we're living in a "fascist state." People didn't like Clinton for a variety of reasons but only those on the fringes thought the country was being "hijacked" under his presidency. The same can be said of the knee-jerk Bush haters. If enough people think the country is headed in the wrong direction then he'll easily be defeated next year, right? Kerry, Dean, Liberman - they're all up to the task, aren't they?

4. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    none of which has anything to do with my post - i've never used the terms 'hijack' and 'fascist state' - and i hated W long before he came into the oval office - i also am curious how 40-something% of the country qualifies as 'fringe' - face it: the fact that a low-quality stable of demo-competitors is even threatening bush in polls is quite telling - so yeah i pray (not something i am wont to do) that he gets rightly booted and the good ol' US can get back to a platable level of corruption - as for clinton... he would still pound W if able to run

5. Harry Ottis Guff

Harry Ottis Guff BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 2, 2003
    Im gonna slap you!
    BLUE- YOU ARE VERY WRONG, VERY WRONG INDEED!

6. Harry Ottis Guff

Harry Ottis Guff BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 2, 2003
    Im gonna slap you!
    blue you are very sexy in blue

7. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

i think the attendant who lets you roam free from your padded room should be fired

8. champmanager

champmanager Member

Dec 13, 2001
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Kazakhstan
    YOU ARE WRONG BLUE DADDY, VERY VERY WRONG!

9. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
    Hey, he can say whatever he wants, whenever he wants. More power to him.

Moreover, I didn't say HIS views are marginal and insignificant. It's YOUR views -- and those shared by others like you -- that fall into those categories.

"Attack?" Look, pal, learn the meaning of the word. There's a difference between "attacking" and "pointing out an irony."

Of course, further evidence that leftists like you just LOVE to blur distinctions, and refuse to see nuances.

However, when you do say "WTF have you done?" that is a throat-screaming, fist-clenching, neck-vein bulging, attack. Make sure you gargle regularly to avoid laryngytis.

My contributions to charity and my good works are none of your g-ddamn business. Now take that metaphorical pitchfork our of your metaphorical gluteus.

10. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Your point I think was that John Cougar Puma Alley Cat Mellen-head issued a press release (most likely not written by him) and somehow we should all say "wow! he's such an astute observer of American society because he's a famous rock star who's raised money for charity (**good PR**) his views are so much better than the average American's." He's free to say what he wants & we're free to say "John Cougar Mountain Lion - your views don't mean sh!t to me." Freedom of speech cuts both ways.

Bruce Springsteen is a good musician & raises money for charity but his political views are worthless to me as well. Same with Cat Stevens/Yusuf Islam, Rage Against the Machine & Ted Nugent.

11. Levante

Levante Member+

Jul 28, 2001
    Dude, we are cool. We used to peg our pants in the early 90's and watch 90210 on T.V. If that isn't cool, I don't know what is.

Anyways......

Ohio gets made fun of more in the media for it's good "wholesome" traits and the ignorance of their populace.

Hey aren't you from Ohio?

12. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    1-nope that wasn't it

2-this is more childishness - please favor with how you know that the issue doesn't actually matter to him

3-again not the point... but now that you mention it... apparently so - the average american wanted the war AND a tax cut

4-go crazy, just realize that the 'he is famous so his opinions are worthless' argument is about the stupidest one you can forward

5-that's really unfortunate dude that no one can have any effect on you, no one can provoke an iota of thought - you are obviously above allowing any outside influence whatsoever on your views and if you've reached the point where you can't learn from someone else or (gasp!) rethink a position every now and then... well i guess we can just forward your mail to the ivory tower

13. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

let me ask you KK, are YOUR views marginal and insignificant?

now i will sum up the rest of your post:

[​IMG]

14. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Unlike many shallow suckups, i don't rely on celebrities to shape my ideas on politics or anything else. Not that they're necessarily always uninformed, but many of them jump on the "cause du jour" for no other reason than to make themselves look important. Sorry for being a free-thinker.

Here's another prime example of celebrity idiocy:

Pam Anderson's Death Remarks Disputed

Pamela Anderson made headlines this week with her shocking prognostication that she only had 10 years to live due to her affliction with hepatitis C. The 36-year-old former "Baywatch" star told US Weekly magazine, "I think I've got a good 10 years left in me, which is sad. Maybe 15, if I'm lucky. It's scary, but lately I've been feeling great. For some reason, my liver keeps getting healthier." Her comments have wreaked havoc among other hepatitis C patients and sparked outrage among some doctors, reports PEOPLE Daily.

"This 10-year window she's given herself is her fantasy--not anything I can think of clinically," Massachusetts-based clinical practitioner Richard S. Ferri, who edits NumedX, a national medical journal that deals with hepatitis C, explained to PEOPLE. He went so far as to call her comments "inflammatory," largely because of the chilling effect they have had on other hepatitis C patients. "There's no reason to believe that a person who is hepatitis-C positive would not be able to live a full and rich life with the treatments that are available today," Ferri emphasized.

Anderson's comments struck a nerve. Teresa Hanbey, founder and executive director of the Hepatitis C Outreach Project in Portland, Ore., told PEOPLE that because of what Anderson said, "My phone lines are lit up and there are e-mails from desperate and scared patients who think they, too, are going to die soon." Hanbey says it just goes to show how ill-informed Anderson is about her own disease. Example: On "Larry King Live," Anderson worried about getting "psoriasis" from her hepatitis, rather than accurately saying "cirrhosis." Anderson, who says she contracted the disease from a dirty tattoo needle, is not undergoing traditional medical treatment. Instead, she is using a homeopathic remedy that was concocted specifically for her.

15. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    i don't even know whrere to start with this ridiculousness - hmmm... well...

1-i in no way suggested that celebs should 'shape' your ideals, i suggested that they can have a valid viewpoint just like any other human

-still waiting on your method of observing who is into which cause for what poor reason...

-free thinker you say... maybe you should drop the 'thinker' part because you seem to have everything already figured out... no thought required for that

2-ohhhh okay... if pamela freakin' lee is an idiot about hepC then i guess JCM is an idiot too! great point, you win! now excuse me while i repair the hole my tongue has made in my cheek :rolleyes:

16. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Does it make you feel sooooo goooood that an idiot who's not even bright enough to quit smoking after suffering heart attacks in his early 40s holds the same political ideas as you? Is validation from celebs. that important?

17. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    first of all, i don't agree with everything he says - second of all, you've once again managed to raise a point that miraculously has nothing to do with the issue (habitual smoker=political dimwit) - finally... and i hope it sinks in this time... MY POINT: his views are not suddenly meaningless because you have heard his songs and seen his videos - if you disagree with him... wonderful for you - yet you question his motives (yeah like speaking out against bush is a great career move) and you trash his stance supposedly because he's famous... the reality is you don't like what he's saying so you come up with these false reasons to discount him - if he was singing your tune, however, none of these "points" of yours would come up and you'd be in here defending him

18. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    his views are no more important than the drunk spouting off down at the local bar. the difference is....and I hope this sinks in....he THINKS his views are much more important because of who he is. he also gets free, nationwide distribution of his ideas. same with babs streisand and rush limbaugh and alec baldwin. anyone with any influence whatsoever nowadays thinks it's OK to let the world know how they're feeling on any issue - regardless of their knowledge on the subject. i'm sure that bubblehead jessica simpson has views on bush too. doesn't mean we need to hear 'em.

e-mail john cougar and question him on how he'd handle the issues facing the nation. should give us some good laughs.

19. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    1-check back: i never upgraded his views - you and other posters downgraded them... there is a difference

2-once again, please share with us how you are privy to john cougar's thought process since you seem to know his every motive and arrogance

3-be honest - if you had a public forum would you share your views with the nation? if you say no... then you're either swiss or lying - if you say yes... then what are you really complaining about?

20. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    FIXED..

21. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
  22. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
  23. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    C'mon! That didn't elicit a bit of laughter? If she can make Joey & Ross mend fences then CERTAINLY she can resolves centuries old conflicts. Don't ya think?

24. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    so the hell what? am i supposed to ridicule them for putting themselves in danger to at least make an effort? even the palestinian dude at the end of the article said that they have the potential to be heard because they are not politicos - if it is a silly attempt... and it certainly mat be... doesn't change the fact that it is an attempt and i am in no position to piss on that - are you?

25. Mel Brennan

Mel Brennan PLANITARCHIS' BANE

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As DeNiro said best (as the character "Sam," in Frankenheimer's RONIN), "You're either
    part of the problem, part of the solution, or a part of the landscape."

While there may be debate as to whether or not the acts of Pitt and Aniston are solutions or problems, you (and to a certain extent I, and many others here) are currently part o' the landscape.

So match their acts, DO something, or, in my eyes, your ridcicule for those two should be saved for yourself.

In addition, do you have some criticism for the content of their statement, as opposed to criticism of their decision to step outside of expected norms and actually reflect a position on a difficult issue?