MD22: Sassuolo vs Roma (February 1, 2020)

Discussion in 'AS Roma' started by SaI', Feb 1, 2020.

1. noeffortcheerforopp.

dortmund
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Feb 2, 2020
    #101 noeffortcheerforopp., Feb 2, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2020
    lol he is paid to score goals he scored one just if defence would not allow opposition to score would be splendid especialy smalling at faulth for two goals or do you think dzeko should ran back and be cb or dm. my first team is dortmund but roma for dzeko and watching them play in first half i cheered for sassuolo from then

2. r0adrunner

r0adrunner Member+

Jun 4, 2011
    London, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    You're right, our performance in the first half certainly helped Sassuolo, but they ruthlessly exploited it and that is to their credit.

Including the two Coppa Italia games, we have conceded 13 goals in 7 games: very poor.

3. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    Ibanez/Kolarov/Mancini/Villar in midfield until Diawara is back, Cristante can’t start anymore.

4. Goduerza

Goduerza Member+

Jun 13, 2008
    Bulgaria
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I was just thinking the same thing. Cristante's best season (or only good season) was when playing in a completely different position and role. He's being shoehorned into a defensive midfielder and he's doing a terrible job. He's just so slow... surely Fonseca sees this too.

We have plenty of CB's, so I would be happy to see Mancini return to midfield. That seems to be the best solution for now.

Shen-O and wm72 repped this.
  5. r0adrunner

r0adrunner Member+

Jun 4, 2011
    London, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Cristante is a mediocre player. This was fairly obvious when we bought him.

The responsibility for his poor performances is with the person who bought him for all that money. A very poor decision.

giallorosso86, SaI' and rougou repped this.
  6. Matrim

Matrim Member+

Feb 10, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Lol... now that Florenzi is gone it took you less than 90 minutes to find a new scapegoat for why we are performing worse than mighty Atalanta...

Cristante is the shittest midfielder ever, that's a fact, but he isn't enough to 'stop' a full team of "champions" from winning a match. Yhe whole squad is shit, through and through. And are led by a headless chicken who cannot scrape 1/2 the points that a newly appointed Gatusso in crappy Naples does.

Well, at least we know the new magical name of a player that when he's gone, we'll start winning BIG: Cristante. Now I expect every time he's on the pitch, Fonseca will be getting another one of those golden passes for stupidity. :D

Building for the future TM

7. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Another Dortmund fan watching Roma. We'll need to get you a little sub forum here soon. Part of a forwards job is to work for space. You haven't watched him enough at to Roma to understand my point. A fine example of the stats misleading and not telling the whole story.

8. rougou

rougou Member+

Dec 7, 2003
    Hyogo
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Either put Mancini back in midfield or on the bench.

9. SaI'

SaI' Red Card

May 26, 2019
    Certaldo

Shen-O repped this.
  10. SaI'

SaI' Red Card

May 26, 2019
    Certaldo
  11. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
  13. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    https://www.football-italia.net/149530/dzeko-roma-not-serie-level

Also worth looking into his comments more.

“I keep telling the lads, give me the ball, I am not getting much service at the moment,”
    :laugh: Not much point giving him the ball when a stiff breeze knocks him off balance.

“The trouble with the pressing game is that all it takes is one person to be late and it all falls apart"

Nobody is there to call this big plank out and make him accountable. Pot kettle you dickhead . (Calling him out was a job for De Rossi around the squad that some people didnt get)

shiboboo, Shen-O and SaI' repped this.
  14. Midgo

Midgo Member

Oct 8, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma

Dzeko is right though and Fonseca is failling in whatever he's trying to make the team show on the pitch.

15. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    #115 La Magica, Feb 4, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
    He is but he cant see his own fault.
    The pressing starts with him as the first point of reference as the centre forward. If one player doesnt press then the whole thing does fall apart.

Fonseca made a point about leaving to much space behind Cristante which is also true. He is no world beater in that position but he is also an easy scape goat to what we witnessed. Leaving that much space leaves him exposed as it would any player. If you press it much be as a compact team. If you leave space between lines and the midfield press but the defence sit then you will be destroyed as seen on the 2nd goal. I think the defence got scared of the direct long ball after the first goal so sat back. Allowing Sassuolo with easy counter attacking possession through the lines from midfield into our defence.

Whats that indicating? That the press isnt working and its allowing Sassuolo to hit a direct accurate ball from their centre midfield area. Meaning they have too much time and space to pick that pass. Football is easy when you have time and half a pitch to pick a ball. This also ties into an attitude problem. They think they are better than some opponents so turn up with a poor attitude. Contrast that to the derby attitude. This is a life long Roma problem.

Its suicidal in a team to play a high press with huge spaces between defence and midfield.

Now look through the team and see who would be culpable of not pressing so much. Two players scream to me. Pellegrini and lord " just pass the ball to me and we'll be fine" Dzeko.

If you play an aggressive press the team needs to be on point as a group. The secondary problems are incidents like Mancini sliding wildly beyond the player or Cristante chasing after a guy who seems to have acres of space and nobody near him. The main issue starts further up the pitch.

Both Pellegrini and Dzeko are sunshine players and in a team of more resources would be dropped. Fonseca needs to make a big decision in these 2 areas. He had Pastore working hard in that area on his run of form. It had people shocked to see Pastore pressing but he got it.

Midfield General and shiboboo repped this.
  16. SaI'

SaI' Red Card

May 26, 2019
    Certaldo
    Now I see that you took your time to think and write all that, but if we had Florenzi none of those problems would have happened.