me voy a mi primero partido (dáme consejos por favor)

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by FairWeatherFan, Oct 2, 2003.

1. FairWeatherFan

Sep 9, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I´m an American student in Toledo right now, and I´m going to my first La Liga game this Sunday to see Real play Espanyol. I would like to know (from those of you who are Madrid residents or have been to games before) if you have any advice or suggestions for where I can go to join a tailgate or meet people or talk with fans before and after the game. I speak a good amount of Spanish, so it would not be a problem to meet people who only speak Spanish.

Also, is it possible to buy clothing or scarves with the "Ultras Sur" name on it? or is that only sold to real ultras? I thought it would be nice to have an Ultras Scarf because currently I only have one for the american team that I cheer for...the Chicago Fire.

Liam, if you´re out there, I´m trying my best to find you a cool scarf.

thanks,
    Flynn

2. Juanele

Juanele Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Colorado, US
    I'm sure you can find many bars around the stadium that have fans before and after the game. There is not a tailgate culture in Spain like there is in the US if that's what you're looking for. An Ultra Sur scarf eh? I'm not sure I'd want to be associated with Ultra Sur but to each their own (there should be quite a few vendors around the stadium).

3. bkn0528

bkn0528 Member

Aug 2, 2003
    nyc
    maybe you should think twice about supporting the ultra sur. not the nicest people. there are bars at the south end of the stadium where you can load up on cheap beer (1 euro per glass) before the game, and while it's true there isn't "tailgaiting" per se there are people spilling out of these bars into the streets and so it almost feels like it. they don't sell alcohol in the stadium so have a few drinks there if you like before the match and enjoy the atmosphere. just don't get trampled by one of the policemen on horseback who're there to keep the ultra sur in check.

4. gento

gento New Member

Jun 24, 2002
    Valencia(Spain)
    Anyone can buy clothes or scares with the Ultra Sur name on it,you dont need to be a real Ultra Sur to buy it.There are(in game days) many vendors of Real Madrid products around the Santiago Bernabeu;If you want specifically products withe the Ultra Sur name on it,you may go the Marcelino Santamaria street:it is next to the Stadium,and Ultra Sur are there before the games.Ochaita,one of the most famous Ultra Sur,sells some stuff before the games.
    I highly recommend you to NOT go there(Marcelino Santamaria street) if you are black.
    And about the rest,I recommend you go to the Stadium 1 hour and a half before the game,drink some beer in one of the many pubs around the Stadium,enjoy the athmosphere and entry to the Stadium 40-30 minutes before the game.

5. MadridForever

MadridForever Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    I don't recomend you buy a ultrasur scarf. First reason, not all but many ultra sur are violent people, not a good example to follow. Second, if you buy one, you must hide it outside the stadium, if you are walking in Madrid with the scarf and a holligan of "Atletico de Madrid" see you, you can have problems.

Like Gento said don't go to the Marcelino Santamaria street. It's the Ultrasur zone. Anything will happen if you go to that street, i have walked along that street many times, but if something happen will happen in that street.

I had gone to the Bernabeu since i was child and i have never had any problem, the 99.9% of the people is very friendly, supporting the team with passion but anything else. I/We only tell you the zone where you can find some holligans.

You can buy all kind of Real Madrid Scarves in many little stands that exists around the stadium. I recomend you to buy the classic "Darkblue with white letters". That is the most famous Real Madrid scarf, and it 's the scarf that wear almost all the Real Madrid supporters. Here you have a picture of some of my scarves. The first, and the second are the "classic", the third is the official centenary scarf. My favourites are the first and the second. The first one is 15 years old, it is very old but its my lucky scarf.

http://es.geocities.com/deckcob/MyRealMadridScarves.JPG

There are a lot of "bares/pubs" around the stadium. You can drink there "minis" - a plastic glass of 1/2 liter - of beer, whisky & coke, gin & lemon .... or you can drink normal beer. In some of them you can eat the typicall "tapas" and you can also buy "bocadillos" to eat in the game. Those bares are full of supporters until the time of the game.

In the stadium you have restaurants - Pizza hut and others - but like bkn0528 said you can buy alcoholic drink inside the stadium.

If you can buy official RM merchandaising, there are two official RM stores in/near the stadium, the first one is near the "gate 0/Puerta 0", the other one is in the Mall of the south-east zone of the stadium in the second floor. But if you want to buy only scarves i would buy them in the stands around the stadium.

I recomend you, go to the stadium 1 hour or 1 and a half before the game, go to some bar drink something, walk around the stadium, feel the atmosphere, buy something in the stands or official stores and later enter in the stadium 30 minutes, 20 minutes before the game.

Well, i hope that you pass a great time in the Bernabeu. :)

Hala Madrid!!!

Ah, The game is a sold out since yesterday, i hope that you have tickets.

If you have another question/doubts, I/we am/are here to help you.

6. FairWeatherFan

Sep 9, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Thank you for your replies. I do already have a ticket, so I am really going. I do not know much about the Ultra Sur other than what you have just told me, but I asked about the Ultra Sur because I have a friend in the states (HalaMadrid on bigsoccer) who wanted me to purchase an Ultra Sur scarf for him. I enjoy being a very small hooligan for the Chicago Fire soccer team, and I thought it would be fun to have a scarf made for Spanish hooligans, but if they are racist then I don´t like them or want their scarves.

I will go early and enjoy tomorrow. Thank you again for your suggestions!

7. bkn0528

bkn0528 Member

Aug 2, 2003
    nyc
    so how was it?? La *#*#*#*# madre, tio!

8. FairWeatherFan

Sep 9, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The game was awesome! I did arrive a little early and wandered around and found some bars and merchants near the south end of the stadium. When I bought my ticket on the phone I had the option of a 90 Euro ticket or a 30 Euro ticket, so I bought the 30 Euro ticket because I am a student with not much money, and I thought that I would not mind sitting in bad seats. But somehow this 30 Euro ticket put me in the 4th row from the field near the North-East corner. The view was amazing. I felt like Figo was playing about 10 meters away from me, and I had a good view of him every time he became upset when Beckham did not pass the ball to him. It was a fun game and the fans around me were nice. Great atmosphere!

The Ultra Sur did not seem like an incredibly large section. Maybe 2.5 times bigger than what we have in Chicago. Do other La Liga España teams have bigger supporters sections?

Anyway, thank you all for your advice, and with any luck I will find a way to buy a ticket to at least one more game (I had enough trouble getting this first one, but it would be worth almost any trouble to get back for another game).