Megan Rapinoe to get Presidential Medal of Freedom

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by Bob Lamm, Jul 2, 2022.

1. Bob Lamm

Bob Lamm Member

Mar 7, 2016
    New York City
    The White House has announced that President Biden will award Presidential Medals of Freedom to 17 people (three of them deceased). Among the recipients will be USWNT star Megan Rapinoe, gymnast Simone Biles, the late U.S. Senator John McCain, actor Denzel Washington, early civil rights activist Rosa Parks, and the late Steve Jobs, co-founder of Apple. These awards will be presented at the White House on July 7th. The full list of recipients is in this article.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing...ipients-of-the-presidential-medal-of-freedom/

Auriaprottu repped this.
  2. Bob Lamm

Bob Lamm Member

Mar 7, 2016
    New York City
    Sorry about an error I made above. The late Rosa Parks is not one of the newest recipients. I'd read an article saying she was and then had decided to post the official White House statement. Should have checked it more carefully. I've now found that Rosa Parks was awarded a Presidential Medal of Freedom in 1998 by Bill Clinton.

Semblance17 repped this.
  3. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess I'll copy my posts in the News and Media thread here so it'll all be in the same place.

Rapinoe will be awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom at the White House on July 7:

A HUGE honor, but also I guess this means that she won't be in Mexico for the Jamaica game?

First reaction from Rapinoe:

And ends with this:

Press conference video after the announcement of Rapinoe receiving the Presidential Medal of Freedom that includes the above quotations:

Cliveworshipper and Bob Lamm repped this.
  4. Bob Lamm

Bob Lamm Member

Mar 7, 2016
    New York City
    Dear lil_one: Thanks for posting all this valuable information here. I'm sorry; I tend not to read the News and Media thread so I wasn't aware you'd already posted all this. I view this very special honor for Rapinoe as worthy of a thread of its own, but that is a judgment call. I'm never clear on what should or shouldn't get a stand-alone thread.

5. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was going to say, that's an insultingly late award for such a prominent figure.

Bob Lamm repped this.
  6. Bob Lamm

Bob Lamm Member

Mar 7, 2016
    New York City
    You'd have been quite right. I'm very sorry about my error.

As long as I'm writing about this... it is infuriating that so many people think of Rosa Parks as a tired African American woman who just didn't feel like moving to the back of a bus. That view is nonsense. Ms. Parks was, over many decades, a dedicated civil rights and anti-rape activist; her protest that day was planned in advance. See THE REBELLIOUS LIFE OF MRS. ROSA PARKS by the historian Jeanne Theoharis or SOUTHERN HORRORS: Women and the Politics of Rape and Lynching by the historian Crystal Feimster.

7. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clips of Biden calling the recipients:

Auriaprottu, sitruc and jnielsen repped this.
  8. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sitruc and jnielsen repped this.
  9. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I cant help but wonder WHY? Did she get it for kneeling during the national anthem? Or maybe for refusing to face the flag when it's being played? or was it for her endless protests about her cause de jour? She even had to protest at this event for that woman held in Russia for drugs. Or is it simply because she is a gay, loud mouthed woman? Im surprised she would even accept this award? Makes her a bit of of hypocrite doesnt it? All she does is knock this country but she still shows up to accept an award? Of course Biden also got the same award for no apparent reason too so i guess it really isnt worth much anymore

Romario'sgurl repped this.
  10. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    Because she courageously fights for civil rights. Something you obviously care little about. Since your rights as a white male have not been trampled upon, and you clearly are not for equal rights, perhaps you should sit this one out. Your post is disgusting to be honest.

sitruc, McSkillz, jnielsen and 4 others repped this.
  11. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

There is nothing intrinsically disrespectful about kneeling. Billions of Catholics kneel in church as an act of reverence. The other Abrahamic religions all do it as well. It’s even in the Bible in Isaiah 45:23

The idea that it’s disrespectful of the flag is a meme that people who disagree with her use as a put down to avoid dealing with the issues she is bringing up. Attack the person, not the issue.

the idea of kneeling was proposed to Colin Kaepernich by a decorated army veteran to show respect and still get a point across about police brutality towards blacks, which were later born out by several cold blooded murders by police officers that eventually resulted in life sentences for the murderers. It t was a very effective way to bring a huge racism issue before the public.

but unless you were comatose during the protests and conviction for the murder or George Floyd by police officer Derek Chauvin and other cases, you knew that.

the NWSL and USsoccer figured it out and reversed their policies towards expression, maybe you need to make an effort to educate yourself. It’s now a world wide means of expression no matter what flag you revere.
    https://www.news18.com/cricketnext/...r-t-shirts-with-message-of-unity-4373972.html

Dundalk24, bigredfutbol, sitruc and 4 others repped this.
  12. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    #12 Smallchief, Jul 9, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2022
    Rapinoe's act of kneeling was not without consequences for her. She didn't play in another match for the WNT for eight months or so. Supposedly, she was injured, but it was obvious that the Soccer Federation was trying to get rid of her.

What prompted her return was that the WNT realized they desperately needed her on the field. We had recently lost matches with England and France, but when Rapinoe came back it became obvious that she was the best player on the pitch. (Argue with that if you wish!)

I admire people who take a stand -- and suffer consequences as a result. Most of us don't have the guts to take a risk with consequences. At the same time, I don't blame other players for keeping their mouths shut. A lesser player than Rapinoe who bent a knee at that time would have been summarily exiled from the game by the powers that be. Rapinoe is privileged, as she admits, and she is using her privilege for what she perceives as good.

So, now she's going to the f-ing White House. Congats, Pinoe.

Dundalk24, sitruc, McSkillz and 5 others repped this.
  13. Bob Lamm

Bob Lamm Member

Mar 7, 2016
    New York City
    Thanks to yrts, Cliveworshipper, and Smallchief for your strong statements on behalf of Megan Rapinoe and on behalf of social justice. Thanks to JanBalk and FanofFutbol for repping one or more of your statements. It's a shame that we have to see ugly expressions of sexism, racism, homophobia, and transphobia on a message board about women's soccer. But alas we do... while Megan Rapinoe, Colin Kaepernick, and so many others have to face these poisons in infinitely more painful and dangerous ways.

I especially appreciate the statement by Smallchief: "I admire people who take a stand--and suffer consequences as a result." And I agree with yrts in calling a post above "disgusting."

sitruc, McSkillz, jnielsen and 2 others repped this.
  14. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    She better do it quickly. Her career is virtually over and once that happens, nobody will care what she thinks or says. I dont see a spot for her if the healthy people return. Macario, Sam Mewis, Ertz, and maybe Press could all return. Where does that leave Rapinoe it they do?