MD4: Roma vs Monza (August 30th, 2022)

Discussion in 'AS Roma' started by Andreas, Aug 27, 2022.

1. Nainggolan

Nainggolan Member+

Jun 4, 2021
  2. Midfield General

Jun 14, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nainggolan repped this.
  3. Nainggolan

Nainggolan Member+

Jun 4, 2021
    Just giving you updates on your favorite guy at the club.

Midfield General and La Magica repped this.
  4. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Roma played a great match!

Dybala tore it up.

I never liked him but I think Belotti may do well too and he almost scored if I’m not mistaken as I was working and was distracted.

Also , poor Monza!

Berlusconi said he will have a heart attack if they get relegated.

He has already spent 120 million on players.

Stroppa will probably get canned next week.

SF19 repped this.
  5. wm72

wm72 Member+

Dec 3, 2010
    New York
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    My man of the match was Tammy Abraham.

I've been very critical of his inability to compete for the numerous 50-50 long balls we launch his way. Tonight was a different story. Maybe Mourinho's words after Juve finally got through to him.

Or, maybe he looked over and saw Belotti on the bench.

For whatever reason, he FOUGHT to get into position for every long ball booted his way. He didn't win most of them cleanly and often his control was more OK than excellent but him just getting in there fighting for them allowed us to break Monza's pressure.

The first goal, for example, wasn't the glancing header Abraham intended but -- two of the most world class touches you'll ever see later -- it turned into a wonder goal from Dybala.

Last year we seldom punched minnow teams in the nose when they pressed us so high and it's why we dropped more points against them the other CL competitors.

With Dybala (as well as Zaniolo, Pellegrini, El Sha etc) to pick up rebounds all Abraham needs to do is give them chances to make plays and teams will get punished for pushing the extra defenders forward.

SF19 repped this.
  6. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Cristante will always cause an issue for a team that wants to try and dominate possession. There is no way around it, as valuable as he can be in big game home or away under a different approach. In games such as Monza, you need someone better on the ball, smoother, faster, more dominant. Whatever you want to call it, thats not what he brings and when he is pressed he will more often than not give it away or put his teammate in a bad spot. With a full squad, I think you will start to see him rested for these type of games and the team will be better for it. Its all good, there is a nice selection of cm's now.

When Pellegrini is slotted back to cm, it will take time. Its not ideal for him to be jumping back and forward when he is learning a new position. Theres also no way around this, him learning to balance his new role from wanting to join the front 3 and isolating his cm partner is going to cause issues. There is no way around this either other than game time while he learns. Maybe some bad goals will be given away but again, thats all process a footballer has to go through to learn he needs to do better. This is likely going to happen this season but as he is captain and I dont see him wanting to let Jose down, it will make him better. This will all cause disruption in team play as they learn. We also dont play in a vacuum where the match is all about Roma. Professional teams will be able to exploit these weaknesses. So when you take about reality, I am well aware of what is unfolding and it wont be all roses. Many posters couldnt see it being build last year. Foundations were being put in place. Sometimes is was ugly but there was fight being put into them. Thats Joses work that was put in day to day on the training pitch. People couldnt seem to step back from the game to game results (focusing on short term noise) and see what he was being put in place in mentality (long term trends) This was more crucial for a team like Roma than team play in year 1. This was always a project over multiple years and certain aspects must come first.

When I say I am excited, what I mean is because of the extra quality in attack and cover in general, the team while it grows over the season, (I dont expect instant quality football for the reasons above but) they will create 4 or 5 good chances in games now, sometimes out of nowhere such as the first goal last night. Thats game changing, it settles the side down and with a solid defensive mentality that isnt going to disintegrate now, well you know the rest. All those struggling draw games of last year can become 3 points consistently now. I only hope they dont pull off the same VAR shit as last year though.
    Comparing that to last year the the battles to create chances. Karsdorp was one of the teams most consistent creative outlets for a reason. It was a process the team had to go through and are now all the better for it.

Theres massive potential to continually rack up wins while learning to find their balance. The club is in a very good spot and I see Rudi year 1 vibes. That is the reality my friend. Now all that said, fcuk off injuries ;)

7. Nainggolan

Nainggolan Member+

Jun 4, 2021
    Top of the table at the end of August.

This is Jose Mourinho.

eric_appleby and Midfield General repped this.
  8. Rossonero23

Rossonero23 Member+

Sep 9, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Roma are clear title favorites

Andreas, whill4, Nainggolan and 2 others repped this.
  9. Midfield General

Jun 14, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Campioni di Agosto! Lol

falvo, Andreas and Nainggolan repped this.
  10. Rossonero23

Rossonero23 Member+

Sep 9, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    At least so far right ..

11. Ragnaroz

Ragnaroz Member+

Jan 31, 2010
    Paracin
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Serbia
    As long as we get to only play bottom feeders for the rest of the season. :cool:

12. windrepel

windrepel Member

May 11, 2021
    Wijnaldum injury ruined jose's ideal midfield, he was press resistant and good ball carrier which is why Mourinho pushed for another midfield signings with similar trait , hopefully camara can be quality addition to the team

13. Rossonero23

Rossonero23 Member+

Sep 9, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Half the table at least

14. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #64 falvo, Sep 1, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2022

You are correct!

Looking at the teams. with maybe the exception of Fiorentina, Udinese and maybe Toro and Sassuolo, after the top Sette Sorelle , I think everyone else risks relegation this year.

That is 9 teams who are on the cusp of going to Serie B.

Luckily for the others, unless Berlusca conjures up a few miracles, Monza will be relegated easily as will Cremonese.....

upload_2022-9-1_7-24-17.png