Meh City - 2 Year Ban from Europe for FFP Breaches

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by newterp, Feb 14, 2020.

1. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    To a certain extent, Liverpool need to thank City for all of their cheating. There is no way Liverpool wins 25 out 26 games without the bar that City set. Without City we may have won the league a few times, but who would have pushed us to become one of the best teams the world has ever seen?

2. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Yes, there’s a certain truth there. Would Ali ever have been so good without Frazier? Borg/McEnroe? Celtics/Lakers? Real/Barca?

Often you need the bad guy (the other guy is always the bad guy) to make you dig deep and find your best.

3. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    When Southampton refused to let Van Dijk go to Liverpool over the summer, Klopp could have easily signed another centerback. He waited for Van Dijk because he was building a team to beat Pep Guardiola’s Manchester City. He was building a team to get 100 points. If that was not the standard, maybe he would have just signed some other centerback.

4. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    I was trying to figure who Frazier played for. Then I got it.

Red Bird repped this.
  5. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
  6. never walk alone TPK

Sep 27, 2004
    nairobi, kenya
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Kenya
    UEFA and the FA are corrupt. I would not be surprised if they overturn the decision. Pockets will be filled with cash.

7. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    How can you say that. No pockets were filled for World Cup Qatar or Sochi :rolleyes:

Wingtips1 and never walk alone TPK repped this.
  8. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's exactly what I said in my first post - after the appeal/bribes lets see where this stands. But in the interim - let's laugh at them!

never walk alone TPK repped this.
  9. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
  10. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Not a fan of retroactive title stripping. They didn't cheat on the field like the Astros. The "victory" would feel hollow and any celebration of it would be open to ridicule.

Wingtips1 repped this.
  11. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Its like the Melbourne Storm in the NRL down here with their salary cap rorting. They stripped them of their premierships, but didn't award them to the Grand Final loser, there just is no winner that year.

12. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Softball bar side at Cheer.....
    ;)

usscouse repped this.
  13. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

Yeah - stay the hell away from that kind of rubbish...

they won the league on the field. The club may have messed around, but such is life.,......

14. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    As a general principle I think its a bunch of cr@p..... if Sheik whatever wants to pay an exorbitant fee for advertizing on a hoarding, or premium access to the best box in the stadium, who is to say he can't pay the price being asked? Its nonsense. The market is what people are prepared to pay.
    If they are allowed to charge 10,000 then they must be allowed to charge 10M, because its obviously not worth 10,000 in the first bloody instance. This is the problem with this stuff.

or, ask it like this:
    Why is Gold priced more than glass? It is less useful.

15. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    An independent 3rd party wouldn’t pay 10m for a box. They might well pay 10,000.

An independent 3rd party would pay more for gold than glass.

So it’s really not that hard to figure out.

soccershaggy and Red Bird repped this.
  16. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    The problem for me ,247 is what is an appropriate punishment for City? Clearly their cheating has shovelled vast amounts of cash into the club and allowed them to sign some of the best talent in world football. That cheating has given City an unfair advantage over clubs like Liverpool who have played within the rules.
    We came up just short in 2014 and again last season .
    While I'm not necessarily in favour of Liverpool being awarded the title retroactively in either case
    I wouldn't object to City being stripped of the title in one or both seasons and instead have no champion listed in the books.
    Bottom line I don't think City should be allowed to retain a title and in the process be rewarded for cheating.

17. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm good with that (stripping them of a title and leaving it blank). I'm very good with them not getting CL football for 2 seasons (gods, I hope that stands). Transfer bans would be great too. Anything to let them know this is not ok for them to be above the law. Some clown in the desert who was born with the right family fortune doesn't get to just pick some random club and pump an insane amount of money in them to try and be successful. It inflates the whole system and tips the scales to an insane degree.

speker repped this.
  18. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    The first one or two of Inter's titles were as a result of Juve having titles stripped during the bribery scandal, no?

19. asitis

asitis Member+

Mar 30, 2005
    Charlottesville
    As I understand it, the period in question is 2012-2016, not that the cheating didn't extend beyond that. It seems to me that if the Premier League were to take action and strip titles, it would only be the titles "won" in 2012 and 2014.
    Further, it's hard for me to believe that City suddenly got religion and started abiding by the rules in 2016. I think there may be another shoe waiting to fall.

asitis

Samarkand and newterp repped this.
  20. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You got it. No chance - in fact I think the cheating got worse - as they now have more commercial revenue than Man United.

City - a small local club with no supporters, no international fan base, etc. all of a sudden has more revenue than Man U? Sure Sure.

Wingtips1 and asitis repped this.
  21. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Is it really that hard to believe though? I mean they are filled to capacity every game, even League Cup! :ROFLMAO:

Red Bird and newterp repped this.
  22. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Put it this way, if you were a scalper, you'd be losing money :D

[​IMG]