MD26 Cagliari vs Roma (March 1st, 2020)

Discussion in 'AS Roma' started by Midfield General, Feb 28, 2020.

1. Andreas

Andreas Member+

May 1, 2011
    Netherlands
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece
    I think we all agree Kalinic deserves to start again next match.

2. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I dont need to talk about his runs on this point. I already mentioned that from observing him during the match thread. The other long list of Dzeko issues doesnt need to be repeated. I am talking about a specific detail in the style of play. How he holds it up and links play. Thats those first time lay offs.

Dzeko just has a different style of link up that doesn't flow nearly as well. Doesnt mean I am saying he is not good at it. Just different styles suit different managers. Fonsecas game suits the more fluid movement.

The other game I refer to where Kalinic turned up with good link up play is a cup game if I remember correctly. Same thing in that game, clever touches and works for the team.

I make my calls on players pretty early and I have a good enough track record to be confident in my opinion of what Im watching. Will he get to prove me right though? Probably not because football does involve hierarchy's and Dzeko is number 1.

Dzeko one of the best passing strikers? yeah once every 2 months when he shows up. In case you have missed it, most of his games involves him making pathetic passes that constantly lose the play. The last example being against Gent. Claiming something is not up for debate though, just stop.

3. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    The team would be better for it as would Dzeko because he would get the reality check he needs. That would be a boss move from Fonseca. I dont know if he has it in him though.

Andreas repped this.
  4. Big Bad Wolf

Big Bad Wolf Member+

Dec 17, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Forget it. Not a notion what they're looking at.

La Magica repped this.
  5. muptonfish

muptonfish Member

Oct 10, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Fair enough

Midfield General repped this.
  6. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    Seems like the Samp game will be postponed.

7. Haakon24

Haakon24 Member+

Mar 15, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Not any different than your favorite phrase “anyone that has been paying attention can tell”, usually followed up by a completely subjective opinion.

You are comparing Kalinic on his best day to a dead tired Dzeko in his worst form in ages. Kalinic himself has played like crap for the last 2-3 years. Saying he’s better than Dzeko at link up play is very reactionary. Dzeko’s ball playing ability carried us in many games earlier in the season until he was ran into the ground, it’s clear as day that he is the better link up player. His current form doesn’t change his ability as a player.

If you take the top 10 playmaking performances by a Roma striker this season it would be 10 Dzeko performances and 0 from Kalinic, maybe 1. He has not been given many chances but he’s looked like a donkey more often than not. I’m all for giving the guy a chance to play but to suggest he is better than Dzeko at linking up based on what he’s shown so far is ridiculous.

8. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma

Yes sometimes I wonder when reading this forum if people are paying attention.

Of course its a subjective opinion. Everyone's opinion on football is subjective. Im giving you my opinion from what I know of the two players. Kalinic has been around long enough in the game to make an opinion on his general style of play and to have an idea of what he is about. He isn't come unknown prospect at this stage in his career. Coupled with the games he has started I can see it and doesn't make it ridiculous at all to make a call on him (imo). You dont agree and think its ridiculous. Thats ok.

He is very good at laying the ball off and making the play continuous. We will look better as a unit with him and Mika behind.

We all know what Dzeko is about. If either him or the other stiff idiot at the opposite end of the pitch last year even had average season, not even good ones, just average we would have made the Champions league. Thats including the mess Monchi made and the mistakes EDF made. Our mistake was not getting rid in the summer. We have seen enough times Dzeko being motivated at the start of the season and then melting around this time when he needs to dig in. I just dont care about him at this point.

He might even come back motivated by the Kalinic performance but Im not getting fooled by him again. Eventually he will return to default. Head down, not moving and acting like a spoiled child. He will continue to be no 1, get a goal now and then while missing 5 chances. Overall, the goals he scores for Roma dont overcome his issues because he doesn't make Roma a better side.

Dzeko
    Pellegrini
    Cristante

All these 3 need to be removed next season if Roma will go anywhere and players of top quality put in their place. If we dont see it this summer we will go nowhere again.

L'immortale repped this.
  9. tmontana52

tmontana52 Member+

Jul 10, 2007
    Philly- the 215
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Lorenzo dip in form doesn’t warrant him being sold or removed. People forget how crucial he was in the first half of the season.

Andreas and Haakon24 repped this.
  10. Haakon24

Haakon24 Member+

Mar 15, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    I don’t disagree on anything you said about Dzeko. If you take away the beginning of the season he has been crap for 2 years. But IMO he is crap because of his lack of running and arrogant decision making. His overall technical ability (including passing) are incredible and IMO even underrated. That is why I was so critical of him last season, because he has the ability to do it all but he just doesn’t give a ********.

The sooner we move away from Dzeko the better but I am not convinced Kalinic will do any better. Maybe I am underrating his link up play a little bit regardless on ability alon I don’t think many players are on Dzeko’s level.

if the question is can Kalinic do better than Dzeko currently in this team and style of play then yes absolutely.

11. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    He doesnt have "it" to play the 10. Another one who melts under pressure. We can move on quickly and make a tidy profit or continue to watch him frustrate for years to come.

12. Haakon24

Haakon24 Member+

Mar 15, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    People are way too invested in their narrative of him being a “beta” or “cuck” or whatever buzzword they moved on to

tmontana52 repped this.
  13. shiboboo

shiboboo Member+

Nov 13, 2010
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I'm not sure this is a dip in form for Lorenzo instead of the beginning part of this season being the outlier.

He's incredibly soft mentally. The ball Mancini played through to him in the box a few games back and lorenzo shied away from really going after it was very telling.

Zaniolo should be in the middle behind the striker.

Andreas, Oban14 and La Magica repped this.
  14. Haakon24

Haakon24 Member+

Mar 15, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    He doesn’t have to play the 10, he wasn’t any worse than Cristante when he’s played deep. He’s worth it as a squad option at the very least unless an enormous offer comes in

shiboboo repped this.
  15. Haakon24

Haakon24 Member+

Mar 15, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    He’s had periods last season too where he was our best player. Regardless of what you think of him he is the only player who have managed to string 3 consecutive decent appearances in a row at 10 for Roma in the last 2 years.

In his Roma career he has been decent to great more often than he has been crap. He hasn’t been outright bad until relatively recently

16. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    #116 La Magica, Mar 2, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2020
    Thats the only position I would play him as well. His first time long passing from deep is his best asset. 10's need arrogance. He simply melts. I dont think its a narrative to label that a "beta" mentality. I want the teams playmaker to be a cocky shithead . No matter how many times you mess up to still look for the ball because you know you can make the difference. Pellegrini aint it. A year ago I really though he was. He might be a Roma boy but I would ship him the first big offer comes.

17. shiboboo

shiboboo Member+

Nov 13, 2010
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I disagree. Zaniolo was better at #10 than Lorenzo last year when they were alternating. However, with Under's injury and Pellegrini unable to play the wing, Zaniolo was moved outside. For me, Zaniolo's best play is in the middle with freedom to roam, and he's a stronger player than Lorenzo.

If lorenzo were a stronger character, it wouldn't be such an issue to sacrifice Zaniolo to the wing, where he's still a strong player.

Andreas, Oban14, Vulpinous and 1 other person repped this.
  18. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Yes, a player with the character to keep looking for the ball. Put your best players in their best roles instead of moving them to fit lesser players. A simple rule to start building a side.

19. shiboboo

shiboboo Member+

Nov 13, 2010
    Club:
    AS Roma
    This, I agree with. I think he and Cristante are likely interchangeable in the midfield 2, though Pellegrini has a higher ceiling there imo, just based on overall skill and ability.

However, part of me thinks we should unload him for 40-50 million if people are still dazzled by his early season form.

20. Haakon24

Haakon24 Member+

Mar 15, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    I don’t see anyone offering much more than 30 million for him tbh.

21. Haakon24

Haakon24 Member+

Mar 15, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Last year? I can’t agree with that. Zaniolo’s passing was so bad to the point of hurting our play. I don’t think he was as good as Lorenzo playing there last year, although he is clearly the better player overall.

I see him playing there with great success in the future. Now that Lorenzo is playing like crap it would be great for him to have another go at playing there. I think he would obviously be better than Lorenzo playing there now but when he did he was not as consistent as he is now, while Pellegrini was one of the only players making our attack tick.

nguoiaoden repped this.