MD23: Roma vs Bologna (February 7, 2020)

Discussion in 'AS Roma' started by Midfield General, Feb 7, 2020.

1. r0adrunner

r0adrunner Member+

Jun 4, 2011
    London, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    If you lower expectations that means yyou aim to qualify for EL since the objective this season was to qualiy for CL.

You will find the Olimpico is even more empty if that's the aim.

2. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Once again this is thinking with a proper long term strategy and not short term. Things might get worse in the short term but this way there is a clear long term aim. Unlike what we see from Roma under Jimmys ownership of constant buying and selling. Fans will come back if they see a side of real spirit being formed.

I still have hope for Fonseca to turn this around but as BBW pointed out above, the timing of facing Atalanta is not the best. If any team in the league right now can sense blood and go for the kill its them. If Fosenca is sacked the overall strategy I have proposed is still a better option than anything we have done in 8 years. When/if a stadium is built Roma can look to a different strategy within a big budget.

wm72 repped this.
  3. SaI'

SaI' Red Card

May 26, 2019
    Certaldo
    I’d sack Fonseca tomorrow, only IF we could bring back Spalletti.

Sorry to say.

4. SaI'

SaI' Red Card

May 26, 2019
    Certaldo
    6 hours later:
    [​IMG]

La Magica, shiboboo, decola and 2 others repped this.
  5. SaI'

SaI' Red Card

May 26, 2019
    Certaldo
    Florenzi

6. r0adrunner

r0adrunner Member+

Jun 4, 2011
    London, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I don't agree.

If performances and results deteriorate - even in the short term - you risk falling numbers of fans at the stadium (only 32k attended the game against Bologna), sponsorship values fall (the agreement with Qatar Airways expires within the next 12 months, plus there are secondary sponsors to consider) and you lose significant revenue from the league TV deal (which now has a more performance-based distribution formula) and UEFA from CL/EL, not to mention visibility and appeal in attracting new fans in Italy and abroad.

If low-budget was the way to go all the powerful clubs in Europe would do it. The fact none of them do proves it cannot work.

tomer48 repped this.
  7. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Thats ok, I dont care whether you agree or not. You're short sighted and cannot see a different way. You also seem to be mistaking for a powerful club. We do not have the capability to do it sustainability. One bad year and the club is freaking out.
    The saying to go forward you must go back holds weight in this hypothetical way out of this. Roma will always have a respectable turnout and it swells significantly when the team is playing well. Especially if they see a young hungry side. Football changes quickly and a good team can come about in the blink of an eye.

Haakon24 and Vulpinous repped this.
  8. r0adrunner

r0adrunner Member+

Jun 4, 2011
    London, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    What do you mean when you say?

You also seem to be mistaking for a powerful club. We do not have the capability to do it sustainability.

I understand that you think I'm short-sighted, but if this was a cheaper route to having a consistently competitive team in both national premier league and CL/EL, why don't other clubs do it? If you were going to answre that Lazio do it this wqay (which is true), I would remind you that next season will be their first CL appearance for 13 years.

9. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Roma. I don't care to add anything more to this.

10. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    We are very thin in the double pivot area. The drop off from Diawara to Cristante is massive.

Add to that constant individual mistakes in defence and attack and you have a recipe for disaster.

We have to pray that Diawara comes back soon. Fonseca could also try some options, like Cengis in the no.10 role although I doubt it. But above all the players need to regain their focus and stop the silly mistakes, its impossible to win like this.

Smalling alone has been responsible for 3-4 goals since the break. Mancini is not much better either.

wm72 and Midfield General repped this.
  11. Haakon24

Haakon24 Member+

Mar 15, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    It’s pretty obvious. If big clubs spend big and fail nothing happens. If Roma spend big and fail we go bankrupt. It’s not that spending less is necessarily more successful, Roma cannot bear the risk of spending tons of money like the biggest clubs in the world can. That’s why Dortmund, Lazio and Roma operate as they do and Man City, Real and PSG operate as they do.

What you are suggesting is exactly what Leeds did and they’ve been lingering in the lower divisions for over a decade because of it. That’s why your suggestion is short sighted.

shiboboo repped this.
  12. Henchag

Henchag Member+

Aug 26, 2009
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    the problem is that of management than a coach, even if Fonseca is fired I dont trust this management to get the right coach.They are not interested in paying, Conte was their in summer and had Totti blessing.They didnt want to pay.
    Now there is Allegri , free.They dont want to hire Allegri either.
    When Napoli hire Ancelotti, Inter hire Conte.. We should hire on the level as well. Coaches that have resume with championships.

If am not mistaken Fonseca has 10 coaches in Serie A who earn more than him, and Fonseca had to let go of some money to Shakhtar in summer to join us.

HeadBurn3r and tomer48 repped this.
  13. Henchag

Henchag Member+

Aug 26, 2009
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    There is no excuse for not qualifyin to CL , as 4th spot is on pace for less than 70 points.

14. SaI'

SaI' Red Card

May 26, 2019
    Certaldo
    Spalletti

Thank you.

Andreas and Midfield General repped this.
  15. Henchag

Henchag Member+

Aug 26, 2009
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Resume with championships.

Thank you

Shen-O repped this.
  16. SaI'

SaI' Red Card

May 26, 2019
    Certaldo
    87 punti

Thank you.

Midfield General repped this.
  17. ErPupone

ErPupone Member+

Aug 27, 2015
    Austria
    Club:
    AS Roma
    It really comes down to this. Our best run of games (7-1-1) was exactly the time when Cristante was injured.

tmontana52, Andreas and SaI' repped this.
  18. Haakon24

Haakon24 Member+

Mar 15, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    When Diawara doesn’t play we don’t have anyone capable of keeping the ball under pressure. Makes me miss Pek

wm72 and Midfield General repped this.
  19. tomer48

tomer48 Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Cant agree more , we had a decade of mediocre coaches and it brought us nothing.
    The only things we have achieved(not titles , but things like CL progress/second finish in the league) are because we had a genius running the market(Sabatini) and a league without competition except Juventus.

20. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Pek recently said the same thing when he was at the games while in Rome. Veretout is good but he needs a director beside him.

wm72 and Haakon24 repped this.
  21. SaI'

SaI' Red Card

May 26, 2019
    Certaldo
    Shen-O and shiboboo repped this.
  22. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    He was very impressive again as was Svanberg beside him. Both calm and confident on the ball.

shiboboo and SaI' repped this.
  23. Matrim

Matrim Member+

Feb 10, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Fonseca is really intimidating everyone he've ever rolled over for. Which at this point is half of Serie A and their EL cousins.

24. Andreas

Andreas Member+

May 1, 2011
    Netherlands
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece
    shiboboo repped this.