MD3: Juventus vs Roma (August 27th, 2022)

Discussion in 'AS Roma' started by Andreas, Aug 22, 2022.

1. Nainggolan

Nainggolan Member+

Jun 4, 2021
    1563669860827144193 is not a valid tweet id

2. Nainggolan

Nainggolan Member+

Jun 4, 2021
    1563672602081693697 is not a valid tweet id

1563672606007500802 is not a valid tweet id

3. wm72

wm72 Member+

Dec 3, 2010
    New York
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #103 wm72, Aug 27, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2022
    This match could be a huge positive in my opinion.

Juve dominated us for a half and you'd have to say came out the much more focused and aggressive team but it certainly showed a different team character than we've seen for a while to hang around and the steal the point.
    That's bigger than the individual issues in my opinion.

On the not so great side:
    Abraham: scored the header off Dybala's brilliant assist but he had a miserable match otherwise. Constantly not on the same page with the attack, never getting a clean first touch, complaining about not getting a pass when replay shows him on wrong side of the CB etc. . . Great to score the huge header but he'll need to sharpen up his overall game or Bellotti will be much more than a backup.

Matic: he's smooth on the ball but was surprisingly error prone defensively in the first half. The dumb foul in the most perfect position possible for a Vlahovic free kick at goal, turned like he was in stone by Rabiot leading to one of Juve's most dangerous counters. The worst though was his decision to defend absolutely no one instead of denying the cut back pass on the disallowed goal. It was the exact lack of awareness of the danger area that we've complained about from our "converted" DMs like Cristante but I expect a lot better from a true experienced DM like Matic. I hope that was all just first game rustiness.

Spina: a lot more miscues than just the horrible pass leading to the goal.

Dybala wasn't very sharp. Juve fouled him constantly and it seemed to work too well. However, no played we've had for a while makes that assist either.

On the bright side, Ibanez was straight up excellent. Smalling rock solid (as he's been for a while). El Sha seems to be in great form which is a huge boon with Zaniolo out. Zelensky was bright and Celik completely shut down Juve's attack from his flank.

Mourinho may have some work to do on attacking movements and how we handle pressing but you have to give him a ton of credit for the mindset to steal a point today when the run of play was decidedly against us.

ErPupone, Oban14 and shiboboo repped this.
  4. windrepel

windrepel Member

May 11, 2021
    Great freekick from vlahovic, could have done nothing about it. Shit first half but i feel like we could have won the game. In the end 1 point from alianz arena is a good results
    On to the next match

5. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    #105 La Magica, Aug 28, 2022
    No Jose, nope. We can talk about the start being that. Giving the ball away sloppily in side a minute. That is mentality. They did recover to about the 20 min mark. They were not great but they had some possession again. but Juve started to run rings through them with passing in the centre and that is a shape issue. Again, it does not matter if you have the right attitude if you are 5 yards out of position and chasing the ball. Watch that first half and specifically watch the central position and Pellegrini. Now anyone want to tell me how does mentality cover a hole the bus can drive to leaving Cristante and Matic all out to sea? In turn you then have counters running at the defence and everyone looks panicked Nobody is going to look good in this situation. There is a time to talk about mentality and there is a time that tactics play its part.
    I would say Jose knows he made a mistake but he is using his mind games again to use this incident to galvanise the players, us v them. Do better and further get them focused. He knows what he is doing. Fans shouldn't be fooled by his words here if you have followed Jose for long enough.

As for de rossis tattoo saying Karsdorp was an issue last year. lolz. Of many players in the first half, Karsdorp was one of a a few to come out of it ok, covering for Cristante on another poor giveaway. Kostic is the real deal. Celik is a better defender but benefited from the shape change, momentum shift in Romas favour and tiring legs. Karsdorp made one mistake at the end of his match. Its a great thing to have fresh legs of quality like Celik. That doesnt instantly discredit what karsdorp brings to the table and will bring going ahead. That guy used to make bad takes on here. I see nothing has changed.

6. Nainggolan

Nainggolan Member+

Jun 4, 2021
    No Jose said that about Karsdorp, not DDR tattoo, I watched the interview. I agree the formation was clearly wrong after 45 but we ( Spina) turns the ball over after 2 passes to start the match to give them the free kick. Unacceptable.

shiboboo and La Magica repped this.
  7. windrepel

windrepel Member

May 11, 2021
    Not really about tactical. I believe it's mentality issues as well , some of the players seems to have mental trauma against any club who wear stripes. Feeling inferior or something. That issues will be Mourinho's job to fix it. Putting more winners in the club certainly could help.

8. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    #108 La Magica, Aug 28, 2022

Again the very start can be considered a mental block but what unfolded after the 20 min on in the first half was a tactical issue which was corrected at half time. If he had just given them a pep talk at half time and they went out to try harder, what would have happened? Juve would have still ripped through them. We know Roma have had a mentality issue for decades that Jose has went some way to fixing last year but yesterday was more than that in the opening 45. You dont always have to suck him off when its clear he made a bad call.

shiboboo and Nainggolan repped this.
  9. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Yeah. That's harsh but perhaps he is giving him a kick in the ass. He did react negatively to being subbed in the last few mins in the previous game. Maybe a little bit of tension that needed addressed.

Yep, both can be right but Jose is making this out to be only mentality. Fact is the team recovered after to about the first 20 min mark. Then Juve seeing weak spots, readjusted and started to run rampant. From here, it's a Jose issue to not react sooner. He watched that unfold. When Fonseca, did the same. I called it out and the same has to go for Jose, as good as he is.

10. Matrim

Matrim Member+

Feb 10, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    The mistakes of the manager costed us much more that individual mistakes on this one.

I'm probably one of the people here who's more likely to give him the benefit of the doubt on most things, but he made a huge oopsie by starting with 3 in the back, he doubled-down on it by sticking with that tactic for 45 mins, then he finally changed it with almost immediate positive results, but chickened out o sticking with the 4 in the back formation for the restof the halfd, inviting immense pressure on our team once again and almost giving away the match to Juve once more.

The one situation where we could've made it 2:1 doesn't really compensate for us giving the control of the game back to Juve.

Jose let his players down much more than they let him down last night. Plain and simple.

11. Big Bad Wolf

Big Bad Wolf Member+

Dec 17, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Perhaps we can just say that nobody, manager inc', had a good game. Yet the major positive is despite this we came away from Turin with a good point.

12. Nainggolan

Nainggolan Member+

Jun 4, 2021
  13. Nainggolan

Nainggolan Member+

Jun 4, 2021

14. Wolfbeatseagle

Wolfbeatseagle Member+

May 7, 2007
    The Bermuda Tetrahedron
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Playing for the point was right at that moment. It invited pressure, as it always does, but we could've been down three at the half.

It was more important to not throw away the work we did to get a point than it was to chase three.

Haakon24 repped this.
  15. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Fair point however it can be argued from what we seen the best way to secure the point and possibly sneak a win was to continue with what they changed into at half time. They had no ideas and you could hear their fans were nervous. That shifted again the other way with the kumbulla sub. All things considered, a point gained but badly managed.

wm72 repped this.
  16. Nainggolan

Nainggolan Member+

Jun 4, 2021
    Jose mentioned in the post game he subbed on Kumbulla because of our lack of offensive substitutions (Gini, Zaniolo, No Belotti).

17. whill4

whill4 Moderator
    Staff Member

AS Roma
    Sep 11, 2011
    Returning Video Tapes
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m glad he’s still mad despite coming away with a point. The formation was wrong in the first half, but the amount of bad turn overs and general lack of intensity is worrying. Felt like they were playing not to make a mistake. Where as SES and Zalewski actually tried taking their makers on and making things happen.

Thankfully Kostic’s end product was bad, he was humiliating Karsdorp that entire half.

18. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Watched it back. Karsdorp got subbed not for losing the ball cheaply, that can happen but his reaction. He huffed with himself for the mistake and didn't track back. I can see the Jose immediate reaction to that. That's what was unacceptable.

whill4, Nainggolan, wm72 and 1 other person repped this.
  19. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Loved that he immediately yanked Karsdorp after jogging back on that turnover. Roma have options this season.

shiboboo repped this.