MD26 Cagliari vs Roma (March 1st, 2020)

Discussion in 'AS Roma' started by Midfield General, Feb 28, 2020.

1. FireTrapatoni

FireTrapatoni Member+

AS Roma
    Italy
    Jun 17, 2004
    Kalinic has had enough of Cacciatore

2. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006
    Kalinic gets punched in the face and nothing comes of it?

3. shiboboo

shiboboo Member+

Nov 13, 2010
    Club:
    AS Roma
    How are they not down to 10 for that? Just cause he sucks at punching?

4. Andreas

Andreas Member+

May 1, 2011
    Netherlands
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece
    Wow since when do they tolerate throwing punches? Ridiculous

5. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Exactly but you might as well talk to a wall.

Midfield General repped this.
  6. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006
    Ugly win, but I'll gladly take the 3pts...

7. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    1234190891683897345 is not a valid tweet id

Midfield General, shiboboo and Andreas repped this.
  8. r0adrunner

r0adrunner Member+

Jun 4, 2011
    London, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    It was interesting to see us play with a striker playing in a more orthodox way than Dzeko does: less dropping deep and laying off passes, more runs behind the defence and spending more time in the opposition penalty area.

I have the feeling that adjustment helped to create more space in and around the opposition penalty area and made it easier for our forwards to connect with each other.

9. FireTrapatoni

FireTrapatoni Member+

AS Roma
    Italy
    Jun 17, 2004
    #84 FireTrapatoni, Mar 1, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2020
    Well part of that is due to the fact that Dzeko, unlike, Kalinic, also has the ability to pass and create scoring chances for him and others around him.

tomer48 and Haakon24 repped this.
  10. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    Bruno Cafu waiting for Java to show up.

IMG_7722.jpg

Bizubani, Haakon24, Vulpinous and 6 others repped this.
  11. Midfield General

Jun 14, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. Big Bad Wolf

Big Bad Wolf Member+

Dec 17, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    He definitely reminded me of Cafu with his shots on goal today. Nonetheless, his return has been a pleasant surprise. Hope he keeps it up.

13. Big Bad Wolf

Big Bad Wolf Member+

Dec 17, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Huh?

14. r0adrunner

r0adrunner Member+

Jun 4, 2011
    London, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yes, but Kalanic did that today too; his header into the path of Kluivert from Kolarov's long pass for the third goal was an exceptional piece of play.

15. Haakon24

Haakon24 Member+

Mar 15, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    “It’s far from clear that he isn’t a better player than Dzeko” possibly the hottest take I have ever seen on this forum :ROFLMAO:
    The guy has been garbage for 3 years now. 2 open goals and he’s better than Dzeko, Jesus Christ.

tomer48, shiboboo and Andreas repped this.
  16. FireTrapatoni

FireTrapatoni Member+

AS Roma
    Italy
    Jun 17, 2004
    What's to huh about? Dzeko's passing and playmaking abilities have always been underrated because he is a giant sized striker. He is probably just as good at doing that than finishing chances. His problem has always been consistency and falling asleep for matches at a time, not his overall abilities.

Andreas, shiboboo and Haakon24 repped this.
  17. mancini30

mancini30 Member+

Jul 20, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Both Dzeko and Kakinshit are good at link up play, but cant score
    Fair?

18. Haakon24

Haakon24 Member+

Mar 15, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    At this point in his career is way better at playmaking than he is at scoring. Like you said people overlook it because of his size.

shiboboo repped this.
  19. Big Bad Wolf

Big Bad Wolf Member+

Dec 17, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    #94 Big Bad Wolf, Mar 2, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2020
    Where's the take? Where do I say he is inarguably better than Dzeko? I simply made the point that it's not clear that he isn't actually a better player than Dzeko at this point in their respective careers. From what I've seen, Kalinic links up better with his teammates and thus keeps the play moving. If you've been paying attention and know what you're looking at, you'll have noted a long time ago that Dzeko has an awful habit of hogging/holding on to the ball for far too long when there's no need to. Sure, very occasionally he'll break free and play a good pass..............but, throw enough shit at the wall.....

Dzeko is clearly past his prime now. He sleepwalks through large chunks of games these days. I cant remember the last time he made a run to the near post. You think I pulled this out of my ass just because Kalinic managed to score a couple of tap in goals yesterday? So I ask again, where's the 'hot' take?

The basic point is this. Should Kalinic start ahead of Dzeko all the time? No. Should he start more often in place of Dzeko? Absolutely yes.

La Magica repped this.
  20. mancini30

mancini30 Member+

Jul 20, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Dzeko drop down and holds the ball too long most of the time, and our midfielder like never get into the box.

21. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    #96 La Magica, Mar 2, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2020
    This is a fair reasonable observation. I dont see what needs to be disputed. Even when Kalinic started previously he was very good with those little lay offs and touches that kept the play moving. Dzeko (when he is up for it once every 2 months) is very good at shielding and protecting the ball then laying it off but its not a fluid motion like what we have seen from Kalinic in his limited play. A style more suited to Fonseca's ideas.

I dont particularity like Kalinic, although thats mostly bias from his previously shown shitty attitude throughout his career. I have been overly harsh on him since coming here because of that but I must admit his general play is CLEARLY an upgrade. If anything, its more team orientated and that leads to fluid play. That along with a working AM behind him and a better balanced midfield with a technical player in Villar alongside a worker. Little details in general play improve things and that allows confidence to grow . Combined, they all create a snowball effect.

We were tired. This was not our best game and we made mistakes defensively but it was the most balanced our core has been in quite some time. Core, I am talking about the balance between the midfield duo, the AM and the CF in regards to how Fonseca wants to play football. Certainly the best since Diawara and Pastore played.

The club needs to make ballsy decisions. Selling these so called star players who are non functioning is the way forward.

22. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  23. muptonfish

muptonfish Member

Oct 10, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Wait, we are supposed to be mad at one of the moves that Monchi got right?

24. Midfield General

Jun 14, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Leave me to mourn one of my favorite Roma players in my own manner.

Oban14 and shiboboo repped this.
  25. Haakon24

Haakon24 Member+

Mar 15, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    I’m sorry but claiming Kalinic is clearly better than Dzeko in build up play is absolutely ridiculous. Kalinic has shown very little link up play before this game, and even if he did you are comparing a well rested Kalinic to Dzeko in some of the worst form of his Roma career. You say it’s not based on this game but he’s showed nothing before this, on the other hand Dzeko when he is in form is actually a good playmaker. There’s no way you’d be claiming Kalinic is better at linking up if he had a stinker yesterday.

Dzeko being better at linking up is just not disputable. Now if you were to argue that Kalinic actually making runs into the box opens up more passing lanes and makes our overall play better you’d have a point. But to say that Kalinic is better or even close to the same level as Dzeko at link up play is just wrong. Dzeko is one of the best passing strikers in the league, his problem is that he is a lazy piece of shit. Linking up play is the only thing Dzeko is still good at.

I’d love for Kalinic to play his brains out and prove me wrong, because Dzeko is garbage right now. But he has to do a LOT more to even begin to compare to Dzeko.