MD6: Empoli vs Roma (September 12th, 2022)

Discussion in 'AS Roma' started by Andreas, Sep 8, 2022.

1. Henchag

Henchag Member+

Aug 26, 2009
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Dybala's post at beginning of the game, Ibanez Header cleared by the line from Parisi, Pellegrini PK, Bove Chance, Belotti chance.
    We could have finished with 4 goals. But the bigger issue is we could have easily leaked in 3 goals. Empoli hit the post twice.
    If we want to be a good team, we need to be solid defensively and get clean sheets. I trust Mourinho to fix this in the future.

wm72 repped this.
  2. Indian_Gladiator

Sep 4, 2014
    Kolkata
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    I think this team will look good in a 4-3-1-2 formatn
    Patricio
    Celik--Smalling--Ibañez--Spina
    Wijnaldum--Matic--Pellegrini
    Dybala
    Zaniolo--Abraham​

3. decola

decola Member+

Sep 12, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Smalling seems a bit out of form since the Udinese game sadly

4. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    The finish was pure elegance but it was that first touch. That ball came back at him with pace, he kills it and pushes it just exactly far enough in front of him to strike it first time in stride. That is what makes him WC.

SF19, Shen-O and Nainggolan repped this.
  5. Nainggolan

Nainggolan Member+

Jun 4, 2021
  6. iGiallorossi

iGiallorossi Member+

Oct 4, 2010
    N.Ireland
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Our defensive frailty is worrying especially with it being such a strength last season. I don't think a back 4 solves anything as our best defender, Smalling has never looked good in a 4 and I don't see our midfield being any less porous by adding an extra body.

7. wm72

wm72 Member+

Dec 3, 2010
    New York
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

The confusing thing is that we've been worse defensively with Celik and Matic who are in theory defensive upgrades and with Ibanez being much more consistent than last season.

I don't know that adding the midfielder would make us less porous but it could help us not keep giving back the ball immediately and allowing teams like Ludagerets and Empoli to play on the front foot against us.

giallorosso86 repped this.
  8. Nainggolan

Nainggolan Member+

Jun 4, 2021
  9. decola

decola Member+

Sep 12, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Ah I see the Pellegrini haters have logged on

Nevermind the fact he carried us through many games last season and helped bring home a trophy, all forgotten in one summer, 5 games into the new season....

10. Andreas

Andreas Member+

May 1, 2011
    Netherlands
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece
  11. giallorosso86

giallorosso86 Member

Apr 28, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    St. Vincent and the Grenadines
    At the end of the day, Pellishit will never reach the level of De Rossi let alone Totti. I would even take an injured Aquilani over Pellishit.

12. Andreas

Andreas Member+

May 1, 2011
    Netherlands
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece
    Lol. Paulo*

13. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    He had many up and down moments last year as well and in important moments was hard to see standing up. If this team is to be consistent it basically lays on his shoulders. No mistake about it, the key player on this side if its to be as good as it can be is Pellegrini. Thats worrisome but its what Roma are dealt with.

He must learnt to control the midfield or else the team will be constantly relying on Zaniolo and Dybala's individual moments to create resulting in games that end up being tougher than they should. I can understand why Dybala gave him the pen, he gets it. They need Pellegrini to boss it.
    I am willing to give him time to adapt to CM as, again its hasnt helped he has been moved back to AM while Zaniolo has been injured but he needs to be flying in the position by Christmas at the latest. It might need to be drummed into his head everyday at training for months yet to accept, youre not playing in the 10 role anymore. Get to work and conduct the play from deeper. simples.

Oban14 repped this.