Mellencamp: It's Time to Take Back Our Country

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Mel Brennan, Oct 23, 2003.

1. Mel Brennan

Mel Brennan PLANITARCHIS' BANE

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here:

...The song "To Washington" was met with criticism and was labeled an anti-war song. That was not at all the case or intention; it was merely a report of the political climate, in the age-old tradition of the troubadour spreading the news through song and story. Professionally, we, the Mellencamps, have the opportunity to travel extensively, and we take full advantage of that by talking to, listening to, and experiencing the diversity our vast country has to offer. The lyrics of "To Washington" are not just a personal opinion, but also the view from a very wide horizon.

Who is to say what is or isn't "patriotic?" Do the flags that wave from every minivan really offer any support? Where is the support for the thousands of service men and women who return to the states to see their benefits cut, their health problems ignored, their jobs gone and their families living in poverty? How are they repaid for their efforts; for risking or losing their lives? So far, dismally.

This nation was founded to enable freedom and diversity of opinion, and many lives have been lost to secure that liberty. Paradoxically, some still resist the open mindedness that is the very foundation of this country.

The Governor of California was removed from office based on finance troubles. And yet George W Bush has lied to us, failed to keep our own borders secure, entered a war under false pretense, endangered lives, and created financial chaos. How is it that he hasn't been recalled? Perhaps this time we could even have a real election . . . but that wouldn't fit the Bush administration's "take what you want and fire people later" policy. Take an election; take an oil field; take advantage of your own people -- a game of political Three-Card Monte.

The fight for freedom in this country has been long, painful, and ongoing. It is time to take back our country. Take it back from political agendas, corporate greed and overall manipulation. It is time to take action here in our land, in our own schools, neighborhoods, farms, and businesses. We have been lied to and terrorized by our own government, and it is time to take action. Now is the time to come together.

2. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    We support you all the way.

Sincerly,

Nobody

3. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    "Terrorized" is a strong word. I can't think of anyone who's been terrorized by the govt. Especially a pampered rock star reading from a press release written by someone else.

Smoke another carton you corny, black-lunged, no talent.

4. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    Well, for starters, there's nothing in the US Constitution that provides for recalling a President. Idiot.

5. Garcia

Garcia Member

Dec 14, 1999
    Castro Castro
    He lied to me in the 80s when he told me he was John Cougar and a cool guy.

It turns out that he is named John Mellancamp and from Indiana. Nobody from Indiana is cool. It is a law or something.

6. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    What about Dave Letterman?

7. Garcia

Garcia Member

Dec 14, 1999
    Castro Castro
    What about him?

Another dork from Indiana.
    He used to do the freaking weather on local TV!

8. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Never thought I'd see the day when a black guy had to prop up Mellencamp against some white trash and a Peruvian restauranter.

My world's turned upside down or somethin.

9. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    I heard him do a version of "Jack & Diane" while sucking oxygen through a tube. Good stuff.

10. mannyfreshstunna

mannyfreshstunna New Member

Feb 7, 2003
    Naperville, no less
    And got fired for complimenting a former tropical storm that made it to hurricane status.

11. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ole' John needs to fix IU football before anything else.

12. csc7

csc7 New Member

Jul 3, 2002
    DC
    god i love letterman

13. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    priceless!

almost as good as Mel preaching to himself in the rubber room..

14. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    The only difference between Republicans and Democrats is that the Republicans don't really care if everyone knows that they are whores for big business.

If someone is advocating a viable third party (even if it is this jackass) I am all for it. But I assume by "taking back" the government, he means that he is a democrat. Which means in the end he is just wanting a return to the under the table/in some buddhist temple/steal our nuclear secrets money grubbing whore rather than the corporate america has its *#*#*#*# right up our ass money grubbing whores that we currently have in office. There are very few "democrats" with principles anymore.

15. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Jackson 5 were from Gary, Indiana

16. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, but that's practically Chicago anyway. It's like calling El Paso a part of Texas...

17. mannyfreshstunna

mannyfreshstunna New Member

Feb 7, 2003
    Naperville, no less
    NEW YORK CITY??????

Sorry, i had to.

18. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Re: Re: Mellencamp: It's Time to Take Back Our Country

i'd think he was trying to make a point and not actually suggesting a presidential recall

19. Daksims

Daksims New Member

Jun 27, 2001
    Colorado
    Re: Re: Re: Mellencamp: It's Time to Take Back Our Country

He may well have been which proves he needs to stay out of politics and focus on his non-political songwriting.

20. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Mellencamp: It's Time to Take Back Our Country

wouldnt it be nice if they all did....

21. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The guy should just go back into hiding in his pink house. :D

22. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
    THIS from a guy whose record label is a division of Sony.

Sigh.

For those of you out there who think hypocrisy is THE worst failing of all -- and I know there are many of you -- here, ladies and gentlemen, is your poster boy.

23. champmanager

champmanager Member

Dec 13, 2001
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Kazakhstan
    Yea, he should dump sony and live in a van down by the river.
    Then I'm sure you'd respect him.

24. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
    Hoo boy...do you get it?

Apparently not.

HE'S the one saying 'corporate greed', not me.

OTHER'S, largely of a leftist stripe, are elevating hypocrisy as a terrible failing, not me.

Of course, this inability to process information logically, and the invariable inclination to imprint their own sensibility on any situation, dooms the vast majority of leftists to marginality and insignificance.

25. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

And here, ladies and gentlemen, is your poster boy.