News: Meira joins Galatasaray

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by obscene, Jul 23, 2008.

1. obscene

obscene Member

Jan 20, 2008
    Tri-State
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Stuttgart's Portuguese international defender Fernando Meira has signed a four-year deal with Galatasaray, Turkish side announced on their website Wednesday.
    "Following an agreement with Stuttgart at the end of long negotiations Fernando Meira has signed a four year contract," Galatasaray revealed.
    The contract was inked in the German city of Duisburg, where the Turks are on pre-season training. Turkish daily Sabah had Tuesday reported that Meira would be receiving an annual salary of 1.75 million euros with Stuttgart receiving a fee of four million euros.
    Meira, 30, joined Stuttgart in 2001 and had been club skipper for the past two seasons, winning the Bundesliga title in 2007. He also featured at UEFA EURO 2008 for his country.
    Stuttgart have signed Dutch international Khalid Boulahrouz from Chelsea as Meira's replacement.
    source: http://www.fifa.com/worldfootball/clubfootball/news/newsid=831402.html

this caught me off guard. galatasaray are the turkish champs, but he's easily their best defender now, he should've gone to Italy or Spain IMO.

2. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    He likes the challenge, and the money isn't bad either.

3. Holy__Joe

Holy__Joe Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 31, 2007
    Manchester
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    They seem to be attempting to build a team that can go a bit further in the CL but I still dont see them doing anything new tbh

4. nanni

nanni Member

Mar 3, 2007
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    son of a....................:(

5. ThespecialoneJM

ThespecialoneJM New Member

May 13, 2008
    San Jose
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    How was his overall performance last year? I saw a dip in form from the couple of games I saw.