Meet the New USSF CEO, WIll Wilson

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by manfromgallifrey91, Mar 23, 2020.

1. manfromgallifrey91

Swansea City
    United States
    Jul 24, 2015
    Wyoming, USA
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.si.com/soccer/2020/03/23/us-soccer-ceo-will-wilson

"Wilson, 52, comes to U.S. Soccer from the Wasserman sports agency, where he was an executive vice-president and co-head of football for the last eight years. He’s an uncle of Andrew Luck, whom he signed as Wasserman’s first American football client in 2012.

Wilson also spent four years as an executive with Soccer United Marketing and Major League Soccer managing all their international business relationships. The past connection to SUM, which has a deep business relationship with U.S. Soccer, will raise concerns from some critics who have said the federation is too close to a company that financially benefits the owners of MLS. But that didn’t appear to be a big concern for the U.S. Soccer board of directors, which gave Wilson its unanimous approval in a vote on Sunday."

Cordeiro still on the board as well, just like Sunil was. Interesting football background but from what I could find pretty limited to SUM business deals and not much soccer experience.

What are your thoughts?

IndividualEleven repped this.
  2. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    TimB4Last repped this.
  3. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    MLS/SUM experience and an over 20 year relationship with Garber. What could go wrong?

Ghost, UncagedGorilla, jnielsen and 2 others repped this.
  4. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Winoman repped this.
  5. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
  6. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Not surprised at all.

7. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    I guess the MLS/Garber is taking over the USSF now?

8. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Probably because his first name is the same as Wil Trapp's except for one letter.

9. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Garber reportedly recused himself when the name came up for consideration. Is the soccer world so small that our federation officials can’t find anyone to nominate without prepping for COI and nepotism charges? Here’s a crazy idea: name someone from outside the old boy network.

Edit: or as our friend @Susaeta just tweeted:

1242215397153103874 is not a valid tweet id

sXeWesley, nobody, SCSAutism and 3 others repped this.
  10. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Not as much of a home run hire as I'd like; I'd have prefer to gotten someone higher up in the NBA and perhaps with less soccer experience.

That said, the pro/rel crowd will boo the SUM/MLS connection, but the reality is that his job is largely marketing, and SUM has been largely effective at promoting. The USSF surplus is almost entirely from their successful, somewhat last minute execution on Copa America in the US.

It would a problem to send someone into media and sponsorship negotiations with no background. And he speaks Spanish and isn't Berhalter or another internal candidate.

But I still would have preferred someone higher up elsewhere.

11. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a good thing his name isn't Georgge! :eek:

12. Doogh

Doogh Member+

Oct 5, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Amused by some of these responses judging a person who they haven't even heard of until earlier today.

Pegasus repped this.
  13. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    @miladmaz12 is a terrible person and cannot be trusted

14. Doogh

Doogh Member+

Oct 5, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Huh?

15. Bobbyho36

Bobbyho36 Member

Aug 8, 2007
    NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My guess is it's a joke since I'm assuming he's never met you.

Winoman repped this.
  16. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the surface, an underwhelming hire. For an organization so desperate for new blood and new ideas, making yet another insider hire just screams “tone deaf” from USSF.

What would it have hurt to have brought in a higher-ranking NBA person?

sXeWesley and Patrick167 repped this.
  17. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    Yeah, like everyone else, I've never heard of this guy, but I'm disappointed they seemingly can't bear to appoint anyone outside the USSF/MLS/SUM nexus to any leadership position. I'm not even a big USSF/MLS/SUM conspiracy theorist; it just seems so obvious that the entire organization needs someone external to look at how things operate with a fresh set of eyes.

18. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    not a player from a 94, 98 or 02 world cup squad, has never been as assistant under arena or bradley.

dudes basically a complete outsider!

Zamphyr, deejay, sXeWesley and 3 others repped this.
  19. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Looking at attendance and TV ratings, I wouldn't call any marketing by SUM a success. But that is for another thread...

CEO is not primarily a marketing position. That is the CCO. CEO runs the whole organization, not just the marketing organization. I doubt Flynn had any impact on marketing other than approving their budget.

Hiring Garber's friend, Jay's brother, who else knows how many in the organization were placed there through contacts. Even if it is just a perception problem, it is a problem. A little shocking they didn't hire any of the other 10 million possible candidates that are not friends with the MLS commissioner just to get away from the negative perception.

Also,"Andrew Luck's agent", who probably got the job primarily because he is his uncle, is hardly the resume people were expecting. Maybe the job doesn't pay enough or the fact you will be deposed every other day made better candidates turned off. But it is the kind of underwhelming resume that is in line with middling MLS coach, Sports announcer, and Philly Union GM.

However, it usually doesn't go well when you hire someone to manage a company of 200 people with no experience managing a company of that size.

sXeWesley, Winoman and DHC1 repped this.
  20. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he's Andrew Luck's uncle is he related to Oliver Luck? He could be an uncle on the mom's side. Oliver Luck was a good GM for a hated rival who was there when they were good and had good attendance (Houston has since proven that a downtown stadium is no panacea). I'd say a little knowledge of SUM but 10 years ago is not a deal breaker. Other than that I don't know anything about the guy. As to if others were brought in who knows? I imagine anyone interviewing wanted complete privacy unless they said yes so that they wouldn't lose their current gig.

21. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those Higher-ranking NBA people would need to want to be a part of the tire fire that is Soccer House....

That is a really naive statement....He's a decorated US International, had a long professional career in Europe, and after retiring was a successful technical director, and director of Football for various Dutch Clubs for over a decade prior to coming to MLS.

tomásbernal and gogorath repped this.
  22. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    do you think this is a good hire for the USSF?

23. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #23 jaykoz3, Mar 24, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
    Not taking the bait.

I don't know who this guy is, nor had I heard of him prior to yesterday's announcement. So I don't know.

When he was at SUM, he primarily dealt with the FMF. Which, if one was looking at the broader picture, would make some sense with the 2026 World Cup coming up. That was likely a factor in the hiring, seeing as the USSF is hosting the 2026 World Cup with Mexico and Canada. Having those previous relationships with FMF officials could be considered a positive.

I honestly don't know if this is a good hire or not.

24. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Some mid-table Dutch clubs he did well and he was less successful in MLS, maybe for obvious reasons. He did not run Manchester United or even Ajax. Berhalter coached the Columbus Crew, not Real Madrid or Bayern Munich. All great former players on not great national teams.

It is better than former lacrosse coach or former college coach. It is better than economist playing GM on the side. But none of these hires are at the top of their field and never were.

So, is Wilson. Time will tell. But if USSF was going to hire a Garber flunky, it would look a lot like him.

The best thing, supposedly, is that Cordeiro insulated the sports side from the business side.

How Wasserman fits in is unknown to me.

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  25. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    it’s kinda BS to take shots at other people’s comments if you aren’t willing to take a position.

IIRC, you’re a big MLS fan so the potential conflict between MLS/SUM and the USSF may not bother you as you may want MLS to benefit.

however, it was clear that there’s a strong appearance of conflict of interest between the parties (as stated by multiple people involved with USSF including the outgoing Chairman) as well as a rather clear case of too much inside baseball.

There can be little doubt that this is a terrible terrible outcome if you’re a believer in fresh thinking and/or more transparency.

sXeWesley repped this.